Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Default Firewalls- recommendations?

What are you using and do you like it? If so why and if not, why not?

I'm @!%$#$#!$!$##! ahem.. irritated. The company that made my BlackIce program was bought out by IBM, apparently, and now it is being phased out- no more BlackIce.
I really liked that firewall and had the least amount of trouble with it over the years.

Hubby is going to blank my system and re-install windows (and replace my old OLD OLD 20 gig hd with a 320- and yes, I do currently have another larger hd than that 20g in my pc) and that means reinstalling my firewall but it's been a few years since I got it and they aren't supporting it after this year so I think I want to go with a new one. Hubby's got ZoneAlarm and likes it... I've never been fond of it but may end up trying it.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:51 AM   #2
Unglaublich Verwustung
Silver Dragon

Default Re: Firewalls- recommendations?

I used ZoneAlarm for a while (2 years or so) but it irritated the hell out of me. I now use AVG, which is much easier to get on with.

Make a decision, even if it's wrong, and remember....

...it's never too early for a salad.
Unglaublich Verwustung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

I use the almighty Comodo firewall. The recently released 3.0 version has a buttload of options for both network protection and anti-malware thingies (it checks programs for what they access in your pc). It might be a pain to start up because you have to set up your programs for access, but after you have done this, it rarely ask for something about those. In my experience it's way better than ZoneAlarm pro because the latter decided to block some programs without letting me know.

Comodo is free by the way.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Huwge
Dungeon Master

I am using Comodo. The kids machine has OnlineArmor.

For PC security I recommend this forum which has a section for Firewalls

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php
Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
dplax
Jack Burton

I've been using Sygate Personal Firewall for a couple years now...though they have been bought by Symantec and no longer exist and don't offer any updates either, but the firewall is quite nice for my needs.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

I'm actually just using Windows Firewall, but I don't expect to have any problems...

I have my router set up to deny any unprompted incoming data...and it also has a subnet mask, so not only will it block the door for spyware, but it also won't tell anyone which door inside leads to the club

Besides that, I use avg free anti-virus, and Threatfire (my fave new anti-spyware tool, cf www.threatfire.com )

While Threatfire has caught one instance of spyware trying to replicate itself on my hard drive, I'm not really very worried about my PC's security at all at the moment...

I actually only turned Windows Firewall on recently, because it used to annoy the heck out of me, having to allow every program access to the internet.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

This will do the trick!

Wall of Fire

(Conjuration/Summoning)

Sphere: Elemental (Fire)
Range: 80 yds. Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special Casting Time: 8
Area of Effect: Special Saving Throw: None
The wall of fire spell brings forth an immobile, blazing curtain of magical fire of shimmering color--yellow-green or amber (different from the 4th-level wizard version). The spell creates an opaque sheet of flame up to one 20-foot square per level of the spellcaster, or a ring with a radius of up to 10 feet + 5 feet for every two levels of experience of the wizard, and 20 feet high.
The wall of fire must be cast so that it is vertical with respect to the caster. One side of the wall, selected by the caster, sends forth waves of heat, inflicting 2d4 points of damage upon creatures within 10 feet and 1d4 points of damage upon those within 20 feet. In addition, the wall inflicts 4d4 points of damage, plus 1 point of damage per level of the spellcaster, to any creature passing through it. Creatures especially subject to fire may take additional damage, and undead always take twice normal damage. Note that attempting to directly catch moving creatures with a newly created wall of fire is difficult. A successful saving throw enables the creature to avoid the wall, while its rate and direction of movement determine which side of the created wall it is on. The wall of fire lasts as long as the priest concentrates on maintaining it, or one round per level of experience of the priest in the event he does not wish to concentrate upon it.

The material component of the spell is phosphorus.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I just use avast's network shield

www.avast.com
Old 01-16-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

I've got Comodo. It actually works, which makes a change from the other Firewalls I have had over the years.

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Don't listen to them;
Just call your local 9th level Cleric and he'll fix you up!