Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2000, 04:42 AM   #1
Zertyr

Ok, this is the first post about char creations. Im planing
on putting together a char creation process. where ppl can
get ideas and tips on creating chars. and we start out with
the fighter.

What I want from you guys is:

* What type of Fighter should you choose? (ofcourse diffrent for diffrent playing styles)
* What weapon profs should the char choose? (again, depending on fighter class and playing style)
* Dual Classing? (If the player wants to dual his char, what should he think about)
* Building the Group? (What group should the player aim for, ofcourse, think of aligment)*half spoiler*
* Major Quests? (Some major quests the char should aim for?) *spoiler*
* Stronghold? (Usage of the stronghold and how to attain it) *spoiler*
* Equipment? (Depending ofcourse on weapon prof and playing style)

Anything more to add?

LET YOUR IDEAS OUT PPL!

/Zertyr

Old 12-22-2000, 05:24 AM   #2
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I make a generic fighter, no disadvantages.
Proficent with either longswords dual wielding, standard hacker.. or Bow nd 2 h sword, ranged start attack and then cruel mopping up, there are good 2 h swords in the game.
If dual class either mage or thief, like to start as Assasin, there are good leather armors and you can sneak up and make a backstab later on with grandmastery in longsword and high strength! Lots of fun! And after a backstab, you don´t have to be a crybaby if there are creatures left in the room...
Wizards are good, good saving throws and as a fighter from start, good HP and Thac0.
If I play a fighter, i need a good cleric and good mage, a thief and ranger to follow up the thief so he wont get in trouble, your character takes care of main woopass, the others are there to support ypu, negate magic, take out enemy range attacks..
Quests, kill the dragons, require longsword proficency and to be able to wear all the good armour, have good mages and another for backu fighting!
Find good weapons is essential, they´re your livelyhood(or something scuse my bad english) Othe, follow the plot and take as many as possible, grand mastery is expansive!
Stronghold, schmonghold! Yeah, you get a place to ditch some of your equipment, some gold some trouble.. Nothing much, but it´s good for your character to flesh out, one disadvantage with the Nalia quest is that you get so bloody annoyed with the "highclass" nose in the air types that room around, one purpose to be tru evil is that you can wipe that scum away and have a cruel laughing time the same time!!!

Equipment! Bolster strength and Dexterity, magic protection and alot of potions. Magic arrows, arrow of dispelling, explosion and others are good for the fighter, no magic no fun?
He, no way, get a dual wielding fighter with to good swords, sword of Ray, any +3 longsword or flametounge, negative plane protection and hunt some longfanged vampires! Watch them scream, listen to your fighter roaring! hehehehe.. Also boots of speed always to the fighter, se battle friend+ See evil mage prepairing evil spell? Evil mage meet Vorpal blade Oh yes!!!

Sorry got a bit carried away there

Sum:
Fighters are fun to play, only disadvantage is that they do the same thing from start to end, only better. But they get a christmas every time an enemy has fallen: any magic weapons? Better armor? See the glee in their eyes when they done that cool plate hefting that sword, yes fighters are cool guys and women!
Their strategy is simple but ha to be made with preecision, to strike at the right time, charge in at the exact moment and never leave voulnreable characters in the fray!
Fighters are the shields for the rest of the party, the down and ugly guys.. Robust trustworthy but sad enough, also your worst enemy, if dire charmed or anything similiar, get your mage out of their! Only then will you realize his/her full potential when he suddenly turns on you, so be good to them!

Howl with me, a fat man will soon climb down your chimney!
Old 12-22-2000, 07:11 AM   #3
Sylent

One obvious thing: always aim for a high 18/xx score, this is very important...
just a few comments,
I also like to play pure fighter, though I must admit I have never tried any of the new kits... I also like to have dual wield, and long sword proficiencies, coz they work well together, throughout most of the game...
Alignment is basically a player specific thing, your choice, and is effected most by the style which I want to play, I usually go Chaotic Good though, coz I dont like being a Paladin type player, but I like to do things the nice way...

Old 12-23-2000, 06:10 AM   #4
Zertyr

I myself have only had one little fighter, but liked him with a 2-handed
sword and a nice bow, the guy you send in as suicide tank, and the others
back him up.

But I guess you guys who have played more have more diffrent tactics on
the class.

Old 12-23-2000, 06:50 AM   #5
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Yes, at least i do. I like to have a mage start with an area effet spell and have the enemies react on that as a first encounter, when they run after the mage, my fighter attcks them in the run and a cleric cast holy smite, bless and doom and others to help the fighter, the thief bakstabs and try to get away to use a bow instead and a ranger that pricks their magic users with arrows of ice, saw that the other day as a tip to piss mages off!!!

HOWL WITH ME!
Raindeers taste good with applesauce!
Old 12-23-2000, 09:44 AM   #6
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

I've tried a couple of fighters. Pure class is probably best, can use almost all items. Proficiency in katana if you know where fury is, axes if you don't. I don't put proficiencies into missile weapons as your fighters place is in melee. Don't need intelligence or wisdom. Best armor as most monsters will be attacking him. Kill wizards before they incapicate fighter in some way. Boots of speed a must have. You'll need a second fighter NPC, two healers a thief and a mage in your party. Best alignment for party is good so you can get reputation 20 and buy all the best equipment to keep your fighter alive.
Old 12-23-2000, 09:49 AM   #7
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Intelligence helps if you're toe to toe with Mind Flayers. They work like hitpoints then. A dumbo with 3 intgnce is dead after one hit. Wisedom give some protection against some magic as well (Well documented on this board how foolish Minsc is often charmed)
Old 12-23-2000, 03:03 PM   #8
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Best fighter kit? Barbarian....backstab, what backstab? Also higher movement rate, and that barbarian rage is a very verry verrry cool thing. What's a fighter do...KILL, KILL, KILL. And Yoricks right about the int and wis. those mind flayers are, to quote the imps in the Sahuagin city, nasty, nasty, nasty!!!!!
Old 12-28-2000, 05:24 AM   #9
Zertyr

I am creating my own party that I am going to play
in multiplayer mode. I am thinking of just a pure
fighter who can "tank" for the rest of the squad.

but then, should I give him the sword+shield skill
to make sure he is up to the task of tanking for
the others? or any other good ideas??

Old 12-28-2000, 05:46 AM   #10
One ANGRY halfling

Half-Orc Special in Long or Bastard or Two handed swords once you get the Vorpal blade you'll be one helluva tank. Right now i'm using a halfing warrior hoho.