Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Heyas everyone

This is a question about mod oddities. I have installed a few mods to spice up my gaming experience. I have played through Baldur's Gate 2 and Throne of Bhaal a number of times (approximately 6) and enjoy each time thoroughly. I always found something new and its was a good time playing it. I thought now, it might be time to juice up the excitement as I read an article in PCGamer about a few good BG2 mods. So I decided to try them out. From what I read, the new stuff looked great, and I couldn't wait to start playing.

Now here is where my oddities start. I noticed as I was playing through that, a fair few NPCs had their names changed to what looks to be 'dialogue'. The first encounter was the genie in Irenicus' dungeon. Then, when I got out all the town criers had; "Blood cries out for blood, but it is a small price to pay for immortality" as their name. When I finished the circus tent quest a little girl came up to me with a 'dialogue' name and talked to me. All my responses to her odd question seemed to be snippets of other dialogues. Other people include 4 new NPCs in the top of the Sea's Bounty, who weren't there before.

I wondered what I could do to fix it, or can I not? If I don't fix it, can I continue new quests? For instance, the little girl... Was she the start of a new quest? Because if so, I cant talk to her because all my options of things to say are other dialogue actions.

The mods I have installed are:

Unfinished Business
Valen
Keto
Banter Pack
G3 Anniversary
Ease of Use (but only the Multi Strongholds, Edwina Portrait and Bonus Merchants from that are installed)
Black Rose Part I: Market Prices
Baldurdash
Official Patch

I did have Solaufein installed but I uninstalled it, could that be a problem?

Thanks for the help my friends

--Kestrel--
Old 12-07-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
Riftmaker
Elminster

Sounds like you installed the mods in the wrong order, or you installed 2 non-Weidu mods.

Correct order is:

SoA
ToB
ToB patch
Baldurdash
Non-Weidu mod
All Weidu mods.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Actually that was just a list, it wasnt the order I installed them. The order was:

SoA
ToB
ToB Patch
Unfinished Buisness
Solaufein
Valen
Baldurdash
Banter Pack
(Uninstalled Solaufein)
Black Rose Part I: Market Prices
G3 Anniversary
Ease of Use
Keto
Old 12-07-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Would it all be fixed if I uninstalled all the mods then re-installed them?
Old 12-07-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Riftmaker
Elminster

Well there's the gimpness right there. You installed them in the wrong order.

No, it won't work. It's screwed up because the dialogue.tlk file has been indexed in a screwed up manner because the installation order was wrong.

You can try uninstalling ALL of the mods and re-installing them in the proper order. If that doesn't work, you're going to have to re-install BG2 from scratch (which is why you usually make a backup copy of a freshly patched and baldurdashed installation, and block-copy it if necesarry.)

Don't worry, everyone does this at least once.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:26 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Kestrel, the "odd man out" in your install order was BaldurDash. It's supposed to go after the official (BioWare) patches, and before any mods. All your mods appear to be WeiDU, so those can go in any order.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #7
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Thankyou all. I am most grateful for the assist.
One final question, on the Baldurdash website http://www.baldurdash.org/ToB/Fixes/TOBfixes.html the fixpack at the top, is that the only one I need to download? Are all the others included with this fixpack or do I have to download all those individually?

--Kestrel--
Old 12-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
andrewas
Harper

The fixpack includes all the fixes on the page, unless it says otherwise somewhere, which it didnt last I checked.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:33 PM   #9
Riftmaker
Elminster

ALL of the fixes are included in Baldurdash, just make sure you install the right one

It looks like you have it though.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:52 PM   #10
Kestrel Daystar
Elminster

Aye, in the end I just un-installed the whole of Baldur's Gate then re-installed it so it was completely and perfectly correct. I installed all the mods in the right order then went onto Shadowkeeper to look at all the NPCs and Creature on the lists. Not one of them had a 'dialogue' name.

Thankye ever so much, ye have been a blessing.

--Kestrel--