Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 08-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I dislike those p2p programs. I like Bittorent and Dc++ way better.

I download my betas from those. Like the Lineage 2 beta client. That was a 1 gig download ang I got it in a few hours.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:22 AM   #12
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Ares Galexy can be found here.

http://www.aresgalaxy.org/
Old 08-22-2004, 01:29 AM   #13
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I only used Bit Torrent, but I like it a lot. The only problem I had was finding good stuff to download. If you are considering Bit Torrent, try Azureus. It is a great Bit Torrent client which provides better control and functionality.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:55 AM   #14
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Okay, I'm trying Bittorrent and Azureus right now. They seem pretty good, with lots of sources, but to get a good speed you need to be a balanced uploader as well as downloader... pretty hard when you've just started out and have no files. Ah well, I'm sure it will pick up. I recommend this to you, Lavindathar, as Assassin, Luvian and Paladin2000 did.

ADD) Silly me, the system's better than that - you can upload parts of files as well, so there's no real slowdown.

[ 08-22-2004, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Jaradu ]
Old 08-22-2004, 05:16 AM   #15
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
Ah, BitTorrent question:

I think the reason the download is slow is because the port has a NAT problem. I've tried changing ports quite a few times, but I still get the NAT error. Anyone know how to fix it? I've tried disabling my firewall, but to no avail..
Old 08-22-2004, 06:40 AM   #16
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
[img]redface.gif[/img] File sharing discussion is allowed here on these boards?

Well, I'm up to bat and will say that Bittorrent is the best filesharing program there is right now. Use the Azureus client; it minimizes like Kazaa and usually has a far, far better download rate than Kazaa and the like. However, you must upload as you download.
We can talk about filesharing applications, as long as we use common sense in doing so. And I'd rather not know exactly what you're downloading or uploading - makes it easier and safer for everyone all round. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2004, 07:38 AM   #17
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

If there is a good seeder:leecher (uploader:downloader) ratio, and a couple of those seeders have a good connect, your download can zoom by at speeds in excess of 100 KiB/s. That's way, way better than Kazaa and the like. However, it does require a good uploader:downloader ratio, so it can be hard to download at high speed rare files. Another advantage to using the Azureus client is that you can choose *not* to download certain files within the big package, something that no other program to my knowledge allows you do to.

Don't forget to seed when you're done; help give others what they have given to you.

Firewall problem: I'm using ProtoWall and Norton's Auto-Protect at all times, and there hasn't been a problem yet. Which firewall are you using?

[ 08-22-2004, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 08-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #18
Jaradu
Silver Dragon

Bloody Pingu Champion
A Norton firewall. 2003, methinks.

Oh yeah, is there any way to "Find more sources" in Azureus?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #19
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

You can't. Bittorrent is unusual to the other programs as there is no way that I know to search for it using that program (ie: Kazaa has a built-in search function). However, there are entire sites dedicated to Bittorrent. Most of them will show the amount of seeders : leechers.

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~hamilton/btclientconfig.html . That's the site for people behind firewalls.

[ 08-22-2004, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Assassin ]
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:01 AM   #20
Lavindathar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Assassin:
[img]redface.gif[/img] File sharing discussion is allowed here on these boards?

Well, I'm up to bat and will say that Bittorrent is the best filesharing program there is right now. Use the Azureus client; it minimizes like Kazaa and usually has a far, far better download rate than Kazaa and the like. However, you must upload as you download.
We can talk about filesharing applications, as long as we use common sense in doing so. And I'd rather not know exactly what you're downloading or uploading - makes it easier and safer for everyone all round. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Especially with all the stuff I download lol. You'd go mad at me Memmy!

I'll try out that Bittorrent, next time I need something "for work".