Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-19-2001, 11:40 PM   #11
frudi_x
Drow Warrior

I don't know, it always seemed to me, that the Undead Hunter is a kit for beginners. sure, immunity to level drain is nice, but I sure don't want to pick my class and kit simply to circumvent an effect, that can just as easily be prevented with Amulet of Power or Mace of Disruption +2 (which is a must when fighting any kind of undead anyway; practicaly all liches die to a single hit and it can take out Demi with a single hit too!) and by ToB there are several more weapons that provide immunity to level drain...
as for Beholders - if you want to take them on without either Shield of Balduran or Cloak of Mirroring, be my guest . I've done it before, so I no longer have anything to prove to myself, now I'd just rather use either the shield or the cloak.
hold person you say? well, there are other ways to protect yourself - Ring of Free Action, Shield of Harmony, priest spell Free Action, Potions of Freedom... and if all fails it can easily be dispelled, preferably by an Inquisitor with his instantly discharged, double strength Dispel Magic

ehm, and no, as far as I know, no class/kit is immune to the Flayers' Int drain, there is also no way to defend against it except for mage protective spells (I'm sure Prot. from Magical Weapons works, Stoneskin DOESN'T, but I'm not sure about (Improved) Mantle).

all in all, I'd have to say that I'm not all that thrilled about the Undead Hunter. but than again, I'm not all that crazy about Paladins in general (though I always get Keldorn if my style of playing in that particular game allows it). I just can't see myself as lawful good
Old 10-20-2001, 02:24 AM   #12
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Cavaliers are better than Undead Hunters in my opinion. You want level-drain immunity? Wear an Amulet of Power of wield Mace of Disruption +2, heck, you can also gulp a Potion of Invisibility and Turn Undead.

In the long run, Cavaliers will prove more versatile.
Old 10-20-2001, 02:33 AM   #13
mitsos

Synthos...
First of all where are you from?(country)
Secondly, I played with Cavalier and the lay on hands is invaluable. At the end I could heal 56 hp. I prefer bonuses against dragons and demons than undead because they're tougher and as far as the immunitites are concerned, you can reach a point in the game where you have such a high magic resistance that almost no spell(only the 8th and 9th spells affect you). Plus you have the bonus of the +2 saving throws (alright every paladin has it).

Old 10-20-2001, 10:46 AM   #14
Synthos
Manshoon

I'm from Canada...
Sure, next to Undead Hunter I might pick Cavalier but I also like being able to use missle weapons..
One reason I like immunity to level drain is that 4 out of my party are very good in melee combat and I would like to protect all of them against level drain. I do not have access to a greater restoration priest spell yet and I hate carry loads of scrolls around.. Maybe later in the game it will become less important however for killing liches and other undead, my pick has to be Undead Hunter...
It's your own personal preference for which you chose.. I just thought no one really paid any attention to undead hunters.. Though they deserve it.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:48 PM   #15
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:
Some good points.. However, I don't believe that Carsomyr's dispel magic makes up for an Inquisitor's dispel. An inquisitor dispels at 2x level, which is basically a guaranteed dispel. Along with true sight, those are some nice, instantly casting, powers.

Still, the Undead Hunter is tempting...
AGREED.

Dispell: The Inquisitor's Dispell is also cast at speed 1 - so he can rattle it off VERY fast. I used this CONSTANTLY throughout both SOA and TOB.
True sight: Dispells invisibility spells - so now assassin ever got to backstab anyone in my party and no mage could cast misled, invisibility, shadow door etc and benefit from it for more than a second. (and man, having 10 of these spells to hand in TOB was very important when fighting one of the dragons).

Also the inquisitor is immune to HOLD and Charm - very handy!

Undead Hunter is good in the beginning but his skills are less useful as your cleric improves both the number of restorations he can cast and as his turn undead increases. Combine that with his sunray spell and no vampire ever gets close enough to level drain you... So Undead Hunter is a kind of diminishing return.

Cavaliers get great bonuses against Dragons and Demons - but there arn't that many of those in the game - only two dragons to fight in SOA and two in TOB. Demons get easier and easier as you advance in whatever class you are - so again, that 'advantage' diminishes as you progress.

Stick with the Inquisitor - HE ROCKS!!!
Old 10-20-2001, 07:55 PM   #16
Skunk
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Synthos:
.. also Undead Hunter is better than Inquisitor because Dispel Magic is useless once you get carsomyr and and Immmunity to charm is useless once you have helm of charm protection (
Forgot to mention. Dispel magic is not useful for removing spells on your opponent - but for removing spells that your opponent casts on your own party.

i.e Opposing mage casts 'Hold' on Minsc - 1 second later my Inquisitor dispells it...Mage then casts 'Feeblemind' on 'Anomen' - 1 second later, Inquistor dispells it. Mages gets really pissed by this and casts misled - guess what, I dispell it another second later with 'True sight'.

Now do you understand the advantages of Inquisitor?

Old 10-20-2001, 09:07 PM   #17
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

I agree Synthos. Good on you.

------------------
Old 10-20-2001, 11:29 PM   #18
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You fail to mention that Cavaliers get a 20% bonus to their Fire and Acid Resistances. They are also immuned to Fear and Morale Failure, which allows me to free up spell slots on my other spell casters on Remove/Resist Fear. They are also immuned to Poison

This is not to say Inquisitors suck, on the contary, Inquisitors rock, but the Cavalier gain far more advantages.

Of course... we could always compromise and put all three in the party.

------------------
If not a Sorcerer casting total oblivion, then a Cavalier meting out justice. Otherwise, I think I will just be a Blade and torture my enemies with, "My Heart Will Go On".

Platinium Sorcerer of ALSB, Aerie Loving Sacred Band! She's MeowRrrr, and more!

-------------------------
Sorcerer Spell List
Dragon Slaying Tips

[This message has been edited by Dundee Slaytern (edited 10-20-2001).]
Old 10-20-2001, 11:31 PM   #19
Synthos
Manshoon

Yes most of what I say here is personal preference, but a few things
Undead Hunter is also immune to hold
Again, Charm is not always a bad thing if you move the rest of your party out of sight.. You regenerate hit points if you have a ring of regeneration or ring of gaxx.. Also a helm of charm protection is also availible (as you most likely know)
I don't use true sight alot (i probably should though) I mostly use invisibilty purge. And an inquisitors casting time of one is just the same if Aerie had a robe of Venca and Amulet of Power, the casting time wouldn't be much different.
I'm not saying inquisitor or cavalier isn't good.. I just think undead hunter is a nice kit that's sometimes overlooked
Old 10-20-2001, 11:38 PM   #20
Synthos
Manshoon

By the way,Skunk, you can cast dispel magic three times per day w/ carsomyr, which is the same as inquisitor's dispel magic ability, unfortunately there is casting time, which is why i have aerie with her super fast casting with the robe of venca..
And Dundee Slayterm.. Periat of Proof against poison does the same as a cavalier's immunity..
The resistances are a nice idea, but it would be better if they improved in the course of levels