Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 03-29-2004, 09:41 PM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Why'd they change his proficiencies so much? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:20 PM   #2
Nerull
Lord Ao

To fit the new game better. No reason more than that.
[img]\"ubb/noncgi/smiles/new/ghoul.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />\"The middle class pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.<br />The lower class exists just to scare the middle class.\"<br />-George Carlin
Nerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #3
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Well, when I had him in BGI, his proficiencies were in:

Large Swords: **
Blunt Weapons: **

Or, in some cases:

Large Swords: **
Blunt Weapons: *
Axes: *

In BGII, they don't change by much. In BGI, the weapons system was different. More weapons fit into less categories than in BGII. Also, I'm assuming that they conducted a poll and the weapons Minsc used most was either Maces or Two-Handed Swords.

It also depends on how early you pick up Minsc in BGI. I usually pick him up late and hhis proficiencies are in Large Swords and Blunt Weapons.
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #4
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

When I picked up Minsc in BGI, these were his proficiencies:

Large Swords **
Spiked Weapons *
Axes *

In BGII, Minsc has:

Two Handed Swords **
Longbows **
Maces **
Two Weapon Style **

Where did he learn to use Maces and Bows? Why did he forget how to use an Axe and a Morningstar?
krunchyfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
Jerr Conner
Silver Dragon

Minsc is a Ranger, he's supposed to be able to use Bows.

As far as Maces, well everyone gets different Proficiencies with Minsc is my conclusion. I remember one time in BGII, Minsc had one star in Axes at the bgeinning .
<b>Founder of the NPC Defender Force</b>, <b>Affiliate of the Pro-Mazzy Society</b><br />\"I hate to admit it but you\'ve earned my respect.\"--Shar-Teel (Thanks for this Illumina Drathiran\'ar)<br /> [img]\"http://userpic.livejournal.com/14048184/35120\" alt=\" - \" />
Jerr Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

They changed Minsc for plot reasons alone, and shamelessly so. The "General Plot" in SoA involves a party including Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo->Imoen, and 2 other characters taking the Good path through Chapter 3. Since Minsc is the best Tank among those named, BioWare saw fit to make sure he was well prepared for the Good path--including changing his Racial Enemy from Gnoll to Vampire, and giving him the full 2 stars in a potent Anti-Undead weapon.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 PM   #7
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
'Course, people would be FURIOUS if they got a character with Gnolls as a racial enemy. It's justified, I suppose, with the 3rd edition rules of being able to choose more than one racial enemy as levels progress.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:04 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Well, he could have changed his racial enemy because whatever Dynaheir got killed by....
Old 03-31-2004, 01:10 AM   #9
Odruith
The Magister

I personally open up Minsc in Shadowkeeper.

Take a star out of maces and put it into longswords,

and then i give him ** in two handed weapon style. or * in two handed and * in sword and shield.

So that he can use Bows, Two-handed swords, then longswords or maces. And I don't actually add onto his stats, but just re-organise them to better suit the end of BGI/my needs at the outset of BGII
Odruith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:36 AM   #10
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

Odruith, maybe I should break down and download Shadowkeeper then. I wouldn't be so frustrated with these changes.

If I change around Minsc's proficiencies, is there any chance of me screwing up the game?