Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #21
Chewbacca
Zartan

Default Re: Common Sense Says Major Hasan Was a Terrorist

The military bases I've been on are little communities more than they are armed forts with homes, schools, offices, and businesses. Folks don't walk around armed on main street and in the neighborhoods of most towns either.

I haven't read or heard yet, so I am curious why civilian police responded before the military police? I imagine it was a matter of logistics.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
Chewbacca
Zartan

Worried Re: Common Sense Says Major Hasan Was a Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Assassin View Post
My concern is with the surviving families. Those are the ones in most need, and *ALL* based upon wording is *HOW* they will receive service through the VA.
Wait, you are saying people will get better care and service depending on whether or not this guy is considered a terrorist rather than a workplace murderer? How the hell does that work?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #23
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: Common Sense Says Major Hasan Was a Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Wait, you are saying people will get better care and service depending on whether or not this guy is considered a terrorist rather than a workplace murderer? How the hell does that work?
That's a good question. Would think there wouldn't be more than one degree of "getting your loved ones murdered".
Old 11-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #24
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElfBane View Post
Well. I can't tell you *why*, but I can tell you.....Yes, the military are not allowed to walk about the base armed. That being said, there are some that are armed...if their normal OR currently assigned duty (such as range practice) calls for it. I spent most of my career during the Cold War and it was routine to pass the gate guards and see their weapons had no clips! But at least after 9/11 they actually started giving loaded weapons to the guards.
Not when I was walking perimeter or on gate duty after 9/11, we were NEVER issued ammunition, if we saw an intruder we were to call back to the MP's.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #25
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Shocked Re: Common Sense Says Major Hasan Was a Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
That's a good question. Would think there wouldn't be more than one degree of "getting your loved ones murdered".
Nope, a "murder" is simply an accident, you get a "sorry ma'am, here's your flag," insurance money, oh, and by the way, you can't live on base anymore now that your spouse isn't alive and serving.

A terrorist action however is an act of war, and part of the war on terror, merits a purple heart and numerous survivor benefits including pension IIRC.

Quote:
According to witnesses, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan entered a medical facility at Fort Hood, prayed briefly, then shouted "Allahu akbar" before he began gunning down American troops.

...the media waited for no information -- indeed actively avoided learning any information -- before leaping to the far less obvious conclusion that the suspect's mass murder was set off by "stress."

The day after the slaughter, The New York Times ran one editorial and two of three op-eds asserting as much.

Two days after the mass shooting, the Times' predictable headlines about the Fort Hood bloodbath were:

-- "Preliminary Inquiry Finds No Link to Terror Plot"

-- "Painful Stories Take a Toll on Military Therapists"

-- "When Soldiers' Minds Snap"

The Los Angeles Times jumped to the exact same conclusion, running an article on the massacre titled: "Fort Hood Tragedy Rocks Military as It Grapples With Mental Health Issues." Time magazine followed suit, posting an article titled: "Stresses at Fort Hood Were Likely Intense for Hasan."

Inasmuch as Maj. Hasan had never been deployed overseas, much less seen combat, they seem to have discovered the first recorded case of "pre-traumatic stress syndrome."

Their point was: The real victim of Fort Hood was Maj. Hasan. Indeed, all Muslims were the victims that day.
The evidence for the manifestly obvious conclusion we were supposed to avoid jumping to is rather more extensive. Hasan denounced the "war on terror" as a war against Islam, said Muslims should attack Americans in retaliation for the war in Iraq, defended suicide bombers and said he was "happy" when a Muslim murdered a soldier at a military recruiting center in Arkansas earlier this year.

Hasan shared a "spiritual adviser" with two of the Sept. 11 hijackers, Imam Anwar al-Awlaki, whose unseemly enthusiasm for jihad got him banned from speaking in Britain, even by video link.

A few years ago, Hasan delivered an hour-long PowerPoint lecture to an audience of doctors at Walter Reed Army Medical Center, arguing that non-Muslims should be beheaded and have burning oil poured down their throats.

BTW Al Awlaki posted an article to his website praising Hasan's actions at Ft Hood.

If it's NOT a terrorist attack, it's purely because of political correctness... and Obama not wanting to admit to letting the first terrorist attack in 8 years occur.

Last edited by Morgeruat; 11-13-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #26
dplax
Jack Burton

So if the guy had murdered just one soldier for the same reason it'd have been murder, but because he killed above 10 it's terrorism??? Weird reasoning...

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #27
Chewbacca
Zartan

Exclamation Re: Common Sense Says Major Hasan Was a Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgeruat View Post

If it's NOT a terrorist attack, it's purely because of political correctness... and Obama not wanting to admit to letting the first terrorist attack in 8 years occur.
Well at least one motive is clear. If it turns out it is a terrorist attack, it's not because of the facts, but because it will make Obama look bad. So why not start making Obama look bad now via insidious implication.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #28
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
Well at least one motive is clear. If it turns out it is a terrorist attack, it's not because of the facts, but because it will make Obama look bad. So why not start making Obama look bad now via insidious implication.
Okay, silly me but I actually took this article at face value, and wondered why FTA was so hung up on the word terrorist, going as far as to exhibit a delighted shock when I used it. Now, I know - as it occurs to me you are right here. And, I prolly should have known. I actually thought this had no agenda to it for a second. Oh well.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:44 PM   #29
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplax View Post
So if the guy had murdered just one soldier for the same reason it'd have been murder, but because he killed above 10 it's terrorism??? Weird reasoning...
Or, like I said earlier, if he prays beforehand. So if they don't wanna be terrorists, they need to at least do it while they're eating breakfast, but never in front of people before they start killing.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
Chewbacca
Zartan

The perp's criminal profile fits a sociopath workplace murderer more than a terrorist. I think in the end he will be forgotten as both. I'm gonna start forgetting right now.