Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default internet connection

Hi. I just moved to a new place and am having a small problem connecting to the internet.

basically whenever I open a webpage for the first time, it takes very long to load. After it is loaded the connection in this page speed is very fast.

For example if I go to http://www.ironworksforum.com/ it takes long time to load, but after it does, I can navigate forums very easily and speed is great. Similarly google. First time I open it it takes long time. After it loads I can search and evrything pretty fast.

If I close browser and reopen it again takes webpage long to load.

Similarly when I download something. I takes some time to open the page, but once it does the download speed is great. For testing I downloaded the nwn patch file. 70MB in just under 10 mins is super fast compared to what I had in my old place.

Tried different browsers (IE7, firefox, opera), same thing.

I'm connected wirelessly through belkin wireless usb adapter.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: internet connection

Sounds like your browser is not using its cache when you start up. That can be caused by two things, IIRC.

First, it (or something else) could be set to clear the cache on exit or power down.

Second, there is probably a setting that tells it when to refresh pages, and that's probably set to refresh once a day, or the first time you access it, or something like that.

Look for something like that (really explicit, I know) and see what happens.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #3
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I don't think it's a cache issue.

a)The time it takes to load a page is too long. I mean when you visit a webpage you've never visited before it shouldn't take you ages to load on such a fast connection.
also it just doesn't make sense. i go to www.somewebpage.com/index1 and it takes 40-50 secs to load. then i go to www.somewebpage.com/index2 and it loads immediately. I mean neither of those was in the cache before...

b)I haven't changed any settings and it was just fine yesterday. I did change my internet connection though.

c)It happens on all 3 browsers. I can't believe all of them started not handling cache properly all of a sudden.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #4
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion

Could it be something to do with your router/connection doing an overly detailed authentication check? This might explain why subpages don't suffer the long load times.

Not that I have any clue why that would happen, or how to fix it...
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
andrewas
Harper

It could be a DNS issue, if the DNS server is taking a long time to respond then you will see a delay whenever you try and resolve a URL, but afterwards speeds will return to normal.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:57 PM   #6
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewas View Post
It could be a DNS issue, if the DNS server is taking a long time to respond then you will see a delay whenever you try and resolve a URL, but afterwards speeds will return to normal.
any idea on a possible solution?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Some random things to try.

Check your dns settings. Also check out your ISP firewall/port settings while you're there. Some ports may have been closed or firewalled somehow. It sounds suspiciously like firewalling but i'm not sure...you know, connectivity but slow connectivity. Did you move far? Is this cable or dsl btw? Check your connection for packet loss etc. Tried pinging these sites?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:32 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Some random things to try.

Check your dns settings. Also check out your ISP firewall/port settings while you're there. Some ports may have been closed or firewalled somehow. It sounds suspiciously like firewalling but i'm not sure...you know, connectivity but slow connectivity. Did you move far? Is this cable or dsl btw? Check your connection for packet loss etc. Tried pinging these sites?
how do I check my dns settings?

When I ping a site it goes some 20-30 seconds without responding at all (nothing happens). After that it goes normally and I get a time of 30-70ms dependin g on site