Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default XP problem

Sorry about making another thread asking for help for windows XP but I've tried everything and still not getting W&W to work. Before I start here is my current system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 3800+

2 gigs ram
WinXP home SP2
NVIDIA Geforce 7600 GT
DirectX 9.0c

Here is the problem when I start the game it freezes and I have to ctrl alt del to get the error message that says the memory couldn't be written.

I have read through the previous posts and the tech tips. I've virtual dubbed the townAVI files, tried all the compatability on the shortcut (Win95, Win98 and WinNT) Downloaded the codecs from http://www.laitlatool.com/videolist.htm and still nothing

I was sure getting the codecs would solve the problem because I am having the exact same error message that some people had and they were able to fix the problem with Willow's link to the free codecs.

I also tried changing my resolution when starting the game, turning off my video accelorator.

It might be a dual processor conflict (I've had problems in the past with older games and dual processors) The way I always fixed that problem was to start the game and then set affinity to just one processor but I can't even do that because the game won't even let me get to the main menu.

Anyways any thoughts on why I keep getting this error message would be appreciated. Thanks a lot
skaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: XP problem

Hi Skaven and welcome to the boards!!!

I'm not the techie on these boards, sorry, but we still have our best techies visit regularly and they should be able to help you out. Hopefully soon!

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program?? (it's a lame idea but sometimes that does work)
Bungleau will probably have some good idea - he's solved problems for so many players!
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for the quick reply Wyvern but I've already tried reinstalling 3 times now and still nada. Don't you just love Windows and how they always make sure that their new OS's are always so user friendly towards their own older programs

Anyways I'll keep checking the forum for maybe something I missed and wait for Bungleau.

Last edited by skaven; 09-22-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Winking Re: XP problem

Welcome to the boards, Skaven May evil in the Gael Serran soon quake in fear of your presence

Hmmm... I haven't tried W&W on a dual-processor machine (either dual processor or dual core). There may be something in there, but let's try a couple of other things first.
  • Have you tried it with no other programs running? It could be your antivirus or firewall causing the grief.
  • Have you set virtual memory to a fixed size? That can't hurt... set it to 2-3 times your memory, or in your case, probably 3GB. There's only so much extra space you need...
  • Have you made sure that you've got the latest drivers for your vid and sound cards?
  • Have you applied the patch? Sometimes it makes magic happen...

There's also something that Kakero posted on the second page of Tech Tips. To quote...
Quote:
This is a long shot.

Download and install act20.exe. At the start menu run AFixApp. On The application for which to apply the fix, browse for Deep6.exe on the W&W folder. After that, in Select an existing layer to apply to your application select Win98 and click run.
Let's try that and see what happens.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Okay I just did everything you recommended and I still get that annoying "the memory couldn't be written" error. I have a FAT32 partition and will try installing it on that to see if it helps.

Here is what I have done.

Changed the swap file to 4096 just in case it needs to be 2x my ram gig.

updated drivers for both realtek AC97 sound and Nvidea.

closed every little program icon in the taskbar and made sure no applications that I knew of were running.

and I had already applied the patch.

I also tried act20.exe and after that didn't work I downloaded act 5.0 from microsoft and still get that lovely can't write memory error.

It seems like it's trying to write on a part of the system that is for some reason is read only but since my tech knowlege is almost nonexistant I am just guessing here.

I don't know if this will help but here is a list of what programs are running when I shut as much as I can down.

svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
wdfmgr.exe LOCAL SERVICE
alg.exe LOCAL SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE
explorer.exe MY PROFILE (ADMIN)
iexplore.exe
rundll32.exe
avgnt.exe
soundman.exe
ctfmon.exe
ctfmon.exe
taskmgr.exe
wscntfy.exe
System Idle Process SYSTEM
System SYSTEM
smss.exe SYSTEM
csrss.exe SYSTEM
winlogon.exe SYSTEM
services.exe SYSTEM
Isass.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe SYSTEM
sched.exe SYSTEM
ATKKBService.exe SYSTEM
cidaemon.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe SYSTEM
cisvc.exe SYSTEM
DkService.exe SYSTEM
nvsvc32.exe SYSTEM
spoolsv.exe SYSTEM
avguard.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe SYSTEM
wmiapsrv.exe SYSTEM

This seems like a heck of a lot of things to be running when I supposedly shut down mostly everything. Anyways I will try unistalling and reinstalling with the FAT32 partition.

I just like to say thanks for your help, I really appreciate it and I'm glad Ironworks is the one site around that keeps these old great games alive and kicking. It doesn't seem like Wiz&War is that old but in the computer world anything over 5 years is ancient
Old 09-23-2007, 04:37 AM   #6
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I reinstalled, redid the patch/avi/compatability shortcut, updated windows, went to trendmicro and had one worm taken off (a little disgusting my computer has worms), shutdown the firewall and just in case I added deep6 to the exceptions list, shut down Antivir and all other apps. Still no dice I get the message from hell "The instruction at 00423dba referenced memory at 02980000 The memory could not be written."

The gael Serran calls to me but my computer is being stubborn and trying to keep me out.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've tried everything I know of and nothing until I saw something called virtualPC. When I was downloading ACT50 they mentioned something about it. I got it and finally figured out how to use it by loading win98 or whatever OS you want to use in it. After that I FINALLY got W&W to work :BANANAGROUP:

The only drawback I see is that I can't use any resolution other than 640 in software mode but hey beggars can't be choosers lol. If anyone knows why my XP is such a pain in the butt I still would like to try to get it to work but until then I'm off to the Gael to kick some monster butt
:buttshake::shooter03:

by the way I love all the smily choices here.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #8
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Oh HURRAH!!! Glad you have finally got it working (even if you are stuck in software mode)!

You'll have to tell us of your adventures!!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Have you tried the XP compatibility wizard? If not then it may be worth a shot.
Follow these step to get to it:
Start> Help&Support> Fixing a problem> Application&software problems> Fix a problem> Getting older programs to run on Windows XP> Program compatibility wizard
Then either select from list or browse to .exe and follow steps.
May not work but I have to run a couple of really old games this way.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #10
skaven
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just tried the compatibility wizard and still get the same error message. It always freezes as soon as I see the black screen and the hourglass cursor then exactly the same error message as above. Thanks for the tip and will use that for future older win games.

I'm curious does anyone have a dual processor motherboard and get this game to work in XP?

It's a bit funny that I have two copies of wiz and war loaded into this stubborn computer. One for the VirtualPC and one for XP hoping I can get it working.

Last edited by skaven; 09-25-2007 at 02:34 AM.