Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-06-2001, 07:53 PM   #1
Smaug0156
Welcomed New User

ok, i figured since i am not that good with computers that i'd ask some of the computer wizes out there. i was goin to install soa, but my comp froze during installation (typical of my crappy machine). and earlier when i went to try again, i found i havent enough free space to install. and since i lost 800mbs without reason, i thought it might have saved the installed material somewhere on my harddrive. but i can find it! does anyone know what happens to half installed stuff?
Smaug0156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 08:32 PM   #2
Lothar

you can manually erase your BG2 folder with windows explorer. Then re install SOA from the run menu in your start popup.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:33 PM   #3
Lothar

Oh and welcome to the Forums!!!!!
Old 12-06-2001, 08:36 PM   #4
Smaug0156
Welcomed New User

thnx for the welcome, but i am afraid that i have already deleted the soa folder, and i have used the explorer to attempt to install it. however there is still severe memory lossage after it froze trying to install
Old 12-06-2001, 08:38 PM   #5
Lothar

Hmm interesting. Try running disk defragmenter. I heard this may help.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:08 PM   #6
Lord Ludtke
Zhentarim Guard

You can try searching for files based on when there were modified. The stuff that is the newest is where the half installed game is. Were you running any kind of install watcher like norten? Then it is all laid out.

Perhaps you browsed to a new location, or didn't when you wanted to and it is lurking in the default loaction, or where ever you changed it to. The bottom line is, if you said go to C:\whatever\etc and you deleted those folders, it is gone, and should no longer be taking up space. If you created those files, but didn't browse to them the game auto installs to program files\bioware\bg2

How do you know you lost 800 mgs?
Old 12-06-2001, 09:20 PM   #7
Smaug0156
Welcomed New User

cause when i tried to install it the first time, i had enough (1.5 gb)
now i only got 800, and all i did was turn my comp off then on
i have enough now for a minimal install, but i'd rather not do that
Old 12-07-2001, 12:49 AM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Trust me- Minimum INstall is FINE. And 1.5 gig free goes down to 800 meg?? Go to start-programs-accesories-system tools- scan disk. also run Your anti virus Software, and consider compressing a drive or 2... as for not enough free space- You should NOT have just deleted The SOA directory- UNINSTALL FIRST. U might want to do a system restore if nothing else works... go to start-programs-accesories-system tools- system restore, and select a date earlier than when you tried to install SOA, it will bring the windows registry back to what it was on this date, this only affects prgram files BTW
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 12:52 AM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

AMD WELCOME TO IRONWORKS!!!

[img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 03:05 AM   #10
huma
The Magister

Smaug,try doing a file search.type in something like baldur and choose for it to search all of your hard drive.I did a bad install on mine once and although baldurs gate info could not be found anywhere on my system by maually looking,when I did a file search I found baldur files.It was a problem with my registry.I should also mention that whenever I let norton utilities repair my registry,it erases the path to my SOA game.It,s still there but whenever I tried to play it would ask me to install the game first.NO, it wasn,t frustrating at all.