Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2002, 01:59 AM   #1
chimera99
The Magister

I have recieved the under water quest from both sides ( both sides are still are frendly, I have not talked to Heli that way I don't feel obliged to kill her.)

Anyway, I have heard all the horror stories about Nessie etc and I am wondering if a lvl 12-14 party is too low. (Human Valk and Fighter, Dwarf priest, hobbit bard, farie mage and ninja.) Should I just go area clearing for a while?
chimera99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 02:33 AM   #2
fable
Quintesson

My party was level 14 when it took on Nessie. I used elementals to distract her, ran close, and had my samurai drink a superman potion before hitting her. It took several rounds, and she killed a couple of members of my party, but I resurrected 'em before Nessie entered death's gate. Fun for the whole family!
fable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:33 AM   #3
Kinfyr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I found it too low for myself at levels 14 and 15. I summoned elementals, had superman cast on my fighters, the bard was casting heal all, my bishops were casting defensive spells (bless, soul shield, element shield, eye for eye, armour melt etc) and after 22 round I barely did 150 points of damage. So at that rate it would have taken me over 100 rounds to beat her. I'm not saying its impossible but luck really helps. Oh, and my valkyrie got swallowed around round 10 which didn't help any. I also had everyone equiped with weapons that had the highest ko and kill % I could but it didn't make a difference.

Good luck.
Kinfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 08:56 AM   #4
Knip Dyolf
The Magister

This is a posting I did recently on another board. I hope it helps

Ok...Im going to blow my own trumpet here (my bard looks at me with an evil eye)
I finally killed Nessie.
After about 5 restarts my group finally suceeded. I just had to tell someone...so I came straight in here

My group is:
Fighter
Valkerie
Ranger
Priest
Bard
Mage
RFS-81
All about level 12 (yep, I thought I wouldnt have a chance)

This is what happened:
We hugged the wall. We were trying to sneek around Nessie. Got behind a rock and was spotted. Bugger I thought "here we go again" . Already had protective spells energised.
Used two canned elementals.
One was a rock elemental the other an air elemental.
The rock guy lasted about two rounds but the air lasted the whole battle. He was brilliant. Gave Nessie an average damage of about 40 per round (when he was able to hit).
My mage was the first (and only one) to meet her maker. shucks.
While we were behind the rock my bard played instruments to hasten us. I tried spells against Nessie to paralyse, slow, sicken Nessie but nothing seemed to work
Nessie hit us all and we were looking rather sick and sad. But the next round Nessie was laying into the air fella and forgot about us.
So my bard restored all our health while my priest fixed her stamina. My other guys were waffing potions to increase their AC and attacking damage.
We bit the bullet and walked straight up to Nessie. My front line fighters were able to get about 30 damage to Nessie each round. My priest and bard were left to restore hit points and stamina.
The best part though was every second round Nessie would hit the air guy and forget about us. I really think this guy is what saved our butts.
It was a long 10 min battle and we came close to dying a few times.
As we were slowly getting Nessies hit points down my heart rate was going up. IMHO people who say turn base combat isnt exciting should have a go at Nessie. My palms are still sweaty and I think the danger of having a heart attack is slowly beginning to fade
Ok guys have a nice day...I will as I have a constant smile on my face at the moment.
I just love this game!

Knip
\"Listen, strange women lyin\' in ponds distributin\' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. \"<br />Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knip Dyolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:06 AM   #5
MagiK

I used an Air Elemental to Distrasct nessie and when my guys started wompping on her...she wandered off....just left us standing there....so we just went along the edge of the area untill we found the path to Bayjin andhavn't seen nor heard from nessie since.
When she wondered of I had her down to around 700hp. Anyone else have her just leave?
Old 01-07-2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Kinfyr
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I had Nessie retreat on me a few times. Unfortunately though she wold back off a bit then either breath on me or cast earthquake.

The other thing I noticed was I couldn't get haste in any form to work. I tried potions and my bard multiple time but it always fizzled. I truly think I would have had better success if I could only get it to work. My understanding though is that any fire realm spell won't work underwater. Its good to know that its possible with a bard. Will have to try it again.
Kinfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 05:12 PM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

My level 22 Bard (admittedly not long changed to a level 1 fighter) is 0 for 25 in playing the rousing drums underwater. He is yet to fail with the higher level instruments of Dulcimer of Mending and Chaos Drone, so I suspect that you are right with the fire spell failures.
Old 01-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
Knip Dyolf
The Magister

Perhaps I was wrong with my bard succeeding with her rousing drums though I know she played them.
I was trembling with every decision I was making. I didnt take notes and half the time when I pressed the ENTER button I closed my eyes.
Anyways potions always worked as did my bard healing all and my priest keeping her stamina up.
It was a damm hard battle I know that though. And things only get worse in Bayjin [img]graemlins/crying.gif[/img]

Knip.....(the confused one)
\"Listen, strange women lyin\' in ponds distributin\' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. \"<br />Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Knip Dyolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 09:50 PM   #9
Drakton
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I think I was just lucky. The first time Nessie killed and swallowed mty party after about 30 rounds. I remember my fighter was the only one left standing, and Nessie had only 9 points left. My fighter missed about 5-6 hits in a row and then she swallowed him. I reloaded and this time equipped everybody with long range weapons, medusa stones and the best arrows in my inventory. Luckily she felt unconscious in the first round. Finishing her was a piece of cake. IIRC my party was around 9-10 level..
Š.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:41 AM   #10
phoenixsl
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Nessie was pretty tough, I killed her when my party was around level 10 (a little low I think). I used 2 canned elementals (just for meat shields), superman potions, and armormelt(this spell rocks). I was doing major dmg(around 20-30) per round for my 3 front chars and my priest and bard casting healing spells every round. Took awhile, but it worked well.

Good luck to all you deep sea hunters!
phoenixsl is offline   Reply With Quote