Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast

Old 02-03-2002, 08:22 AM   #1
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Hi all!

I beat the BG2 and now I feel depressed. I'm thinking about to play BG1 but as I heard there's some differences between two games. Which game is much bigger in your opinion? Do you feel like you're lost in Bg1? And about the XP cap. It's only 89.000!? Even if you do all side quests etc you can easily achieve it right? I'm waiting for your comments thank you...
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Zoltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 08:37 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

I'd say go play it. Even if only to experience the beginning of the story. BG1 is a bit shorter than BG2, and also more linear.

A thing about BG1 that I enjoyed was the exploring. You could just venture out into the Sword Coast and see where you wound up, bumping into quests, monsters and funny NPCs along the way. They should have had more of that in BG2, IMO.

The XP cap may seem low, but of course it's all balanced. And if you install TotSC, it will be raised to 161,000. Heh, if you're used to the really powerful level 19 characters from SoA or the uber-level 40's from ToB, it's gonna be a real shock to see your level 1 fighter get killed off by a mere wolf. Fun though.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 08:49 AM   #3
Sojourner
Elite Waterdeep Guard

When you get BG1, get the expansion, Tales of the Sword Coast, too, and don't forget the necessary patches! The expansion has the awesome Durlag's Tower (think Watcher's Keep), and raises the XP cap to 161,000.

BG1, IMO, is bigger than BG2, and more open-ended, but you don't get lost. [img]smile.gif[/img] The PC's have a slower movement rate, and the journal is primitive in comparison, but I love the atmosphere and the way the storyline unfolds - the plot isn't given away like in BG2! In single-player mode, BG1 unpauses the game whenever you go into your inventory, so if you don't like this feature, you'll need to run a multi-player game. The upside to this is that you can change your armor in combat.

I've just gone back and played it again, and it is still an awesome game.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:05 AM   #4
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

Sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot. And about TOSC, it's an add-in or add-on?? I mean should I install it during the game or after beating the game?

And my last question is, is it possible to achieve the xp limit? or you can achieve it easily? for example bg2's xp limit is not an easily achieveable xp limit. You can achieve xp limit if you complete many many side quests.
I can feel the touch of wind on my face. Strong wind was slapping my face. I can feel the ground shake. The sky roars with vengeance and fury. From the shadows, I heard the Archmage's words:"İbne Fenner!" And then..I can't remember the rest..
Old 02-03-2002, 10:12 AM   #5
J'aran
Mephistopheles

TotSC is an add-in. But even if it was an add-on, I'd install it before playing BG1, as it fixes a few bugs and adds some items (Scimitars!) to other parts of the game as well.

Achieving the XP-cap is the same as in BG2, you'll have to do a lot of the side quests to reach it. Although it's a bit easier, as you will more often have random encounters with monsters in BG1, and so gain some more XP.
J'aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 11:59 AM   #6
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

So is there any exp remover for BG1? if there any, are they cause any bugs or have some limitations? you guys are complaining about it? (xp limit)
Old 02-03-2002, 06:51 PM   #7
Darkman

Well IMO you don't really need an XP cap remover if you have ToSC installed. Maybe if you have just BG1 and you like to kill every thing on every screen. But although there are a few XP remover programs available, I personally wouldn't run them until you actually reach the XP limit.
Old 02-03-2002, 07:14 PM   #8
Lemernis
Drizzt Do'Urden

If you solo with one character or play with a smaller sized party of 2 or 3 then you will butt up against the XP cap. But yeah, in the course of an ordinary game you generally won't need it.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:08 AM   #9
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

try to find xpcap.zip it is the best xp cap remover. I can e-mail it to you if you cant find it on the net.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Scholarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:28 AM   #10
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

what's the xp cap for TOSC?