Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2001, 05:44 PM   #11
Gil-Galad
The Magister

Could be a SPOILER about how to play BG1, but you might want to know....
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
The plot in BG1 is very much laid out for good or neutral aligned characters. Meaning that there are very few Evil options, except dialogue-wise, as opposed to, say, joining Bodhi instead of the Shadow Thieves in BG2. You can mostly only manifest your evil intentions by killing beggars, Flaming Fist Soldiers, Neeber etc.
Old 07-18-2001, 06:40 PM   #12
deathknight
Drow Warrior

There are alot of great things about playing BG 1 even after playing BG II. So much is different as far as strategy goes. Charm and summoned creatures are totaly killer. Without killer AC and a bad THAC0 you don't really wanna stand toe to toe with the bad guys for long. Charming an enemy to do it for you or summoning creatures to do it and using missile weapons was alot of fun
Plus I had great fun playing a fighter thief in BG 1. It was soo much easier to stay hidden in shadows before the BG 1 expansion.
Old 07-19-2001, 03:46 AM   #13
Altranan
Dungeon Master

BG1 and TotSC have both now been purchased and play will commence this weekend. An empty house, beer and 48hours of baldur's gate, does life get better?
Old 07-19-2001, 07:32 AM   #14
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

If you asj me, BG1 is a better game than its sequel. Perhaps its the fact that it was the first RPG I ever played but it really made an impression on me. Playing it again now, I still believe find it immensely enjoyable. Baldur's Gate is just more atmospheric. You feel like your in a real world, visiting the villages and Beregost, finding abandoned caves and old dungeons in the wilderness, going intop inns, and spending countless hours in the wilderness. You could just spend days in towns, going from inn to inn, hearing rumors, breaking into houses etc. And even though many will disagree with me, I loved the wilderness areas. Who doesn't remember the attack on the xvart village? Or the gnoll stronghold? Or that mage's apprentie who got turned into a chicken? Or that dead cat in the waterfall? Or Rufie the "dog" and his master? Or the bandit encounters? The destroyed caravans? Bassilus the necromancer? Or the days spend strolling into the beatiful wilderness areas under the heavy rain, so beautifully and atmospherically implemented. So what if the most powerfull enemy you face is an Ogre-Magi (actually it isn't), it only makes the game more realistic.
Play it and then come back and tell us what you think. I'm really interested to know what somebody who's played BG2 first thinks of the original.

BTW there's an unoficial expansion to Baldur's Gate 1 that you can download, although I'm not so sure where to get it.
Old 07-19-2001, 07:36 AM   #15
FallenPaladin
Dungeon Master

"my only problem after playing BG2 was that the play area in BG1 is smaller."

What? BG1 area smaller? Are you mad? Perhaps you haven't gone through all of the map. Baldur's Gate is huge. Or do you mean the range of areas?
Old 07-19-2001, 12:03 PM   #16
Hesperex

...BG1 will seem rather simple as far as weapons and spells, character abillities go etc...but it does have an excellent story line and there are some nasty enemies to contend with, it would certainly enhance your bg2 playing experience and give you valuable insight into who you are, where you came from and who Gorien and Searvok are, how u met ,Minsc, Kalid, Jaheira and much, much more. I would highly recommend that you play it.

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.