Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What popped into your brain when you thought of theThe Taliban before they fell?
Pah! They are weak! They'll meet the Nazis yet! 5 71.43%
Hold me, I'm scared. 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-15-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
Son of Osiris

What do you think of the Taliban?
Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 AM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

I'm missing a few options here, and suspect the possible answers are set up to influence the people towards specific choices (aren't they always )
In any case, I'd have liked to see an option to vote for 'this should really go to the war forum at the bottom of the forums list'...
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 08:53 AM   #3
LordKathen
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas:
I'm missing a few options here, and suspect the possible answers are set up to influence the people towards specific choices (aren't they always )
In any case, I'd have liked to see an option to vote for 'this should really go to the war forum at the bottom of the forums list'...
I agree.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

They are weak in the same sense that the nazis were weak and bound for defeat.

Not because of their lack of fighting prowess or anything in that vein, but a far more fundamental thing. They are weak because their motivations and ideology is built almost solely on hatred,vain pride and opposition against a common foe.

Their ideology might be strong in war, but it is not strong in peace.

This is the same reason that I despise the organisation known as Al Quaeda and it's wretched "holy war". The idea of forming an islamic state built on a common vision of justice and goodness has it's merits. And so hase idea of a strong civilised middle east free from western coercion.

But is this what Al Qaeda is fighting for? Did the 11'th September attack or any other terrorist attack for that matter further the cause of Islam in any way? Hardly!

I, sadly, believe that the same motivations is gaining more and more credibility in the west too. USA was shown as not being as "untouchable" as it believed and now it seems hellbent on achieving this elusive "invulnerability" sacking international treaties, insulting allies and neclecting the struggle for international peace even when this is in it's own interest.

Is the media rejoicing the fall of a despotic regime? No! It repeats it's endless chant: "Where is Saddam, where is Saddam, where is Bin Laden"? It sometimes seems that administering vengeance to these person is the prime objecive.

The countries of the EU is also hastily hopping on the bandwagon lamenting their own loss of "ideological centre of the world" status louder and louder. Many are talking about creating a european army. The main justification of this (expensive) action seems to be returning Europe to it's former political glory.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:03 PM   #5
Son of Osiris

Whoopsie!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:04 PM   #6
Son of Osiris

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
They are weak in the same sense that the nazis were weak and bound for defeat.

Not because of their lack of fighting prowess or anything in that vein, but a far more fundamental thing. They are weak because their motivations and ideology is built almost solely on hatred,vain pride and opposition against a common foe.

Their ideology might be strong in war, but it is not strong in peace.

This is the same reason that I despise the organisation known as Al Quaeda and it's wretched "holy war". The idea of forming an islamic state built on a common vision of justice and goodness has it's merits. And so hase idea of a strong civilised middle east free from western coercion.

But is this what Al Qaeda is fighting for? Did the 11'th September attack or any other terrorist attack for that matter further the cause of Islam in any way? Hardly!

I, sadly, believe that the same motivations is gaining more and more credibility in the west too. USA was shown as not being as "untouchable" as it believed and now it seems hellbent on achieving this elusive "invulnerability" sacking international treaties, insulting allies and neclecting the struggle for international peace even when this is in it's own interest.

Is the media rejoicing the fall of a despotic regime? No! It repeats it's endless chant: "Where is Saddam, where is Saddam, where is Bin Laden"? It sometimes seems that administering vengeance to these person is the prime objecive.

The countries of the EU is also hastily hopping on the bandwagon lamenting their own loss of "ideological centre of the world" status louder and louder. Many are talking about creating a european army. The main justification of this (expensive) action seems to be returning Europe to it's former political glory.
What? Sorry, I read your article while smoking some Atomic Jamaca Pot. [img]graemlins/bonghit.gif[/img]

[ 04-15-2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: The Whackmiester ]