Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2000, 03:59 AM   #1
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I have just started playing and one of my warriors has just become eligible for a new level. How do you increase skills you already have. I was only able to select a new skill and with the skill scrolling bug, I wanted to avoid that as much as possible. I ended up taking athletics as I did not want to add any more weapons skills. Is this a good skill to have? It sounds good but does it actually help.

I have also read on this board that your intelligence stat divided by 4 is how many skill points you get at each level up. So I took a long time to roll my party to ensure that everyone has a 12 and thus 3 skill points. Yet with my 12 in intelligence I only had 1 skill point to spend.

What am I doing wrong.

Alira
Alira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 10:58 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

You're probably not doing anything wrong.
Athletic is a good skill to have.
Don't fret too much about the skill scrolling bug - it will not affect your game too badly. I didn't find it worth while to up everyone's weapon skills in all weapons so by passing some of those is a good choice.
You will be able to train in skills at the guilds. When one of your character joins a guild - click on the icon on the left icon screen that has them enter the guild. The upper right icon is for training. Training at the guilds is the best and fastest way to increase skills. You can train once for every level, if you have the money. If one character is a member of more than one guild they can train in several things at one time.
Hope that helps!
Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 11:12 AM   #3
gaunty
The Magister

long term spoil
the icon that has a computer.
In that screen, there is a option to restart
the game all over. Make sure that none of your men are transision to being another class. you can start the game all over with
your crew at a higher skill level.
gaunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 06:31 PM   #4
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Gaunty: I don't understand the reasoning to reset. I need to improve as I play.

Wyv: it is good to know that the skill scrolling bug is something that will not affect the game too much. I know about training at the guild but my concern is that I can't increase skill properly when I level up. If you can I would like the answer to these two questions:
1. Why do I only get 1 skill point when I should get 3 with my intelligence of 12?
2. If I try to increase a current skill,the gray bar gets extended and then I can't do anything else. I can't use the skill point for a new skill. I have to continue and thus lose the skill point.

Thanks.
Old 12-28-2000, 12:48 AM   #5
Alira
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Carg: Thanks you very much for your explanation. I did not originally see that message about the skill going up to a certain percent as it was not in the text box. Skill points only adding a percentage is somethng that hsould have been in the manual. Perhaps you are right about basic roles getting less skill points than other roles. I certainly hope that is the explanation.

another skill question: which ones are good ones to take?

Alira
Old 12-28-2000, 01:33 AM   #6
Nagash

Hi! Just bought the game and itz been quite interesting...But I wanted to ask what exactly is the skill bug u ppl are talking about???

Also, are there any formulas that I should know off that is not in the online manual???( like the skill point/INT calculation )

I would really appreciate it if someone lists them out for me...Thanks in advance
Old 12-28-2000, 02:49 AM   #7
Vagabond

The skill scrolling bug occurs when you get so many skills that all of them cannot fit on the first page of your skill list. In any other program you would be able to scroll down to see the entire list, but WW does not have a scroll button so the items on the bottom can never be seen, thus never increased when leveling.

The best way to avoid this is to not put points into skills you will never use. That way, when you change classes, skills with zero points drop off the list making room for the new skills of the new profession. Take myself for instance, I put 1 point into each of my warriors' weapon skills before I heard of the bug. I hope that patch comes out soon!

In an earlier post, the best friend of someone's brother's cousin's sister said that HP's tech site said that this was supposed to be fixed in the next patch.
Old 12-28-2000, 04:51 AM   #8
carg
The Magister

The skill (and trait) scrolling bug hasn't affected me at all the first time I played through. If you play normally, don't change roles too often and don't increase and buy every skill, you probably won't notice it at all. Now I'm playing with three characters and switching roles 5 times, and now my first character has chosen one skill too many, but he can still train that at a guild.

The amount of skill points you gain at levelling is not completely fixed by intelligence. I have noticed some variations at least, and when you've switched to a new role you'll receive only one point per level until you're higher than your previous level. It might even be that basic roles gain fewer skill points than the elite ones.

Nagash: there's a lot of info that's not in the manual. But for me part of the fun of a new game is discovering what is important and how to play efficiently. Now that I'm playing a second time I do a lot of things differently. I did use the hints and tips section of ironworks to get me going.

Alira: spending skill points on skills increases the skill, but not immediately to a new level. When you hold your cursor on a skill when levelling up, you can see a text in the window below saying something lie "increasing sword skill to 66%". Next time you spend another skill point on sword, you probably will gain the next level. (Basically your sword skill will be 1.66, but the window says only it is 1.) When training at a guild the skill will always be advanced to the next level, so 2.00 in this case. But the price you pay is higher for going from 1.00 to 2.00 than from 1.66. Increasing skills to higher levels will be increasingly difficult (or expensive), as skill points will add fewer and fewer percentages.
carg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2000, 05:47 AM   #9
Nagash

Thanks for the explanation everyone

One more q....What is this guild level thingy?????? All my party members are members of their respective guilds, but even though all of them are lvl 2 / lvl 3, itz still written lvl 1 guild member....what is this guild member level and how do I increase it??

Sorry for troubling...but I am really new to this Wizardry series...Thank you
Old 12-29-2000, 12:59 AM   #10
Gauleiter

I think that upping your guild level may be even more important than upping your character level, since you can only gain those extremely fun traits at the upper (6 or 7) levels in the guilds.