Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

Default Type at home jobs

I am looking into earning some extra money and if its not a scam it seems like it would be a pretty good job.
I contacted a potential 'employer' from this website:
http://www.administrativejobs.com/co...available.html
who sent me to this site:
https://www.plimus.com/jsp/buynow.js...ractId=2707546
to buy training materials for 90$

Heres a copy of his email:

typeonlineathome@gmail.com
Hi,

An online Home Based Worker position requires that you have a reliable computer with constant Internet access and capabilities, a valid E-mail account, basic Internet knowledge, and minimal typing skills.

You must also be able to conduct yourself in a professional manner. This includes having excellent grammar and spelling when communicating with clients via E-mail.

In addition to the above requirements, you MUST be able to follow instructions closely and completely! You will do all contact via E-mail, so you will not be required to call anyone at anytime. This allows you to work whichever hours are most convenient for you (days, night, or weekends). You will be processing applications, as well as filling out forms in specific company databases (this tends to be tedious at times, so please be sure that you have the patience to do so before proceeding).

This is why you will need to have basic Internet knowledge, though the training provided will give you step-by-step instructions on how to perform these tasks properly.

There are no "down-times" with this position, so you will have a constant flow of work to complete. THIS IS NOT A GET RICH QUICK SCHEME, so if that is what you are looking for please do not pursue this opportunity. You will be paid $50 for each application completed.

The amount of money you make each week is entirely up to you, and how much time and effort you are willing to put in with this position. The average person makes $2500-$12000 each week.

When you have been accepted as a Home Based employee, you are considered an Independent Contractor.

This means that your taxes will not be taken out; therefore, you will not be provided with any tax forms. THIS IS ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. The training provided will go more in depth about what to do with your taxes.

You will receive your pay through PayPal or whichever online payment portal you choose. When an application is completed, $50 will be credited to your PayPal account, which can be withdrawn into your bank account at your leisure.

You can read about the security policies at www.paypal.com.

There is a one-time 60-days money back guarantee.fee for the training package in case you do not like the job. This also includes all the administration processing fees and training costs. We offer professional online support for as long as you may need us.

This is a one-time fee, and there will be no other charges to you. However, the fee must be received before you can gain access to the "Training Materials.

We must accept this fee to cover training costs, processing fees, as well as to ensure that only serious applicants apply. This is a non-refundable fee, so be sure that you understand what you are doing before sending in your payment for the training Guides.

This fee will not be waived for anyone, and cannot be deducted from your first pay. This is because if you do not process applications, you will not have a first pay, and we will have already taken the time to set you up, and train you. Once your payment is received, you will be given immediate access to your training Guides.

You will need a word processing program in order to perform this position successfully (MS Word, Works, Notepad, etc.) Once you have received the training materials, you can START working from home TODAY.

Most applicants typically complete the training within 24 hours or less. However, you can do this at your leisure.

Keep in mind that the sooner you go through the training materials, the sooner you will START earning money. I will be able to be contacted via E-mail at anytime after you have received your training materials to help you, or answer any questions you may have.

If you are serious about this position, meet all the requirements, and are responsible enough to work from home, then please contact me via E-mail and I will inform you of the cost of the training packet, and how to set up a PayPal account to send the fee (if you do not already have an account).

You seem like an excellent candidate for this position, and I hope that I hear from you again so I can get you STARTED right away!

Sincerely,

Mr. Robert Frank Lee

Human Resources

What do you guys think, it is a legit job or is it a scam?
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Default Re: Type at home jobs

Stay far away from this. No truly legitimate employer will require you pay up front a $90 "training fee". As soon as you pay that, you'll never see them again.

If you want to research it further, try and find a physical building (brick and mortar) this business is located in. Get an actual address. Then try and find out what is actually located there... via a third party source of course. Use a map program (Google maps) and actually zoom in to this address and see if its a vacant lot.

Also, any business that wants to deal with you thru PayPal only, should raise a red flag. PayPal has it's uses, but its main asset is anonymity.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

With Paypal though, you have buyer protection. Meaning you can contact them and tell them to pull the payment at your discrection. But I agree, money upfront = scam. Even before the internet, this was the same ole story. There used to be letters sent in your door asking you to pay money to this address and work later.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
Chewbacca
Zartan

Paypal will protect the funds, but not the personal info you probably have to send. I spent years looking at work from home options and found many of them are scams to one degree or another. Asking for money upfront is one of the biggest red flags. In this economy I am suprised any job opening of this sort would last one day if legit.

I'd atleast recommend googling the company name along with the words "work from home scam" and search extensively before sending anything.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

I have not investigated this one personally, but it reeks of scam. Run it through the BBB, as well as the names of any involved.

Also, open up the details of the e-mail, and prod around in the real e-mail this was sent from and if you can get it, from where. That should provide enough to make you scream or jump for employment.

Earlier this year I recall reading an article about something of this nature, excellent grammar, punctuation etc...They were looking for people to write their scams in American English.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

My scam radar is going mad. Here's why:
  • Math... $50-70 per application, with people making up to 12,000/week? That's 172 applications per 40-hour work week, aka just over 4 per hour or one every 14 minutes. I'm not sure what industries pay $240 per hour for entry-level people, but I think they involve getting screwed.
  • Main contact email is a Gmail address? For a company supposedly paying that kind of money? Yeah... sure.
  • I don't know of any reputable industries where you pay to get trained. Unless you consider college/university degrees to be like that... nah.
  • I'd ask who's funding this $50-70 per application fee. Whoever is doing that has to, by definition, be earning far more than $70... more like $150-200. No names? No body... no way.
  • This requires the ability to print neatly? For an internet-based position? Mmmm... who are you going to print for? No one... except your friends going "Told you so".
  • Huh?
    Quote:
    There is a one-time 60-days money back guarantee.fee
    Quote:
    This is a non-refundable fee,
    Which is it? Can't have it both ways at the same time, can you?
  • Quote:
    The average person makes $2500-$12000 each week.
    By definition, "average" means half make more, half make less. See line above about ridiculous hourly wage for entry level person
  • I missed it somewhere, but these things usually come with a line like "payment for completed and accepted applications". Amazing how many reasons they'll come up with to reject your work... including "wasn't done fast enough".
  • Googling that email address provides two kinds of results... help wanted ads, and pages that identify it as being a scammer. Which do you believe....
  • That Paypal protection thing works both ways... so they can send you some money to get you hooked, then call it back.
That'd be enough for me to stay far away, and only send money I never wanted to see again.

Wait... I want to see *ALL* my money again. Guess I'll keep it.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:38 AM   #7
Chewbacca
Zartan

5 out of 5 Ironworkers agree it's shady. Bungleau nailed the details.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 10-07-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: there is an a in bungleau for sum reason?
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Gabrielles blades
Baaz Draconian

know of any thats not a scam? theres gotta be some job i can do at home; i mean this is the computer age for goodness sake.
Gabrielles blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Chewbacca
Zartan

Have you checked out Amazon's Mechanical Turk?

Also, I did some surveys for Opinion Outpost for a small amount of money. Problem with surveys if you are not in a top demographic you can spend alot of time doing qualifying surveys that don't pay and then get rejected for part of the survey that does.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielles blades View Post
know of any thats not a scam? theres gotta be some job i can do at home; i mean this is the computer age for goodness sake.
There is. However, these two high ranking and 'real' jobs require various levels of training and equipment.

1. Medical coder.

2. CPA.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote