Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Trogdor
Manshoon

Happy Laughing Canadian's better recognise Mario than Stephen Harper

rofl

Quote:
VANCOUVER, B.C., November 13, 2007 – Front-page headlines as the country's most powerful politician apparently doesn't make you more recognizable than an animated Italian plumber.

According to a Harris/Decima survey commissioned by Nintendo of Canada, more people in Calgary, Toronto and Halifax can identify a photo of Nintendo's iconic video game character, Mario, than can identify a photo of Prime Minister Stephen Harper. Even in Calgary, which includes Harper's home riding of Calgary Southwest, Mario was more recognizable (47 per cent vs. 41 per cent). More women across Canada were also able to identify Mario than the country's top politician (66 per cent vs. 63 per cent) and nationwide, the animated plumber is just as well-known as the prime minister. Both were recognized by 70 per cent of respondents in five major centres when asked to identify photographs by name.

Mario, who launches his newest title Super Mario GalaxyTM for Nintendo's WiiTM, also outshone opposition leader Stephane Dion. Less than half of Canadians surveyed - 48 per cent - were able to identify Dion's photo, which included a Canadian flag in the background. In fact, in Montreal, which includes Dion's home riding of Saint-Laurent-Cartierville, more people recognized Mario than the Liberal party leader (78 per cent vs. 71 per cent).

"Canadian politicians are lucky Mario doesn't have his Canadian citizenship and could campaign for office," said Ron Bertram, general manager of Nintendo of Canada. "It's no surprise that Mario is more recognized than high-profile politicians: he's entertained generations of Canadians and inspires only happy thoughts."

"Super Mario Galaxy for Wii will further boost Mario's stature in Canada" said Bertram. "Moms and dads will have some great Mario fun alongside their kids."

Nintendo's Mario character is the bestselling video game franchise of all time, selling more than 200-million units worldwide. Mario has appeared in more than 200 games since his debut in the original Donkey Kong® in 1981. He first headlined a title in 1983 in Mario Bros.® and soon after in the revolutionary Super Mario Bros.® in 1985 on the Nintendo Entertainment System® (NES).

Super Mario Galaxy, available across Canada with gameplay in English and French, is the latest innovative title in the popular franchise, using unique motion-based controls in a gravity-defying adventure. Super Mario Galaxy brings Mario to the Wii generation - young or old, gamer or not. And with the game's innovative "co-star mode," even the most inexperienced players can join in the action.

Other Mario facts:

# Mario is the brainchild of legendary video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, who also created the Donkey Kong and Legend of Zelda® franchises
# Mario was known as Jumpman when he debuted in the Donkey Kong arcade game in 1981
# Mario's original occupation was a carpenter, not a plumber
# The Mario franchise has spawned a cartoon TV show, comic book series and a rock opera
# Academy-award winning actor Bob Hoskins played Mario in the live-action 1993 Hollywood film Super Mario Bros
# Mario made history in 2003 by becoming the first video game character to be honored with a wax figure in the legendary Hollywood Wax Museum
# The world's largest metal Super Mario was built in downtown Toronto in 2006. The 10-foot high structure was built in a day with 4,000 cans of food weighing close to 2,600 pounds. All food was later donated to the Daily Bread Food Bank in Toronto.

About the survey
Harris/Decima conducted the survey research between October 11 and October 16 via mall intercepts with randomly selected Canadians in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto GTA, Montreal and Halifax. The sample margin of error is +/- 5.5%, 19 times out of 20. Surveys were conducted in both English and French. Results are weighted to reflect Statistics Canada regional populations.

Shoop Da Whoop!
Linux - People aren't really interested in building their car from scratch either.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Default Re: Canadian's better recognise Mario than Stephen Harper

Obviously Mario's got a better agent...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I wouldn't call these guys "high profile" politicians. They're basically just average bureaucrats. They didn't get to the top on their merits, people had to vote for the party, and these guys were the best the parties had on hand. None of them have the charisma and inspiring aura real high profile politicians usually have. They will be forgotten as soon as they're replaced.

Honestly if you would have asked me their name I probably wouldn't have remembered it.

Last edited by Luvian; 11-13-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
Aerich
Lord Ao

It's a sad reflection of our society's lack of commitment to political awareness.

Of course, on seeing the thread title I originally thought "Mario" was Mario Lemieux, in which case the relative recognition would be eminently understandable.
Aerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

LOL! I thought the same thing... who else could Mario be in Canada, eh?
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think the main reason for that is because there hasn't been any "dirt" on him, so the tabloids are just not going to waste space on his picture.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 AM   #7
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Sunglass Man Re: Canadian's better recognise Mario than Stephen Harper

I don't think this reflects anything other than Mario is a unique character, I think Mario is more recognizable than George Bush or Prince Charles. My dad was once mistaken for Prince Charles but I don't know anyone who would accidentally be mistaken for Mario. If there is a photo of George Bush on a fishing trip and covered in fish guts and worms and you have to think twice about who he is than he is not as recognizable as Mario.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Maybe Stephen Harper need to wear a thick moustache, a red cap, do plumbing business and start jumping on people's head to get some recognition.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Sir Goulum
John Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
I wouldn't call these guys "high profile" politicians. They're basically just average bureaucrats. They didn't get to the top on their merits, people had to vote for the party, and these guys were the best the parties had on hand. None of them have the charisma and inspiring aura real high profile politicians usually have. They will be forgotten as soon as they're replaced.

Honestly if you would have asked me their name I probably wouldn't have remembered it.
Was Tony Blair just another bureaucrat?
Sir Goulum is offline   Reply With Quote