Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 11:29 AM   #11
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
Is there a point to their existence, or are they merely extra decoration?
It'd be a shame to resort to violence after all.
If you enjoy a good bar fight go ahead. Just remember not to use any mass effect spells. They will not offer you the same courtesy so it is a tough fight.

Loved this mod by the way, the burning skeletons were a pain in the arse but fun. There are other new cool encounters along the way one in HoW and they would be considered spoilers. Best thing I liked about the mod was the new equipment available.

[ 06-20-2006, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
Raffin
Dungeon Master

Cerebro-Regarding the drow duo the creator/maintainer of AB (who is a great guy whose name slips my mind right now) said something to the effect of: Why don't you talk to them with one of the included NPCs in your party? Aparently he bundled two drow for players to use as characters, and coded a different response for these other two drow when you talk to them. I can't remember what it was, but you did ask [img]smile.gif[/img]

Personally, I enjoy tanking with clerics. And having a single class cleric means you get summon undead a lot quicker, providing some nice skeleton backups.

I have to say, my favorite part of the add-on is the extra merchants and items. For once, mage types can actually learn new spells while in Easthaven, and I like more options on who to sell loot to, especially Isildur in the Inn of Eveningshade.

As to the stacking, well, it's all a matter of preference. I enjoy the combat, strategy, and feel of IWD I most, and dislike the struggle to manage inventory, so I installed all the stacking mods and gift a bag of holding. No more worrying about fitting everything in, no more thousand trips back from the vale to sell axes and swords. That said, those components are all optional-if you don't like playing with them, by all means, don't [img]smile.gif[/img] .

-Raffin
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:32 PM   #13
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Barkeep:
"What's your pleasure?"

Order drink....punch barkeep? (As taken from Curse of the Azure Bonds) Ahh yes, a classic scenario indeed.

I've had a couple of shots at that barfight with those rascally drow and have have been quite soundly whopped both times thus far. I'll be returning for more, no doubt. They're tactically placed awkwardly in the room behind the bar in my game, so quite hard to get into melee with short me actually offing the barkeep. (which would be decidely more than just giving him a black eye a la Azure Bonds)

I'm enjoying the mod from what I can gather, but since purchasing the Full Plate Mail of Faith+1 for my main cleric, have found most combat to be far too easy, having cruised through the Burial Isle - traditionally one of my hardest areas in HoW. I'm actually quite tempted to sell it out of guilt, since my battle-cleric is barely taking any scratches whilst the archers and magic users maim and kill from distance at will. So it makes me think that there aren't really enough creatures with magical weapons to balance out the 'immunity from normal weapons' feature of this particular bit of armour. Sure, it was over 70,000 gold - but my questions regarding balancing issues remain.

I must have missed the npcs you mention Raffin - are they at the start of the game? Perhaps I rushed too hastily through Easthaven and the early Kuldahar sections.

Out of a growing desire for experimentation, I'm also considering dualing my druid (now at level 13) over to fighter in the attempt to make myself a Jaheira-like clone. I'd best act soon though, because I seem to be motoring through this game!

I'm knee deep in Gloomfrost now, enjoying the oh so sweet arctic-ality of it all. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Raffin
Dungeon Master

Cerebro-Sorry about the confusion with the NPCs. I'm going to try and rephrase to make it more clear, please don't be offended [img]smile.gif[/img]

When you create a character, either at the beginning or to fill any empty slot, there's an option to Import an existing character in that slot in your party. The creator of AB included two drow characters (one male, one female) that you can import into one of your party's character slots. If you do that, then use that drow character to talk to the drow in the bar in Kuldahar, they will react differently to you.

Hope that helps.

-Raffin
PS. The only NPC I saw in Easthaven that's AB unique is the guy in Winter's Craddle Tavern that sells cool scrolls.
Raffin is offline   Reply With Quote