Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 11:37 AM   #1
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

I've played this game through a couple of times. Once with a Half-elven Archer and once with a Sorcerer both in parties of various sizes. By half way through in most battles I was sending Minsc tanking in while the rest of my group played tiddly-winks, occasionally throwing the odd spell or arrow in that direction. Infact he pretty much did the final battle on his own.

Now I want to try something a bit different, and was thinking hmmm ... monk. I was thinking about attemptin a solo game. So I guess what I'm asking is if it is particuarly difficult to solo a monk. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get out of the first dungeon on my own, because monks are quite weak at low levels, and Mephits have an AC of 0 (and they really annoy me). Or would I enjoy it more (ie not having to reload every 5 secs) in a small party - minus Minsc this time.

Any opinions welcome.

Old 04-10-2001, 12:00 PM   #2
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

monks are hard at low levels but awsome at high levels.
you might want to take along one friend during the first dungeon then dump him when you get topside

------------------

*Lord of the Screen Shot*
Old 04-10-2001, 12:07 PM   #3
Bristowe
Elminster

Yah, go monking definately...
Old 04-10-2001, 12:19 PM   #4
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:
monks are hard at low levels but awsome at high levels.
you might want to take along one friend during the first dungeon then dump him when you get topside

I might try it on my own, just to see how it goes - if I get slaughtered I'll take Minsc or Jaheira or Imoen or... Dammit more decisions.

[This message has been edited by Staralfur (edited 04-10-2001).]
Old 04-10-2001, 03:26 PM   #5
Epona
Zartan

Also monk has stealth ability, which should allow you to creep past any horrid mephits early on in the game...

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas and The Ladies Guild.
Old 04-10-2001, 03:42 PM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

I don't think a monk will be any trouble going throught the dungeon alone. Try the Jester for a challenge. It took me quite some time to get him out of the dungeon, and I had to be really patient.

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 04-10-2001, 03:43 PM   #7
Vernon_Boyd
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Use Jahiera till you get out. She has more healing spells that could come in handy. Pretty cosy just the two of you.
Old 04-10-2001, 05:09 PM   #8
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Also monk has stealth ability, which should allow you to creep past any horrid mephits early on in the game...

I should have tried this earlier. I forgot that monks have stealth so I tried to power my way through the dungeon. I don't think I did too bad, death toll; 1xOgre Mage, 2xLesser Clay Golems, 1xfunny thing with force field around it, 1xOtyluga (?) a few Mephits, many goblins, and the party of Duergars. (Mostly because they were all stunned). Then I got to the pesky Mephit portal room - and couldn't help but die. Then I remembered stealth, tried to use it. But the doors are locked - Dammit. I might save a bit of time a get Minsc to give me a hand. Is that bad if I'm try to solo?
Old 04-10-2001, 05:43 PM   #9
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Quote:
Originally posted by Staralfur:
I should have tried this earlier. I forgot that monks have stealth so I tried to power my way through the dungeon. I don't think I did too bad, death toll; 1xOgre Mage, 2xLesser Clay Golems, 1xfunny thing with force field around it, 1xOtyluga (?) a few Mephits, many goblins, and the party of Duergars. (Mostly because they were all stunned). Then I got to the pesky Mephit portal room - and couldn't help but die. Then I remembered stealth, tried to use it. But the doors are locked - Dammit. I might save a bit of time a get Minsc to give me a hand. Is that bad if I'm try to solo?

For me that's bad, but that's just me.

------------------

Hmmmmmm...Yes, that must be it
Old 04-10-2001, 06:50 PM   #10
Lord Shield

The only thing is that, on your own, the only way to disarm traps would be to set them off. You will not get XP for disarming traps/picking locks/learning spells. Some areas have locked doors for picking. Maybe you might want to think of one more character - a healer or thief perhaps