Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 07-28-2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Ironbar
Manshoon

I would welcome any advice on the following issue.

I am new to the game and appear to have made so shocking mistakes that appear to be restricting my progress such as NPC dying left right and centre, i don't wan't to give up on my current quest but would it be wrong to start a new one?

Also, if i am to start a new game what type of character would be the easiest to work with?
Ironbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

There are only three quests I know off the top of my head that you can't put on hold until they're done--the quest you get from the Temple of Helm/Lathander, the one involving the Five Flagons, and the Windspear Hills. If you're on any of the others and having a hard time with it, you can safely take a time-out to do some other quest.

Knowing a bit more about your party, levels, gear, and quests done would be helpful, especially if you want to salvage your current party.
Old 07-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #3
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironbar:
I would welcome any advice on the following issue.

I am new to the game and appear to have made so shocking mistakes that appear to be restricting my progress such as NPC dying left right and centre, i don't wan't to give up on my current quest but would it be wrong to start a new one?
Which NPC's are dying? Which quest are you currently on? Pirengle already mentioned that only 3 quests require you to work all the way through without stopping once you start. All the others allow you to leave and come back when you have time or feel more prepared. I personally had to leave the Temple Ruins near Umar 3 different times in my current game before finally completing it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ironbar:
Also, if i am to start a new game what type of character would be the easiest to work with?
That just depends on what you are comfortable with. Generally speaking, fighters (or fighter types such as paladin, barbarian, ranger) are the easiest to use when learning the game. That's because their actions are pretty straightforward. They also have the best hit points in the game, so they don't die as quickly.

Clerics and Thieves are a little more difficult, but still have good hit points to absorb damage. Their class-specific skills are easy enough to learn and understand, and you should be able to survive long enough to figure out how to use them to your advantage.

Mages, Wizards, or Sorcerers are the hardest to play. They have low hit points and you have to know which spells to learn and (more importantly) which ones to memorize and cast. Hit points are very low and you will die quickly and often unless you know what you are doing. The benefit is that they eventually become the strongest class in the game.

Hope that helps some. Good Luck and Happy Slaying!!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin
The Magister

Do you mean "quest" as in a single quest (like taking acorns to the dryads in the Windspear Hills), or as in the entire game?

I made hundreds of mistakes on my first game (ahh, happy memories), but I didn't give up, even if I had killed half of the population of Athkatla and were being forced to kill every Cowled Wizard in Amn because of it. If it's a single quest you're worried about, go onto another one, there's hundreds of quests in BGII.

Unless you've done something incredibly horrific, like killing Aran Linvail, then killing Bodhi, effectively making sure that you don't pass Chapter 2, then carry on, it's worth it.

If you're going to start again: Elf, Chaotic Good, Fighter/Mage. I stand by my decision that this is the best character you can play as. (unless you have TOB, whereas the Wild Mage is better)
The Offspring of Viconia and Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 02:33 PM   #5
Ironbar
Manshoon

*********spoilers*********

So far i have completed the circus quest but didn't free earie(sp?),I still have the sword though.
I have freed Viconia but my party is unbalanced (2 evil (me and viconia) and 4 good).

The lady who was cursed upon entering a tavern is set to AI cleric2, the description implies that she will heal characters but she refuses but she has remembered the healing spells.

Also, upon leaving the area of town where you fisrt arrive after leaving the prison(start of game) everytime i try to return i am ambushed by a much stronger group. My party are equiped with weapons they are skilled in but their armour is fairly basic. Most party members have levelled up but only once.

I am still undecided upon starting a new game, however i think my chances would be better if i started again so that i could better plan issues such as party members. My previous experience of RPG's has involved either individual quests or ones with rigid parties.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:42 PM   #6
Ironbar
Manshoon

I do have the ToB expansion,

I am a little paranoid about the game as the RPG's i am used to are less complex than BgII, greed has forced me to try to aquire all the RPG's at once, which i can date back to the lonely days of diablo 2 (single character).

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:51 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Ironbar: DON'T give up. The game is difficult to get used to, and Irenicus's Dungeon is a genuine pain in the ass. (Hey, it's a dungeon, OK? He's not exactly interested in keeping his guests comfortable.) Here are some of the most important things to know about combat:

LOW numbers are GOOD! This is of extreme importantance, because the 3 things that determine your odds of survival (Armor Class, THAC0, and Saving Throws) all get better as they get lower. This is counterintuitive, I know. It's not my fault, I didn't design D&D 2nd Edition Rules, but I'll apologize for it anyway.

Get a Tank. A Tank is some burly, heavily-armored fellow you can use to stick in your opponent's collective face while the rest of your party maintains a safe distance. Minsc and Jaheira both make decent Tanks, although there are some better ones out there. Sending a Mage up into the thick of combat, however, is usually not a teriffically bright thing to do.

If anybody dies, Reload.

Don't cast Wizard spells (those used by Mages, Sorcerers, and Bards) outdoors in Athkatla--it's illegal. Cast your pre-battle spells while you're still inside, and take the fight into the nearest building if you have to.

Take the link in my sig for more info.....a LOT more info.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:48 PM   #8
Ironbar
Manshoon

Wow, the site looks impressive i'll find time to read it before playing again.

Also, i now realise why my party kept getting killed, they were in the worst possible armour (Oh well)

Thanks to everyone for the help