Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2001, 09:46 AM   #31
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

I got started on PC games at work. I became a CADD Operator in 1988. Worked on a old Vax system. We got some new pcs at work Beleive they were Epson IBM clones. I worked the second shift and we didn't have a third shift. Someone brought in some PGA golf games with different courses like Augusta and Pebble Beach. My buddy and I would get our work done and then stay there playing golf games until 3 or 4 in the morning. Then I bought my own computer to help my then girlfriend (now wife) do her computer class work where see went to school. She got an A and I learned Basic.

I eventually got a color monitor and bought Falcon (a flight simulator game) and then Lord Of The Rings. Played them for hours. The last game I bought was Cammando. At the time they were the coolest thing going. They beat the old Atari hands down, cause you had to use your mind.

------------------
Sir Taliesin

Ten Rings there are, and nine gold torcs on the battlechiefs of old...
Old 03-08-2001, 10:56 AM   #32
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by WOLFGIR:
Hi TOBBIN!

yep sure does remeber larry! LOL
hehe..

Hey I see your sigs are not showing, same as mine..

I was unable to go to your website too. Maybe this is why your signature isn't showing?

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-08-2001, 02:55 PM   #33
Aurican
Elminster

My first rpg was Quest for Glory I: So You Want to be a Hero by Sierra. I don't remember when I first played it but It was 256 color. I had in on my 486 25mHz packard bell with a 160 meg hard drive. Needless to say we have all come along way!

------------------
Can an elf get a break anywhere these days?
Old 03-08-2001, 03:14 PM   #34
JJ/newbie

oh, so you weren't talking about the stone-age I remember a friend had an epson equity 2+e, 12mghz, 1mb ram, 40mb hd, we played some sort of dungeon game that kept on crashing. The first "modern" comp i had was a dx2 50mghz, 4mbram, and a whopping 250meg drive, that was in 91 for over 2000$ (ouch!) I had this game that was shareware, called Moraff's Dungeon - anyone ever play that? It was actually pretty cool, had like over 100 levels to go down, and even a major boss every 10 levels before the big guy himself. I don't remember too much about it now, but there was a town above, teleport portals for the various sections, experience points, and all that jazz. wish I knew where it was now

------------------
When given a choice, take both.

Old 03-08-2001, 03:30 PM   #35
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by Stealthy:
Amazing Ziroc, my first game was also EOB, but I played it on the amiga. I am fairly new to the PC, so I still find games novel. Can't wait for Black & White and Neverwinter Nights. EOB had me captivated, as I played AD&D in my youth, but found it difficult to find fellow players as I got older. Did you use the wand, or did you kill him the hard way?
I killed him the hard way, but their was a 'trick' to killing him (learned this after I reloaded near him, then killing him again, and again), what you can do is bad up RIGHT AWAY, because Xanther will throw death spells, fireball and Disintegrate at you, he won't follow through the door, so what you can now do is go back in (when his side is in your direction) and attack, back up, and repeat till he is dead.

I Didn't know about the wand of Sylvias until I played it a 2nd time
I've played EOB about 50 times now, and one time I beat it in 5 hrs 40mins!
(I didn't do all the 'special quests' on every level during that speed test though.

Favorite scary area - Drow! and those damn Spiders.... ugh! (I didn't even have a sound card at the time, but the PC Speaker WAS pretty good for it's time)

Ziroc

Old 03-08-2001, 07:44 PM   #36
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Aurican:
My first rpg was Quest for Glory I: So You Want to be a Hero by Sierra. I don't remember when I first played it but It was 256 color. I had in on my 486 25mHz packard bell with a 160 meg hard drive. Needless to say we have all come along way!

I played this game not too long after I played Leisure Slut Larry. I would like to add that the versions that I played had 16 color graphics (Tandy IBM clone with enhanced graphics over the normal 4 color CGA mode) and had Tandy 3 voice synthesized sound (better than 1 voice regular). I had to buy it again when they re-introduced them with 256 color graphics (VGA). I remember that we had to type into a parser in my version, but in the 256 color one, you could use your mouse.

------------------

Death Waits 4 U ALL
Old 03-09-2001, 09:05 AM   #37
bilqis
Symbol of Cyric

I sometimes wonder what we've done to our 4 sons (if anything). They have all played computer games since they were about 2 years old, and have played CRPGs and Adventure games since they were .. 5? ... 7? My second sons favorite games when he was about 10 were Sam & Max Hit the Road, and all of the Leisure Suit Larry games.

I guess we're the test family for if computer games create monsters.

------------------

Having abandoned my search for truth, I am now looking for a good Fantasy.