Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2001, 04:14 AM   #1
David Coath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have been playing Heart of Winter

I have just hit the dragon on the Island the Barbarians dropped me off at. He is tough. I cannot seem to score hits on him and get chopped up by his gang of troglodytes.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

Is this the end. That would be a shame as I am enjoying the game.

Yours

David
David Coath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:20 AM   #2
marco
The Magister

if you can cast minion spells and spells that hold along with plus affecting spells that would help. Setup the plus to abilities spells just as you get in. As for hitting the dragon, make sure you have the highest plus-to-hit weapon in hand for all char. Keep the mage(s) back and use them for you ranged magic attacks. In my group i have 2 clerics and 2 mages, i kept on cleric back and both mages.

hope this helps

------------------
there are 10 thunders, the 7th thunder is of man!
marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2001, 09:35 PM   #3
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Arrows worked well. Have your warriors use their highest + weapons. Have your clerics cast their most beneficial spells on your party. The mage spells courage and hope are very extremely good. If you've got potions of speed and giant strength by all means use them! I always beefed up my characters and saved BEFORE entering the Dragon area. Use range spells: Fireball, Cloud Kill, etc. Also the good old standbys such as Magic Missle and Melf'd Acid Arrow are real handy. Cast a few Monster Summonings to distract the dragon's minions. I also had part of my group concentrate on the dragon while the others concentrated on her accompanying party.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 03:48 AM   #4
Gyruss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Also buff yourself up as much as possible before going in. The summon spells as said before help allot especially against the troglodytes.
Gyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 07:20 AM   #5
David Coath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for your advise

I had been saving just before going in and had Rightous Wrath and haste on.

I will try getting some fighters onto the supports and doing some summoning to keep the Dragon busy and let you know how I go

Thanks again

Yours

David
Old 09-12-2001, 03:33 PM   #6
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

One more bit of advice would be to try to find stuff that gives protection from cold. Use spells, potions, items that give you this protection. It will nullify the dragons ice breath if you have 100% cold resistance.

JR

Damned i lost cousin Jan's techno gloves
JR Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 03:12 AM   #7
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

try and cast something like cloudkill or firestorm when you get inside. this should help at least a little with the troglodytes. also, cast as many monsters as possible, and haste them. should work, but only as fodder. have as high + weapons as possible. and try to use a few missle weapons. or you can just cast lower resistances, then try to cast something like horror, or spook, or fear, or something along those lines. hope this helps.

------------------
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine
Morgan_Corbesant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 05:42 AM   #8
David Coath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all the advice

I have won through.

Initially I got through with just a couple of party memebers alive but in the end I could get the whole team through

As advised the best way is to concentrate on the dragons support troops with area weapons and then cold steel , while engaging the dragon with summoned creatures to keep him busy.

A tough fight

Thanks for all the help

Yours

David
Old 09-15-2001, 08:16 AM   #9
Fellhammer
Dungeon Master

you can also try stacking up Greater Malison up, dunno if it's possible, then do Polymorph other, he changes into a Squirrel, then kill him!

------------------
Drizzt could sense the power of Twinkle as he took it from the wizard, felt the care of its crafting and the perfection of its balance.
- The Halfling's Gem (Icewind Dale trilogy)
Fellhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2001, 08:17 AM   #10
Fellhammer
Dungeon Master

you can also try stacking up Greater Malison up, dunno if it's possible, then do Polymorph other, he changes into a Squirrel, then kill him!

------------------
Drizzt could sense the power of Twinkle as he took it from the wizard, felt the care of its crafting and the perfection of its balance.
- The Halfling's Gem (Icewind Dale trilogy)
Fellhammer is offline   Reply With Quote