Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 01:12 PM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

I have Symantec and periodically I clean out my internet cache, et. al. The only problem I am having is that when I go to delete cookies Symantec says that the safety sweep is on and thus I cannot proceed. I checked through the cookies list and there is nothing in there that I need. So how do I disable the safety sweep option AND how do I re-enable it once I cleaned out these cookies? Thanks!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:16 PM   #2
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I had to do this recently. It's under your level of protection in one of the options menus. Basically, you can set it to let you delete only the "greenlight" items or both "yellow light" and "green light" items.

My problem recently is with Antivirus. It keeps alerting me DAILY that I need to update my virus definitions. I'm not promiscuous at all with my home computer, and I really don't feel like paying their subscription. But, I can't figure out how to turn the f-ing thing off!!! [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img] Anyone out there able to provide help?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
WillowIX
Apophis

Are you using Norton TL? I take it your subscription has ended. When the box opens up you can choose from running liveupdate or being notifed again in 1 day. Check the second (notified again) then from the drop-down menu select 7 (or maybe you have to type it). Or you can simply go to Symantec´s site and download the updates manually. I don´t think you need any subscription for that... http://securityresponse.symantec.com....download.html
Old 01-03-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Thanks for the info WillowIX, but it won't let me download updates without subscribing. When I bought the f-ing program, I did not expect to be tied into a service plan - false advertising at its finest.

I have used Norton since the days before windows, and have remained true. They are soon losing a customer. If someone doesn't want to buy your crap, don't force it on them every day. It's like damned [img]graemlins/spam3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/1pissed.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2003, 10:16 AM   #5
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

I am not sure about other symantec product, but the stupid antivirus program is only valid for 12 months only. After that you would have to pay subscriptions of the program will not let you update the virus definitions (either manually or by live update).

I found out that the old Norton AV 2000 can be tricked by uninstalling and reinstalling it again. The stupid program will then allow you to update for another 12 months. But the latest NAV is a little bit tricky. The best way to do is to uninstall the program and then clean out the registries.

But if you also have other programs like NU and other stuff, the uninstallation trick will not work unless you uninstall the whole lot and it is a pain in the neck.

My advice is to scr*w these "extortionware" and get another program like MCcAfee or something.
Old 01-04-2003, 02:51 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

First, thanks Timber Loftis, because your advice worked. Second, Paladin2000, the reinstall will also work with Norton 2001. However, I did install a new harddrive and then installed my software. I guess Norton can't ID their customers by their e-mail address, only register files.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:13 PM   #7
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Albromor:
First, thanks Timber Loftis, because your advice worked. Second, Paladin2000, the reinstall will also work with Norton 2001. However, I did install a new harddrive and then installed my software. I guess Norton can't ID their customers by their e-mail address, only register files.
Yeah, I figure the trick would work on the some of the later versions but I only tested it on NAV 2k.