Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 01:42 PM   #31
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Songs I remember that I cant think of the artist (term used loosely):

Just to prove that I love 80's music too much...

Jenny (8675309)
Tommy Tutone (I think, but not sure)
My baby takes the mornin train (redhead Irish chick)
Sheena Easton, the song was written by Prince
Its the Safety Dance
Men Without Hats

Last but certainly the worst:

A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS

EEEKKK they were BAAAAAADDDDD .... yucko!!!

BTW, Sir Kenyth, you can thank Miami Vice for all those pastels you wore. Don Johnson set the trend for the 2-day beard worn with white pants and jacket over a BRIGHT pastel T-shirt. That show also helped boost the careers of several musical artists in the 80's - by playing thier songs AND having them on the show.

Phil Collins, Sheena Easton, Vanity, Ted Nugent, Don Henley, and many more had "guest appearances" on the show. That, coupled with the birth of MTV help propel many "no name bands" to national and international success.

Quick MTV trivia question: What was the very first video played on MTV?

[ 07-01-2002, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: Cerek the Barbaric ]
Old 07-01-2002, 02:03 PM   #32
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Songs I remember that I cant think of the artist (term used loosely):

Just to prove that I love 80's music too much...

Jenny (8675309)
Tommy Tutone (I think, but not sure)
My baby takes the mornin train (redhead Irish chick)
Sheena Easton, the song was written by Prince
Its the Safety Dance
Men Without Hats

Last but certainly the worst:

A FLOCK OF SEAGULLS

EEEKKK they were BAAAAAADDDDD .... yucko!!!

BTW, Sir Kenyth, you can thank Miami Vice for all those pastels you wore. Don Johnson set the trend for the 2-day beard worn with white pants and jacket over a BRIGHT pastel T-shirt. That show also helped boost the careers of several musical artists in the 80's - by playing thier songs AND having them on the show.

Phil Collins, Sheena Easton, Vanity, Ted Nugent, Don Henley, and many more had "guest appearances" on the show. That, coupled with the birth of MTV help propel many "no name bands" to national and international success.

Quick MTV trivia question: What was the very first video played on MTV?
[/QUOTE]No Bro! I'm talkin' 70's pastels AND styles. They make the stuff you're talking about look quite tasteful! Have you ever watched "That 70's Show"? The clothes in that show are toned down a bit from what it really was. I saw a picture of me and my brother (5 yrs & 3yrs) in some suits we just got. BIG dumbo collars, FAT bow ties, Ruffles on the white shirts, UGLY bright pastel colors (think easter egg). Top it all off with Beatles style bowl haircuts. There ya' go! Yeccchhhh!!!

[img]graemlins/fro.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1puke.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 03:42 PM   #33
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

EEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!

My sympathies. Although the '70's had some good music (if you IGNORE Disco), the clothing styles WERE pretty atrocious.

As for myself, I think I had about 5 different pairs of white pants at the height of the Miami Vice craze.

Izod, Jordache, Ocean Pacific, Adidas, and (of course), Members Only - all nothing more than fond memories now.
Old 07-01-2002, 04:55 PM   #34
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
[b][b] Vanilla Ice *shudder*
Vanilla Ice was 90's, Azure...

Anyways, I think the decade in which you grew up musically is often the best in your opinion. Most of the music I listen to is from the nineties or more recent, while my interest in the 80's as such doesn't go any further than The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth and a bit of Pet Shop Boys, probably forgetting a few. Though Daydream Nation, one of the best CD's in musical history (and Sonic Youth masterpiece) originates from the eighties as well, I'll have to give you that. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But please, don't bother me with most of the one-(s)hitwonders of that decade, there are more than enough horrible ones in the 90's to be ashamed of. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:31 PM   #35
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
[b]
quote:
Originally posted by AzureWolf:
[b] Vanilla Ice *shudder*
Vanilla Ice was 90's, Azure...

Anyways, I think the decade in which you grew up musically is often the best in your opinion. Most of the music I listen to is from the nineties or more recent, while my interest in the 80's as such doesn't go any further than The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, Depeche Mode, Sonic Youth and a bit of Pet Shop Boys, probably forgetting a few. Though Daydream Nation, one of the best CD's in musical history (and Sonic Youth masterpiece) originates from the eighties as well, I'll have to give you that. [img]smile.gif[/img]
But please, don't bother me with most of the one-(s)hitwonders of that decade, there are more than enough horrible ones in the 90's to be ashamed of. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]It's the old headbangers vs. punkers fight again! They finally merged and got together in the 90's and called themselves alternative, but no one will ever admit it!
Old 07-01-2002, 05:34 PM   #36
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Hey! Speaking of one-hit-wonders. Anyone remember "Right Said Fred" and "I'm Too Sexy"? [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:35 PM   #37
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
It's the old headbangers vs. punkers fight again! They finally merged and got together in the 90's and called themselves alternative, but no one will ever admit it!
And that had anything to do with my post you quoted because...?
Besides, I don't really care much for "alternative" anyways, more for lo-fi, indie and electronic, and all kinds of genre crossovers. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:38 PM   #38
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Hey! Speaking of one-hit-wonders. Anyone remember "Right Said Fred" and "I'm Too Sexy"? [img]graemlins/laughsaywhat.gif[/img]
According to my Hitfiles book, "Don't talk just kiss" and "Deeply Dippy" were bigger hits of them in our country, so I wouldn't call them a one-hit-wonder.

EDIT: Oh, and they're also from the 90's IIRC. [img]graemlins/uhoh1.gif[/img]

[ 07-01-2002, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Grojlach ]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:43 PM   #39
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh, why did you have to bring that up ? I bet i'll never sleep tonight !!!! [img]graemlins/hidesbehindsofa.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2002, 05:43 PM   #40
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
Weird Al Yankovic had LOTS of spoofs. Gotta give the guy credit....he really IS talented.

The first spoof I ever saw was "Eat It" in 1984 when the aforementioned Thriller album was boasting it's mega-smash "Beat It"

Some other classic Weird Al songs:

"Another One Rides the Bus" (Another One Bites the Dust)
"I Love Rocky Road" (I Love Rock N Roll)
"Like a Surgeon" (Like a Virgin)
"I Lost on Jeapordy" (Jeapordy by the Greg Kihn Band)
His best all time classic is "One More Minute"! An original song of love and rejection. Hilarious! Perfect for cheering you up when you've been dumped!

C'mon guys! I mean really! CULTURE CLUB?! WHAM!? Bleccchhhh!!! I hope old Georgie wasn't using that Karma Chameleon like a gerbil!

What about the classic long hair rockers!

Sammy Haggar! Van Halen! Dokken! Cinderella! Motley Crue! Poison! AC/DC! Faster Pussycat! KISS! Ozzy! Scorpions! Judas Priest! Firehouse! Bon Jovi! Queensryche! Ted Nugent! White Lion! Metallica! Iron Maiden! Badlands! Beastie Boys! Warrant! Alice Cooper! Whitesnake! Megadeath! Guns n' Roses! Etc, etc!

Woo-Hoo! [img]graemlins/music01.gif[/img]

ROCK ON!!! [img]graemlins/rocking2.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]I'm with you on this Sir Kenyth, Gimme METAL!!! The rest was pretty much fag music