Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 08-30-2007, 08:59 PM   #41
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Default Re: Bioshock!

I must say, spending 70 odd dollars for Bioshock is a hell of a lot better than those poor sods that bought Two Worlds for 60$.

Here's some advice: Don't.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #42
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

BS! Two Worlds is a rpg, Bioshock is a shooter. These two are totally two different genre.

Besides, I enjoyed Two Worlds.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #43
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
I don't mind it not being that many different kind of enemies. After all these are just the people that lived there, and it's natural they would follow fads and adopt styles.

But I do agree the respawns are kind of annoying. I guess they wanted to make sure we'd always have something to kill, but it's not realistic, and it make farming for money possible which ruin the survival aspect.
I'd like to see a mod that:
-gets rid of the respawning monsters... other than those coming from valid spots (new rooms, traps, resupply through bathesphere or something along those lines)
-gets rid of the immortality chambers.
-adds a time based recharge for your plasmid power.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #44
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

The first splicers creeped me out, but eventually they became commonplace, which is a problem. They were no longer nightmarish objects of horror but people with skin problems that seemed to enjoy charging at someone carrying a boatload of weaponry. Not very creepy anymore. Most of my favorite moments were scripted moments rather than random battles. Fighting splicers became a chore rather than a challenge.

Ok, maybe I'm harping on this too much, I'm just really disappointed. I guess its too much to ask for the game to throw something at me like the nurse-things in sys shock 2 - they ALWAYS freaked me out.

SPOILERS

Spoiler for :

On another note, has anyone beat the game? If so let me know how close I got - I made it to the farmer's market bee area when I decided to quit. If I'm close I may force myself to finish... SPOILER WARNING AGAIN! - In addition to finding the combat tedious I really didn't like the turn in the story at the submarine. If I have to watch other "be horrified as an ally gets attacked through a window and you can do nothing!" bit (which happens multiple times in bioshock...ugh), I'll stop playing games altogether (except for my old ones). Secondly, where the hell did Atlas go? The only directions possible were directly away or towards me - he must still be on the move to stay one step ahead - so he doesn't want to be found - which makes me distrust him. So why don't I have an option besides working for him? ARRGH! NEED RPG! STUPID FPS!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:02 AM   #45
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakero View Post
BS! Two Worlds is a rpg, Bioshock is a shooter. These two are totally two different genre.

Besides, I enjoyed Two Worlds.
Wasn't it full of bugs then?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:39 AM   #46
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny View Post
Wasn't it full of bugs then?
So?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #47
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazilan View Post
SPOILERS
Spoiler for :

On another note, has anyone beat the game? If so let me know how close I got - I made it to the farmer's market bee area when I decided to quit. If I'm close I may force myself to finish... SPOILER WARNING AGAIN! - In addition to finding the combat tedious I really didn't like the turn in the story at the submarine. If I have to watch other "be horrified as an ally gets attacked through a window and you can do nothing!" bit (which happens multiple times in bioshock...ugh), I'll stop playing games altogether (except for my old ones). Secondly, where the hell did Atlas go? The only directions possible were directly away or towards me - he must still be on the move to stay one step ahead - so he doesn't want to be found - which makes me distrust him. So why don't I have an option besides working for him? ARRGH! NEED RPG! STUPID FPS!
Roughly half way, but you're getting close to the major plot twist.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #48
Thoran
Galvatron

I think that this game (and a fair number of shooters in general) is starting to blur the line between gaming and cinema type storytelling. Personally I think game designers should choose the path they'd like to take and focus on that. If the game is really a movie where you're playing a major character... the focus should be on getting the plot and character development to be good enough that at the end you think "WOW, they should make this into a movie!". If the game is going to be a shooter they should keep the plot simple but very open and emphasize the combat, strategy and tactics.

I think Half Life 2 did a wonderful job of telling a very compelling story while having gameplay that was challenging enough to keep you interested.

This game has a LOT of storytelling elements... but at this point I don't think the story is particularly coherent, and I get the feeling that they've introduced a LOT of plot elements that they're just not going to do much with (making the story seem a bit disjointed).

As a shooter the game APPEARS very complex, with standard weapons and magic (plasmid) elements, but in their balancing work they've ended up turning it into a basic resource management game. Conserve ammo, conserve energy, conserve conserve conserve because while there's not a ton of enemies (even on hard) it takes a LOT of ammo to kill them. I find I'm having less fun as the game drags on because of the repetitive nature of the combat.

IMO with their strong graphics they should have DE-emphasized combat and cleaned up/streamlined and emphasized the story aspects.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:43 AM   #49
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Apparently, the over-zealous measures employed by distributors to penalize people who buy their game are NOT having an impact on the number of people who are buying it. Tried to purchase it today and was told that the (aussie) distributor had sold out with no word yet of another run. Forced online activation with only 5 lives doesn't seem to putting anyone off. Of course, it's not going to stop piracy either. So where does this end? What measures can we expect next?..
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote