Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 08:47 AM   #1
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

So what are the best things about using Haerdalis.
Oh and as a tank who do ya reckon is better, him or Anomen.
Old 01-17-2002, 08:56 AM   #2
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

haer´dalis is a reasonable backup mage, because of his higher casting level some spells are more effective than those of his mage counterparts (most notably skull trap).
however, the area he truly shines in is magically enhanced combat - give him the pixie prick and kundane, cast several buffing spells (especially stoneskin) and hack away.

he is a little vulnerable to tank all day without magical protection and vastly inferior to anomen in this respect, and without a strength modifier he has serious issues with his thaco. however, with 3 hits per round he is nevertheless decent at dealing out damage and if you can get your opponents to pummel on someone else while he cuts them to bits he can be a worthy addition to your melee fighters.
Old 01-17-2002, 09:01 AM   #3
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

Whats Kundane?

What weapons dose he use?
Old 01-17-2002, 09:55 AM   #4
F. Gottwald
Manshoon

kundane is a short sword of quickness that grants an additional attack, essentially a poor mans belm, and iirc you get it in the planar prison.
perhaps you´ve thrown it away accidentally because the description doesn´t state that you get another attack and it looks less than impressive otherwise...
Old 01-17-2002, 10:40 AM   #5
BALROGBANE
Zhentarim Guard

So is belm better than kundane as I have them both?

The best harp?
Old 01-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
Nifft the Nimble

Hi BALROGBANE,

Haer'Dalis is a fun party member, but he needs serious micro-management. He's actually great as a ranged fighter, even with Offensive Spin. His high level and skill with 2-weapon fighting make him an ideal Melf's Minute Meteor hurler, but he'd be good with darts, bows or crossbows, whichever your party lacks.

Anomen is a decent melee fighter, but needs to improve his Dex. before he's going to go far with missile weapons. I don't like his personality enough to get to know him in depth, so my advice on him isn't worth too much.

Harps: do you have the Bonus Merchants patch? If so, the best harp is the Harp of Pandemonium. If not, it's probably the harp you get when you find him (in Mekrath's lair, on the altar with the planar gem) which causes confusion.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 01:35 PM   #7
Jim
Quintesson

quote:

Both have speed factor 0, but belm hits for 1D8+2 instead of kundane's 1D6+2 so Belm rules supreme.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2002, 04:30 PM   #8
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Bonus merchant patch? What's that? [img]smile.gif[/img] How do I know if I already have it, and where do I get it if I don't? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2002, 01:44 AM   #9
Erydian
Manshoon

The Bonus Merchants refers to special merchants that were added in the Collector's Version of the game, and perhaps the pre-ordered versions as well (not sure on that one).

There are two of them, one named Deidre, who will be in the Adventurer's Mart and another by the name of Joluv, who can be found in the Copper Coronet. If you've never seen either of these merchants before, you probably don't have the patch installed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The Bonus Merchant patch can be found at Sorcerer's Place. Just follow the instructions given to install. Note that if you have TOB installed, the latest TOB patch adds one of these merchants (but not both).

As far as Haer'Dalis goes, as F. Gottwald says, he can be extremely effective, considering the various mage spells that are available to him. I'd advise studying your spellbook and selecting some of the more combat-orientated spells for him to use such as Protection from Magical/Normal Weapons, Stoneskin(as mentioned) etc.

Haer'Dalis can specialize in short swords and long swords, but can only become proficient with other types of weapons. Outfit him with some strength modifying items (there are certainly plenty to choose from), use offensive spin, and enjoy the show. And, if you use Defensive Spin (in addition to the protection spells listed above), he can act as a decent tank as well.

He also has a decent lore rating - as well as a surprisingly high pickpockets ability (considering the fact that as a Blade, he *should* have only half of the regular bard ability).

Whether or not you choose to use him in your party is entirely up to you. [img]smile.gif[/img] But Haer'Dalis can be (and is one of my favorite characters, from a role-playing point of view) a good addition to your party, particularly if you already have a designated "tank" and are looking for some extra damage.
Old 01-18-2002, 02:35 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by BALROGBANE:

The best harp?

Well Kundane is probably better... But Haer'Dalis isnt proficent in either ti start off with... depends what u put ur proficiencies in

The best harp is the harp of pandemonium or the 1 u get in the Ilithid City that dispels Hold IMO of course
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote