Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 09-03-2001, 12:55 PM   #11
Vampire

Unless against boss baddies with super low saves.
Always use Celestrial Fury to buy you time. Stun THEM!
Old 09-03-2001, 12:58 PM   #12
rodimus
The Magister

Quote:
Originally posted by IrishHound:
Definately longswords if I had to choose between the two, but Don't overlook bastardswords either; there a good cross between the two handed and the long swords and do nice damage. True, in the beginning there aren't many choices but once in the spellhold and underdark, you will find a few nice ones and there worth the wait. That goes triple for TOB...

I think Bastard Swords aren't as good as Longswords, cause you can't backstab with them. I the CF a lot, but in ToB you sometimes need +4 weapons, and there are many good ones!!!
Old 09-03-2001, 02:12 PM   #13
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

CF is great but unfortunately its very hard to stun an opponent almost all though creatures have saves agains it.
Old 09-04-2001, 03:01 AM   #14
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

cf stuns enemies for me on a very regular basis. Its very effective, I would agree second in total strength behind the Crom Faeyr (which is much more costly and time consuming to find/build). Also no one has mentioned the blindness and lightning spells that come with the cf. The lightning strike can be useful in a pinch.

But, alas, tis true that in ToB it becomes pretty useless. In ToB, it seems like the + factor of a weapon is all that really matters...
Old 09-04-2001, 07:01 AM   #15
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

I heard about bastar swords are very nice in ToB? And they can be wielded with 1 hand yes?
Old 09-04-2001, 07:11 AM   #16
Sharpedge
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoltan:
I heard about bastar swords are very nice in ToB? And they can be wielded with 1 hand yes?
Yes there are one or two very good bastard swords in Throne of Bhaal, and yes they can be wielded in one hand. It's well worth spending a proficiency slot or two for them.

------------------
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure."
Old 09-04-2001, 08:13 AM   #17
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

I'm sure this has been asked before, but... The only weapons you can backstab with are: longsword, shortsword, staff, dagger, and katana? no two-handed sword backstabs? or bastard sword? Scimitar?

And what is up with the monks hide in shadows? can you 'back-punch'? I tried, so far didn't work.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:39 AM   #18
Zoltan
Symbol of Cyric

You cannot backstab with longsword or 2h sword. You can bs with dagger, short sword. I dont know 'bout katana.
Old 09-04-2001, 09:53 AM   #19
dimon37
Zhentarim Guard

yes, you can backstab with longsword (at least in BG2 you can). I think you can backstab with any weapon a pure thief can use (except for the Staff of Magi).
Old 09-04-2001, 01:10 PM   #20
deathknight
Drow Warrior

thieves can BS with longswords and katanas just fine.

CF is insane the ammount of stuns you get with it. I like to dual wield CF with some form of utility weapon. daystar for undead,blackrazor for just general fighting etc. Another good combo with cf is the pixie prick. You can really get an opponent standing around doing nothing with that combo.

If you don't think CF is strong then you might have a pretty strong party and not be realizing what it is doing. I don't see it as a weapon that dominates the super hard fights but what it does for me is it sees my party through countless battles making sure they take less damage than they normally would have. and getting a stun on a spellcaster or a monster with good specials can make a big diff...