Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum

Old 06-26-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Recently, I've played a number of custom modules that I felt were so good it would almost be a crime not to share them. At the same time, I'd like to encourage everyone else to share their (your) favorite mods.

Some of my personal favorites:

1) Hex Coda (http://www.pixelscapes.com/hexcoda/)
This is easily the best module I've played to date in terms of originality and henchmen interaction. To quote the author: Powerful multinational corporations aligned with corrupt politicians to gain power and control. A team of rebels, security system hackers, and hexcode compilers operating outside the law. Mutated beasts created by waste spills. Hulking mechanical security automatons with built in energy beam blasters. Dance clubs throbbing with synthesized music. Elven wizards who cast magic missile spells and summon dire tigers. ... wait, what? Huh?

2) Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series (http://adamandjamie.com/nwn/)
These mods have dominated the Hall of Fame for quite some time now, and while they are a bit dated, they're still top of the line in terms of roleplaying and custom content. (fly on the back of a dragon, walk the ocean floor..)

3) A Hunt through the Dark (http://www.schlegels.de/ahtd/ahtdxp.htm)
A rather nice roleplaying mod that lets you play as a Dark Elf. The scripting and setting are great, but I didn't like the fact that the Drow talk like a bunch of 16-year old skaters. ("you killed the Gnomes? Cool!")

4)Elegia Eternum/Excrucio Eternum (no link - you'll have to check The Vault)
Elegia was one of the most professional mods I'd ever seen when I first tried it.It even included high quality voice acting. The whole module is one big puzzel, so its not much good to the hack n' slashers. Excrucio is the sequel, based on the same concept.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/TopRated.php?content=modules

A listing of some of the top modules according to the Neverwinter Vault. I personally haven't played through a complete module yet, but I know that the two Diablo modules are superb for hack and slash lovers. Same thing goes with the Mines of Moria module, but I have yet to run through that with a suitably equipped character (read: tons of gold, tons of bags of holding, preferably Level 20)

I would also suggest (for the sheer throwback playability) Eye Of The Beholder. Apparently there are two different versions for this module, but I only have the link for one of them. Regardless, for people who have never played through the original game, this will prove entertaining. For those who have, there are apparently new levels within this game translation to keep you guessing.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=4028

[ 06-28-2006, 03:34 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 10:32 AM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thats a great link, MW. Typically, I just check the Hall of Fame, but this is a much better list. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
deadmoney
Dungeon Master

Just my two cents worth, I liked the "Dreams of Destruction" series (if you can handle being a bad guy (very bad actually). Over the 3 module series, it forces you to get to at least 10th level Blackguard to finish it. It was entertaining. Just wanted to mention that to those that were interested.
deadmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:40 AM   #5
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Is "Dreams Of Destruction" the module where you are assisting the yuan-ti? I know there is a module where you are literally serving the yuan-ti that I have been meaning to try out. I was almost tempted to download a copy of the Nordock Persistent World module. There was another Persistent World that was posted up for grabs on the vault that looked interesting, but I forgot which one it was. As well, one should never forget the Penultima sequence, mainly for the sheer humour it will bring back to your game.

[ 06-27-2006, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Has anyone played, or heard of, any really good modules for high level characters, at least 20+, but even in the 30th to 40th level range? I would like to take some of the characters I have built up through HOTU into a module, but they tend to be mid to high epic level when they are done with HOTU. Any challenging, interesting modules for epic level characters?
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:13 AM   #7
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

look for one known as "The Island." make sure to have all your items you want/need with you before loading it up. if not, then purchase a few dozen in one of the trainer modules. apparently you will need it by the middle of the module.

another one which has hit Hall Of Fame status is "Caereena - Krakona Rising." I have the website listing for it here. I am not certain how hard it is in terms of fighting vs. roleplay, however, so you would have to check it out after finishing "The Island." according to the designer, this one will easily take twenty hours out of your week to finish, and there is no multiplayer accessibility involved.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=4045

don't forget the Diablo modules for sheer chaotic playability all the way to epic levels. there are a few servers which run them day and night, but a few of them are "Clan-based" and therefore a little annoying to check out. there is also the RDG series (Random Dungeon Generator) by Eladrin. (same person who helped out with Infinite Dungeons.)

[ 06-28-2006, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Mozenwrathe ]
Old 06-28-2006, 09:39 AM   #8
Witchdoctor
Dungeon Master

Thanks, I found it at the Neverwinter Vault here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view...Detail&id=4912
Looks like it is a couple hours long, but just the place to take an epic character. I'll have to try it this weekend. Thanks.

[ 06-28-2006, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Witchdoctor ]
Witchdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:50 AM   #9
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Another good one to look for is "Crimson Tides of Tethyr". And then there's the trilogy of Midwinter Festival, Midsummer Knight's Dream and Midnight Calling.

And as I look at my list of good mods, there is also:

Of Kings and Desperate Men
The Penultima/Penultima Rerolled series (start with Penultima series)
The Seige of Shadowdale
In The Company Of Thieves (2 mods)
Honor Among Thieves (maybe the best thief mod in the vault)
Return to Ravenloft and Ravenloft: Beyond The Gate (connected pair)
Black Thorn if you like solving mysteries (this one is very good)

Others on my list have already been mentioned. This should be enough to keep you busy for some time

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote