Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 01-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Default DC Universe Online

Anyone else playing it? One of the best at-launch MMOs I've ever played. It makes a refreshing change from WoW to attack with the mouse buttons and generate combos. And as a healer, being able to get my hands dirty and contribute to damage output is a lot more fun than sitting back watching the fights unfold. I always thought I was born too late and on the wrong side of the Atlantic to discover the comic book world, but I gotta admit the lore is fascinating (I've gone Batman-crazy atm, playing Arkham Asylum etc.)

My superhero is Raptor, a nature healer on the EU PvP server.
Jaradu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: DC Universe Online

I am so toying with getting it, - and now even more so since you say it's good. Might do so this weekend.

Oh I forgot to ask, what kind of rig are you running with? And does it play well with your current setup - performance-wise, I mean.

Last edited by SpiritWarrior; 01-15-2011 at 01:59 PM.
SpiritWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Never been a fan of the DC universe.

But oh man.... This is the first thing to come along that made me NOT want to play WoW.....

I'm loving it so far, and I'm about 4 bars from 30 so we'll see how end game is. But I love that it's a game for alt-o-holics too, every new character feels like a whole new game, and the instances are brilliant, it's just so different from WoW (in a good way) I can't even explain it, but it doesn't feel like I'm pushing a spell and waiting for it to happen, it's like all combat is super real time.

Anyways, I would recommend people give it a try, or wait for a free trial, but it is super fun (Pun intended)
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yeah, I'm more of a Marvel kid also, although I love superheroes in general so can adapt. I picked the game up this morning. Beyond Batman and Superman, I know very little lore about the DC universe. Many of the iconic supervillains and heroes are new to me, whereis if this was Marvel, I'd be naming them all as they show up like a giddy fanboi. Still, like I said, I have no problem adapting if the game is good.

I am just bitter that Marvel have yet to tap the MMO market. It is a NO BRAINER to launch an MMO in the Marvel Universe. There is such an untapped market there. Old-school Spidey fans like our parents, new-school fans like us, all the comic collectors, animators etc. It's a veritable goldmine that has not been opened yet. Marvel need only approach a reputable game develepor with half a clue how to make games (no more Cryptic Studios please), give them the license to use their characters and boom. They will come. I will come, at least.

But, hey, may the best man win. DC got it out first, surprisingly. More power to them for seeing an opportunity and seizing it. And the game looks to be a hit so far. I only played for an hour or two, but the art is beautiful and fitting and the gameplay is definately fun and action-packed. I agree, it is a refreshing change from WoW. It immediately looks and plays better than the semi recent Champions Online and older City of Heroes. Gonna play more tonight for a bit if I get the time.