Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

I'm just about to finish a run through NWN2 and was going to start again when I was going to figure out what build to run next. I then realized there haven't been any posts regarding what really works for different classes and what everyone seems to be playing through it and thought it would be fun to see what everyone else is playing. I'll probally do an AA next ( see previous posts) but my last build was a tank who really rocked. He was a 1/2 orc scythe barb (1)/ft(12) / Wm (7). With the proper enchanted weapon ( keen adamantine +5 scythe maybe I will also craft an adamantine +5 holy one for a back up) he could mow down anything. He also took for grins, monkey grip so in really tough fights he goes board and scythe ( that should be an automatic +5 to indimitate in my book). With everthing in str and a few bags of holding, money was not a problem when I could carry everything in the warehouse in act 1.
Hope to hear from everyone.
P.S If you didn't already know, scythe is NOT an exotic in NWN2.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Neither are kukri...a fact I wish I'd known on my first run through, when I tried the Duelist. Now that I have my video issues lined out, literally, no more lines everywhere, I can get back to trying some other stuff. I'm really hating how slowly some of my NWN 1 builds develop, by the time I start getting decent, the game's over.

However, at this time I have a dwarven tank build going, with emphasis on crafting, a barbarian build, with emphasis on tank, and a bard/assassin/aa in the planning stages. If only I can figure out a way to be totally evil, and still keep some influence with certain party members.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 PM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

As I've said before, the improvements to parry really made it a good skill. Just remember to take improved parry and focus on either single weapons, and becoming a duelist, or take dual-wielding and take the two-weapon defense feats. I played a duelist with a single rapier and when I went in parry mode I started owning most bosses even!
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #4
toot033
Red Wizard of Thay

forgot to post ab @ lvl 20 and I haven't started act 3 yet, +38/33/28/23 w/ +5 keen scythe...
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Oh, just so you know, all my builds are working, just some are working better than others... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

I've not actually come across a build I like that much yet. My monk(11)/fighter(2)/weapon master(7) was okay, although I dislike using kamas; maybe I'll edit him to use a quarterstaff instead; my sorcerer(9)/pale master(1)/eldritch knight(10) was okay.. nothing especially special, although the upgrade from the bone armour was nice. Monk(9)/sorc(1)/RDD(10) was again fun - a nice theme, if nothing else.

Currently, I'm alternating between my fighter(6)/WM(7)/Duellist(5)/Frenzied Berserker(2) (a variation of that was to lose the duellist and go straight FB. Originally it was going to be a monk/fighter/WM/FB - but for some reason, the monk class doesn't give 'cleave' as the manual says it does.) & my monk(1)/druid(x)(who shall become a sacred fist if they ever release it in the expansion, and therefore, shall be stuck at druid(9) until they do.

All in all, I must say that my favourite build has been the fighter/WM/duellist/FB and my monk/sorc/RDD.

My monk/druid is all right, but I don't especially enjoying playing a druid as my PC; I'd much rather have Elanee as support.

As you may've guessed, I like my monks and weapon masters.

[ 06-05-2007, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I like my rogue types, and bards. Lots of ways you can go with either base. The rogue duelist was ok, but her AB never got near high enough, I didn't think, for what her dex was. I didn't do any crafting in that game though, so I could get used to the new rules without throwing a bunch of stuff into the mix to confuse myself with.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Actually a rogue duelist loses only 2 base attack vs. a fighter/rogue/duelist (must have one rogue level to get the necessary tumble) and 3 vs. a fighter. So you problem must have been with the weapons/attributes/statboosters.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
Zebodog

I've never been too creative, but the only character that didn't really work all that well for me is a Tiefling Warlock. For some reason, I keep getting my ass handed too me when I'm trying to get the rod for Nasher.

Aasamir Paladin/Neverwinter Nine kicks copious amounts of booty.
Drow Sorceress was cool as was my evil Halfling Rogue/Shadowdancer/Assasin.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on the Deep Gnome. From an RP perspective, I think it would be enjoyable, but the -3 level adjustment seems too hefty.
*Disclaimer: If this thread, or a link within this thread leads you to follow advice that crashes/explodes/burns down or any way damages your system or causes personal stress or hardship, I am in no way responsible for any problems.*
Zebodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:39 AM   #10
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

And I don't even like a single level adjustment.

I never understood why they chose to implement the Warlock. As far as I'm concerned it is purely a powergaming class, devoid of any roleplaying (well whooptydoo, I can choose between being evil and chaotic or both, and what form my blast takes!!1!)
To make matters worse, I actually read the source material the class comes from, and it was filled to the brink with munchkin, cheese and other silly LARPing.