Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #11
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Default Re: Robert Jordan has passed away

Went to a Barnes and Noble today. They had Robert Jordan's books gathered together on tables at the end-caps of the aisles today. I'm guessing it's some sort of tribute for his memory, which was really thoughtful of them to do.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 AM   #12
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tragedy. He's the second author after David Gemmell that's passed away in the recent past.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:26 AM   #13
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

So after eagerly waiting for the next book, and the next, and the next it is so sad to learn that Robert Jordan passed away before he had the chance to finish up his big work.
Sad of course for all the readers and fans like myself that even though the quality of the last books were stumbling waited for it to end and make a purpose to all the years waiting for the next tidbit about the wonderful story that Wheel of Time is.
Sadder of course for the family and immediate friends to Robert Jordan, my thoughts are with you.

However, bookwise, I do feel cheated. I think it was 15 years ago since a friend introduced me to the books and ever sine that day I have been eagerly waiting for the next book in the series. I do hope that there will be an effort to finish up the series in style. How or who to do it, I have no idea of, it would however be good to bring the series to a closure at least.
I also hope that it won't be turned into a publicity stunt with a half-assed author writing like an orangutang :S Too many other great series have been finished up in less then ok style since the original author passed away.

A last thank you Robert, for all the wodnerful images you set in motion in my mind and how they so delightfully distracted me from many gloom days in my life.
You will be missed.

Don´t eat the yellow snow
WOLFGIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah Wolfie, Stephen King's Dark Tower/Gunslinger series, which started 20 years ago, ended badly, with no real ending (why it was bad!). And Stephen King's not even dead LOL. I did notice though that there is some new Dark Tower book coming out in November from Stephen King. Makes me wonder if he realized how he dissappointed he made us "constant readers" who have read the series for 20 YEARS, and really truly wanted a satisfying ending. He didnt' give it to us, and in his last book he even said he knew people would NOT be happy at his "Ending" that wasn't an ending at all, and to just shut up and not mail him letters, etc. It's like he knew, he knew he would dissapoint with that last book of the series, but could not make it better.

Stephen King has always said that his stories just come to him mentally. They are organic and have lives of their own, the author is just an instrument. What disappointed me with his Dark Tower/Gunslinger series was that I could tell, he wrote half the book pure, but then crapped out at the end. He had no end. He lost connection with that magic, but instead of just waiting for it to return, he just decided to write the end of the book clinically and like some paper form on a desk, with a pen on a string ready to go. After 20 years of story, omg, how dissappointing.

So I dunno what that new book is about. I'm actually afraid to even look. I truly don't want to fall into it all again to just end up being dissappointed.

In summary, no doubt there are highs and lows re reading long book series that seem to never end.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFGIR View Post
I do hope that there will be an effort to finish up the series in style. How or who to do it, I have no idea of, it would however be good to bring the series to a closure at least.
Maybe they should let George Martin finish it... although he'd probably kill off half the main characters in the process.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyzekke View Post
Yeah Wolfie, Stephen King's Dark Tower/Gunslinger series, which started 20 years ago, ended badly, with no real ending (why it was bad!). And Stephen King's not even dead LOL. I did notice though that there is some new Dark Tower book coming out in November from Stephen King. Makes me wonder if he realized how he dissappointed he made us "constant readers" who have read the series for 20 YEARS, and really truly wanted a satisfying ending. He didnt' give it to us, and in his last book he even said he knew people would NOT be happy at his "Ending" that wasn't an ending at all, and to just shut up and not mail him letters, etc. It's like he knew, he knew he would dissapoint with that last book of the series, but could not make it better.

Stephen King has always said that his stories just come to him mentally. They are organic and have lives of their own, the author is just an instrument. What disappointed me with his Dark Tower/Gunslinger series was that I could tell, he wrote half the book pure, but then crapped out at the end. He had no end. He lost connection with that magic, but instead of just waiting for it to return, he just decided to write the end of the book clinically and like some paper form on a desk, with a pen on a string ready to go. After 20 years of story, omg, how dissappointing.

So I dunno what that new book is about. I'm actually afraid to even look. I truly don't want to fall into it all again to just end up being dissappointed.

In summary, no doubt there are highs and lows re reading long book series that seem to never end.
In King's defense... the longer a series runs the harder it is to finish in a way that will satisfy the readers. Also... the BETTER a series is the harder it is to finish (and the gunslinger books I read were Kings best work IMO). Folks want it to finish but don't REALLY want it to be over... so they tend to get cranky when it's a really awesome series that's ending.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:42 AM   #17
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I am shocked at his passing. I just read the thread announcing his illness. His work will live on though, and him through it.

I have never read his Novels, but I picked up his first WoT Novel today! Is it a good one? (Eye of the World) Is this a book that'll I'll remember? The way people talk about the WoT and Jordan, its a yes!

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 09:17 AM   #18
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Yeah the first few books are good. Then it starts to drag a bit but then starts to pick up again towards the end.