Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 04-03-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Default Extracting the Wizard & Warriors soundtrack?

Hello...hello...hello

(Listens to the echoes of his voice in the surreal quietitude of the forum)..

After playing Dungeon Lords for awhile recently and being slightly miffed and disappointed at the sheer emptiness of the world and the absence of any noticable in-game music, I decided to try playing the game with winamp in the background loaded with some game soundtracks I thought would work well with the game's setting and atmosphere. So far I've been using:

- Wizardry 8
- Divine Divinity & Beyond Divinity
- U5 Lazarus (and other Ultima pieces)
- Bits from Morrowind

I logically thought of Wizards and Warriors but haven't been able to find an archive of the soundtrack online.

I guess my question goes out to the veterans who know this game extremely well: Is there a way I can extract the W&W soundtrack after installing it? Maybe I should reinstall it and see!

Cheers,
CD

P.S:
I seriously can't believe that a sequel for Dungeon Lords is being released this year! It really does seem like a step backwards from W&W and plays like a poor man's Gothic mixed with repetitious combat of Diablo and Dungeon Siege.

P.S.S:
After installing W&W again, it seems that there are eight tracks to be found in the main /music directory. Here they are:

Caution1
Game_New
Suspense_1
Suspense_2
Daytime_1
Eerie_1
Intense_1
Theme_1

I'm guessing this is all that there is - my memory is a little hazy since it has been so long since I've played the game. If there are others, I'd love to know how to grab them!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Last edited by CerebroDragon; 04-03-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: misappropriation of letters; additional info
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Default Re: Extracting the Wizard & Warriors soundtrack?

Hi!! Can't help you with the music bit, sorry!

I didn't realize that there was to be a sequel to Dungeon Lords. I never finished the first one. W&W was rushed to get it released but at least they released what was a fun and playable game. Dungeon Lords was rushed and I just never felt that they put together a game that held up as well as did W&W.

Hope someone will be able to answer your questions about the music!!

Thanks for posting!!

Wyv
Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Cool idea on improving the background music!

No suggestions for you on where it is or what to extract, unfortunately... but it sounds like you're there already!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion

Hello again, Wyvern and Bungleau.

My Dungeon Lords experience was quite the insane clickfestian nightmare, so I can understand if anyone were to leave it and not finish it. There really is a viciousness about the random encounters in that game - similar to Wizardry 8, I guess in that they always seem to drop in at nastiest of moments and overwhelm the player. Needless to say after my experience in Arindor in one of the elven castles, I turned the random encounter option down to low!

I did eventually beat it with my crusty old dwarven knight - but it had its seriously laborious moments and definitely wasn't as fun as W&W. I couldn't have done parts of it without referring at least once to the gamebanshee walkthrough! (Getting a moonstone for instance and a couple of the portal puzzles in one of the later dungeons.)

I also ended up trying both Icewind Dale game soundtracks, which worked very well during the more intense battles!

Here's the website for some more information about the proposed sequel - supposedly due to be released June 30, according to wikipedia! Should be very interesting as more information gets added.

http://www.theorbandtheoracle.com/

Dropping back to this forum always brings back such good memories...

Cheers,
CD
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats on making your way through!! You're a better dragon than I! LOL!!!

Very neat that you added in the Icewind Dale soundtracks! I never thought of doing such a thing but I can see where it would be rewarding to have more music and music of your own choice!

Thanks for the link too - I'm off to read all about it!

Wyv