Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-31-2004, 08:49 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

My computer was working fine until today. My OS is Windows 98SE, P3 1.2 Ghz., etc. I removed Adaware yesterday because I learned that they send information out to selected vendors (I have read this from several sources) Now here is my problem: I canniot access anything from My Documents folders, or any other folder that I created to store my own items. I go to click open a certain Word Document and it freezes my whole computer. Then I have to reboot. I already scanned, defragged, and scanned for viruses. No viruses. I did not remove the folder for Adaware, I just went through the Add/Remove program under control panels.

If any of you guys have suggestions I am in real need of help here. I have very important stuff I need to get to but cannot access. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I'm not aware of that being an issue with Ad-Aware, and I've used it for a while. If you're really concerned about it, put in a firewall like ZoneAlarm. It comes with a free trial for ZoneAlarm Pro, which will tell you everything that's trying to be sent out of there.

Unfortunately, I don't have a good choice for you in this regard. I would suggest that you try to use your startup disk (you do have one, right? [img]smile.gif[/img] ) and if that fails, try to do a repair install of Windows. That should put everything back to rights.

If that fails, then I would look at getting a second hard drive, installing windows onto it, and then booting from that one. That should let you access the current hard drive, and you can retrieve your data.

You may also want to try to boot in safe mode, and see if you can access things there.

Good luck.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

B, what is a repair install for Windows? Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:02 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Take your Windows CD and tried to install it again. When you do that, Windows will ask you if you want to repair the existing installation. Say yes, and it will be very similar to an original install.

It won't be the exact same, since you've got other .DLL files and such in there, but it should be a workable install.
-+-+-+
Old 04-01-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Teri-sha Illistyn
Zhentarim Guard

Try booting into safemode. In safemode you have minimal systems running. You should be able to open your word document and your other folders in safe mode, if not I think your 98se may need to be reinstalled.

When did you install the os last? If your registry is clogged up, a fresh install ( though a pain in the ass ) may be best.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:01 AM   #6
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
I removed Adaware yesterday because I learned that they send information out to selected vendors (I have read this from several sources)
Interesting. Could you link to said sources please? If *adaware* of all things is a spyware, I'm worried.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Well guys for some unknown reason my ability to access my folders became available when I attempted to open My Documents via the Start Key Access. Once I opened just one word folder the rest followed. Weird.

Andrewas, I know Microsoft warns of this (take it for what it is worth) as well as my internet provider Comcast. I can't think of the others off hand. I'll see what I can do.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:49 PM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Like Andrewas, I'd be interested in any links that support this idea. I also happen to use Comcast, and the only thing I found on the Comcast site (from doing a search) was a link to download AdAware... it's one of their top ten downloads.

Regarding your folder, remember that My Documents is a cross-linked kluge that may point to somewhere other than where you think it does. I prefer to store my documents in their own place, not in the MS My Documents area. A control freak? Me? Naaaahhhhh...
-+-+-+
Old 04-01-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-gb;835613

Quote:
I spy

Programs that send information about you and your online habits are known as spyware, and they are usually concealed within a useful application. It’s surprising how easily you can pick up spyware; tell-tale signs include your computer trying to dial up to the Internet at unexpected times or your firewall reporting attempted Internet connections of which you were previously unaware. Avoid installing free programs unnecessarily to reduce your chances of picking up spyware, but do install the excellent free AdAware. This scans your computer for spyware and helps you to remove the offending files.
Comcast site gives no hits for me. A google search on this subject will be swamped by positives.

Is it possible you misread something about 'adware' and saw 'adaware instead?