Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 12:24 PM   #1
how786
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I'm wondering just what if anything better occurs when you increase the power of spells like BLESS, Armorplate, Insanity etc.

Thanks!
Howie
how786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 12:59 PM   #2
Rezdude03
Manshoon

the only thing i know of is that it increases the duration of the spell. it does not increase the power (that i know of).
\"We three, though born on different days, swear an oath of brotherhood\"<br />\"And vow to die the same year, same month and the very same day\"<br />\"Come, my Brothers\' destiny awaits!\"<br />-Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Liu Bei/ Dynasty Warriors 4
Rezdude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 PM   #3
Ziggurat
Symbol of Cyric

Some spells become more succesful if cast at higher levels. Insanity is a good example: the higher you cast it the more the critters will succumb to it (based on overcoming their resistances). Some, like Light, will affect a larger area. I don't think Bless does more than last longer, tho. Armorplate increases your protection level (AC) more at high power, etc.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 PM   #4
sultan

it is different for different protection spells. in the case of armourplate, yes, it does get better the higher level you cast it (check out your AC bonus in the inventory window).

for missile shield, there is anecdotal evidence (ie many people have witnessed it, though no one's put it to a scientific test ) that it gets better at higher power levels.

dunno about enchant blade, but i wouldnt be surprised if it's like missile shield (ie does get better but does not show up in your stats)

all of the magic shields (magic screen, element shield, soul shield) offer more protection at higher levels.

bless, on the other hand, does not appear to get better at higher levels, it just lasts longer.

as for attacking spells, like insanity, they do appear to get better in as much as they will cut through resistances better at higher power levels. but, again, that would be based on anecdotal evidence, not any scientific testing.

there was a thread on this a while back, perhaps a search through the IW search engine might turn up something?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
how786
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks for all your help! Great info/advice!!
I'm kinda amazed that I never got into this game before.
After playing for 5-6 hours, I am enjoying it immensely...much more than some of the better known RPGs that I've played.
I wonder why the game did not sell more or get more recommendations....?

Thanks again,
Howard
how786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
sultan

how - there's been some speculation on that in other threads, particularly as the market success (or lack thereof) of the product will have a direct effect on whether or not we get any expansion packs, or a wiz 9 for that matter.

if i remember correctly, the consensus seemed to be that, because wiz 8 was released early and only partially finished when the budget ran out, sir-tech simply couldnt support it in the press. as such, it's taken a long time for word of mouth to filter around.

regardless, it's good to hear another person has discovered this little gem. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 03:33 PM   #7
DraconFighter
Dungeon Master

If you click on the name of the spell, you can read the description. The words in the description to look for are: "Power level increases the duration of the spell but has no impact on its effectiveness."
DraconFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 04:48 PM   #8
sultan

excellent tip, dracon fighter. and welcome to IW.

[img]graemlins/question.gif[/img] are you the same dracon fighter from the VN boards?
Old 10-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #9
DraconFighter
Dungeon Master

Yes, the same DraconFighter as on the VN board. I thought it great I was able to get the same name.

I'm new to Wiz 8. My daughter found it in a store for $20 this past August and asked me to buy it for her. Now I'm the one who is hooked. My first RPG and a great one.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:19 AM   #10
sultan

good! another victim, like the rest of us [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

dont worry, in a few years you'll come up for air and play some cards before going back to try just one more party... addictions are fun [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]