Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Sorry if anyone got frightened by the topic header, but short of dancing nekkid on the roof of my abode, I am at a loss as to how to resolve my conundrum.....which is this.....

Barry the Sprout is a longtime and revered member of IW (joined 19/10/2001 if my memory serves me well). I have noticed a connection between his online identity and the works of a certain English author by the name of Robert Rankin.

Bear with me , oh best beloved, while I put my proposal forward for general dissection...

I have read several of the multitudinous ourpourings of the abovementioned author, and, though not fully cognisant of his general worldview, I have never come across a character called Barry the Sprout, general Brentfordness and other miscellaneous oddities not withstanding.

However, as I peruse the wondrous magnificence of "The Witches of Chiswick", lo and behold, slap bang in the first third of the book, who should turn up but BARRY THE SPROUT!!!. This book was first published in 2003!!

Now, my question is this, how the heck did Bary the Sprout become a member here two years before he appeared in the works of the author with whom he is obviously attached??

Enquiring minds (well mine) want to know

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I don`t know. You should ask him. (PM)
Old 06-19-2004, 06:29 PM   #3
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
I don`t know. You should ask him. (PM)
Too easy, and not likely to generate enough speculation....

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 06-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
Animal
Gold Dragon

Perhaps it was written long before it was published? Perhaps Robert Rankin and Barry the Sprout are one in the same? Maybe, Robert Rankin stole the name Barry the Sprout from IW?

I'm not sure, but I smell a conspiracy!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:25 PM   #5
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Of course it could also be just coincidence. Working in a patent and trademark office, I cannot tell you how many times a client has come to us wanting to trademark a name for their business, and it sounds so unique, yet when we do a search for all the trademarks already out there, we find the exact same name, sometimes many of them, even for the same type of business. I guess it is one of those GMTA things. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I could be wrong! Just speculating.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 06-19-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

You would be surprised at who has become a member here.. MANY Authors of Novels--some using their real names, some a nickname. Not just Authors either. Many Game Dev's and even some Hollywood people. When it first happened, I was VERY shocked they would even find IW.. but it is humbling.

Mouse, I bet Barry is that Author..

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Old 06-19-2004, 08:53 PM   #7
Jorath Calar
Harper

New Slogan for IW

Ironworks, the home of the stars...

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-19-2004, 09:01 PM   #8
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

or perhaps he is just a figment of our imaginations?
Old 06-19-2004, 09:20 PM   #9
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

No Barry's a student, just graduating, I doubt he's that author. "Barry the Sprout" is probably not a unique name.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 06-19-2004, 09:56 PM   #10
Stormymystic
Knight of the Rose

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
No Barry's a student, just graduating, I doubt he's that author. "Barry the Sprout" is probably not a unique name.
so you are saying just because he is a student, he can not be an author as well? wow talk about your sterotyping