Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 02-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I just tried it again and it seems you can't pause, r even save in this mode. Is that correct?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #2
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There are some modules out there, or there used to be, where this was possible, although I don't really understand why. If you don't actually have the module on your harddrive, then saving saves a file on the host computer, which could get space consumming in a hurry, depending on the size of the module, imagine 10 people saving while playing in Z's mod...Player pause is just as annoying as a non local timestop spell too. That's one of the things that takes some getting used to though, when you have learned to save often, and to pause to plan a strategy. Not being able to pause sort of adds some "realism".
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #3
Legolas
Jack Burton

Being able to pause a multiplayer game is a server setting. DMs are always able to pause a module, players may or may not be.
As our bard said, if a lot of players use the pause button often that's plain annoying for the rest. For this reason, most servers disallow player pausing.

Exceptions are usually found in the Story or Campaign modules intended for a small party.

Saving the module in multiplayer stores player locations and the state of the world (monsters slain, items left behind, etc.). It won't spawn PCs when their player isn't there though. Saving, again, is limited to DMs only, and is most often used when players only have time to finish part of a module in any one session. Actually reloading because something was done incorrectly is rare.

What you can save is your character. This'll create a copy of the character with levels, items, and whatnot, and put it in your Local Vault folder, even in a Server Vault game.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Yeah, I fully understand. Suffice it to say, it's not my thing. I'm really a fan of true turn-based gaming anyway.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:48 AM   #5
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Variol have you tried Jagged Alliance? One of the best turn based stratagy games ever made. Sir Tech does it. It is not fantasy but mercenary with modern weapons. Also X-Com was great to.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks Nightwing! I'vr heard lots of good stuff about it. It does sound like the kinda of gaming style I'm interested in. I,m pretty sure I'll only find it used at this point though. I think I've even seen it bundled?
Old 02-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #7
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

There is a Jagged Alliance gold pack out there for $15-$20. I only play turn based games so there has been quite a drought lately. Wizardry is getting worn out and I am going to have to buy another copy just in case disk 3 gets too many scratches. Good news is heroes V is comming out in the spring and they are going back to what made heroes of Might and Magic III so good.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
banzai
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightwing:
Variol have you tried Jagged Alliance? One of the best turn based stratagy games ever made. Sir Tech does it. It is not fantasy but mercenary with modern weapons. Also X-Com was great to.
Oh my, those were the times. You´re absolutely right, X-COM and it´s predecessor UFO - Enemy Unknown still belong to my all-time turn-based strategy favourites !!!

Btw - if you´re interested you can get both of them for free (legally):

X - COM

UFO - Enemy Unknown
Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #9
Legolas
Jack Burton

I thought I preferred turn-based gaming too after Enemy Unknown/Defender, but then I always used real-time for Apocalypse even when given the choice. Terror from the Deep, by the way, is least fun of the three and has some serious tech tree bugs.
Abandonia has all three for download.

Oh wait, is this turning into a Misc games thread now? Er... What I mean is, yay NWN [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #10
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Too funny Legolas, I do agree about TFTD although at the time it was great. I find the original X-COM to be the best. I did not know you could download it. Does it work on the modern machines?