Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 03-27-2001, 08:32 PM   #1
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've read suggestions on the board that involve using a crate or crates to pass through the fires and jam the gate open.

What if you have no crates? I methodically smashed them all looking for a poison cure potion. If I'd known they'd be needed, I would have kept at least one.

Now I'm stuck. The walkthrough (and the strategy guide) says: "Walk through the Central Fire in front of the Portcullis, and then walk backward through it. After doing that, walk around the edge of the room and 'slip through the gate'" Well, it simply doesn't WORK. I observe that the gate will open briefly when you step through the fire the first time, but then closes right away. Walking BACKWARD through the fire does nothing that I can see. The gate remains closed. If you try to walk around the edge of the room (you get burned twice more) you arrive on the other side of the central fire (in front of the Portcullis) and the door remains closed. What am I missing?

Hawkwind

Hawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 08:49 PM   #2
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

Are you on the left or right (Warrior or Wizard)
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 08:52 PM   #3
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

On the right - Wizard's path.
Old 03-27-2001, 08:59 PM   #4
Gaius Pecunia
Dungeon Master

I took the left, and wish I hadn't. If there are levers on your side, did you pull both of them?
Gaius Pecunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2001, 09:26 PM   #5
Hawkwind
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Re: Levers....

None that I can see. As I said, the book only mentions walking through the fire. But can't you go back to a saved game and then try the other way? Here's what the book says about the Warrior's path (Left Gate)

WARNING SPOILERS FOLLOW>>>>>>>>>>

There's the 2 levers & the Central Healing Fire. But if you use the fire to heal, it resets the room. Avoid the fire, throw the levers and walk out along the sides of the room.

Hope that helps some....

Hawkwind
Old 03-27-2001, 10:41 PM   #6
Moni

: )
(I replied in Wizardman's thread, having not seen this one yet.)

The side you are in is do-able by running through the central fire with a crate (broken or not) in hand and hoping it stops the gate.

If you get as frustrated as I did with it, you can always stack broken crates and climb them to get the other jindol and take the other path where you merely avoid the central fire while you flip the levers on either side.

: )
Moni
Old 03-28-2001, 12:23 AM   #7
KattB
Dungeon Master

First, rember to save, save,SAVE.
I took a opend chest. use your strongest person. then I got to the space (I mean space too..not fire..done that too..sigh)saved..again, then ran and jumped to the gate. sometimes it took me a few times to get my timing right, that is why you save before you enter the fire room and again right before the last fire..so you don't have to do all the fires again. FINALY, my timing was right and I kepth the gate open. you know how to carry something, right?
hope this helps a little.
Kathy
KattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 01:08 PM   #8
KBT904
Elite Waterdeep Guard

One way (in the healing fire side) is to set the respawn rate to high and stand in the healing fire and face the gate. When monsters respawn (skeletons in my case)you can run and push them under the gate to jam it, walk through and then watch the gate crush them to death at your leisure
KBT904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 02:04 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Now THERE's a unique Lateral Thought solution! Bravo!

-Sazerac
Sazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 04:03 PM   #10
koolaidfreeservecouk
The Magister

Instead of faffing around with crates, just line your party up behind the first fire, then RUN straight thru the healing flame and 50% of the time you are quick enough to beat the falling gate (make sure pixies, dwarves or ratlings are in the front)
Si.
koolaidfreeservecouk is offline   Reply With Quote