Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
bblaze
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yawning ICW not loading properly, can anyone help???

bought a new copy since my old one was too scratched up to load and the game plays and saves fine, but when i load it loads to the same place no matter what. any help about a tech number, patch, etc.?
bblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Default Re: ICW not loading properly, can anyone help???

What is the "same place" that it loads to?
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
bblaze
Elite Waterdeep Guard

edge of the very first town where you start, by where the boy was fishing, can't remember the name, sorry. if i play on and save, when i go to the saved version the later pic will be there (17 hours, orc cave, etc.), but it will just start at the edge the original town again anyway.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #4
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

You're probably running Vista. This is an issue that I've had as well.

It takes your first save, I believe, and, I don't know why, but keeps it. I saved in the tavern after creating my party, and whenever I loaded a game, it'd go there. I've asked at the Bioware forums, but nobody seemed to have known
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
bblaze
Elite Waterdeep Guard

yes i am running vista, hmm, well at least im not crazy and someone else has heard of it, sounds like the same problem
Old 02-18-2008, 09:14 AM   #6
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

When reloading does the game start the party out back at square one? IOW, does the party have 0 XP? Have any plot stages that were accomplished still accomplished?

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
bblaze
Elite Waterdeep Guard

the game starts back where it first autosaved the party, where the boy was fishing, before the first wolves and the first cave to find the lost supply caravan. even if i complete stages and it autosaves later, when i save it will have the picture of the later stage, but when i load game it will load right back at the first autosave. then it will replace the advanced auto save with the original one it is stuck on.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

As far as I know, quicksaves don't replace each other, adn neither do autosaves, in Icewind Dale. It says you quicksave... but only saves the information from teh first time you did it.
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM   #9
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

OK, I'm just guessing here, but here goes...

Vista saves my BG1 saves in the 'Documents' folder.

It appears that IWD doesn't "tag" where saves are stored, so when you try to reload a save, the game can't find it, and defaults to the game start.

Try this procedure..it's cumbersome, but may work.

1.Make sure you have a "Saves" folder in your IWD install.

2.Start up a game, play for 15 minutes or so, and save...give the save a distinctive name.

3.Do a search on the savegame name(DON'T use Indexing) and note where the game was saved. Check to see if the game was saved in the IWD Saves folder(it probably wasn't).

4.If the IWD Saves folder DOESN'T have a copy of the save, then do a copy/paste from the folder where you found the save.....to the IWD Saves folder.

5.Load up IWD again and see if you can restore that save, and that you actually show up where you saved.

6.If this procedure works, then you will have to do this procedure every time.

Hope this helps.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
ZFR
Legion Symbol

From what I've found IWD seems to work w/o problems on vista.

Are you fully patched? Maybe that'll simply solve the problem.

For patch info:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/...ad.php?t=98579