Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 09-02-2001, 06:05 AM   #21
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
lol its true! Hey guys!
i was scared.
Hey try telling me that when the pack is staring me down!
Ive had nearly hundreds of bear encounters...so i know the sitch when dealing with the unknown wildlife. Im in there territory and like most all animals they are curious. But i was still scared...
and i do count that encounter as well all my wildlife encounters as some of the more interesting of my experiences...

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 09-02-2001).]
I know what you mean, Djinn! I adore tigers, specially the White Tiger, and all the big cats, but if I met one in the wild I would be scared spitless, no matter HOW full up with dinner it was!

------------------

Old 09-02-2001, 10:41 AM   #22
Moni

Quote:
lol its true! Hey guys!
i was scared.
Hey try telling me that when the pack is staring me down!
Ive had nearly hundreds of bear encounters...so i know the sitch when dealing with the unknown wildlife. Im in there territory and like most all animals they are curious. But i was still scared...
and i do count that encounter as well all my wildlife encounters as some of the more interesting of my experiences...

Oh I would have been scared too! Fascinated & frightened at the same time...its a rush of a feeling isn't it?! I think I would have stayed and watched them unless or until they split up. They'll surround their prey before they attack it.

I drove my El Camino out into a piece of the Arizona desert just east of Tucson one night and sat out on my tailgate eating a Phillie cheesesteak sandwich & fries, watching the stars and the distant lights of the city, just enjoying myself and the peace I sought away from the city.
There was no moon and the desert around me was enveloped in pitch black darkness.
When I was about half finished with my sandwich, I heard a noise not too far away, in front of me and a little to my right. Some scuffling followed by a short growl, followed by the scream of a rabbit being caught and killed for dinner by a coyote.
Immediately the desert all around me filled with the sound of the whole pack closing in on the kill, yipping, howling, and growling. They were so close I could hear the rabbit's bones crunch but I could not see a thing in the darkness. It was fascinating to hear though! The elders of the pack getting their share while the younger coyotes cried for their turn to hurry and get there.
I heard the youngsters move in and fight over scraps and it was then that I realized I was still sitting there with half a Phillie cheesesteak in my hand and not only did they have the fresh taste of blood in their mouths, but also that they could see me but I could not see them!
I threw the remainder of the sandwich and fries in the direction that the sounds had come from and hurried to get back into my El Camino!
I knew that there were coyotes in that area, I had seen them plenty of times during daylight hours just across the road from where I had pulled off to drive into and park in this particular piece of desert.
I had to laugh at myself since it was probably my sandwich that attracted them and I wondered how long they had sat there watching me eat before my guardian angel brought them a rabbit...not just to give them something to eat (they sounded like they were starving) but also to alert me to their presence and that for me to sit out there and tempt them with cheesesteak when I couldn't even see them was pretty stupid.
I went back to that area many times but never again did I carry anything more than a soda with me and I also got into the habit of sitting up in the bed rather than with my legs dangling over the tailgate.
You never know when you can't see them whether or not you are being surrounded and stalked as prey.

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

Old 09-02-2001, 11:46 AM   #23
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Hehe! Walk with your brother Yorick! HOOOOWL

He! I have always like dogs and wolves, espacially wolves though. Something in their eyes and something about that aura makes you want to howl with them. They are like a call from distant times, when man and wolf hunted together.

I have been thinking of maybe take a tour to the yellowstone park and to see if one can get a tour into the parts where there are two or three wolfpacks living now. Wolves are shy creatures now aday so you have to have time on your side. Soon I can go up north in Sweden as the wolves are spreading here finally!

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..I´m hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 09-02-2001, 08:42 PM   #24
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

ARUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Fish?
Welcome to your doom!!!
Official villain/demon of IW!

Old 09-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #25
Djinn Raffo
Ra

lol Phillie cheese steak!!!!
El Camino!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I love El Camino's...so cool!
Thats an awesome story! I really want to go to Arizona! The desert there sounds so cool to me. Coyotes can be pretty ravenous.

One time while i was planting i had a black bear get into my backpack and steal my lunch. I got back to where my pack was after a bag up of trees and my bag and tupperware was strewn about all over the logging road...my water jug was punctured too! Looked up and there he was...big bad bear! He followed me around all day as i worked.
I been followed by them lots of times...one time a bunch of us were out there being threatened by a black bear and this numbskull we were with wanted to throw the helicopters sling (a big net the chopper carries beneath it) over the bear so it wouldnt get us!!!!!! I was just like...ok you idiot...let it smell us its not going to mess with us. Let it do its thing and thats that...
That time we had had to radio in the helicopter to come in and scare it away...but the pilot was busy so we were stranded with this bear twenty feet away...not leaving and looking like its getting antzy.
Of course i know that i shouldnt have been there in the first place but i was...and so...
Anyways made it out that time. In my experiences for clever animals being annoying...the worst was ravens. They could get into bags that had closed zippers, open tupperwares, start cars and order out!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 09-03-2001, 01:50 AM   #26
Moni

Quote:
lol Phillie cheese steak!!!!
El Camino!!!!!!!!!!!!1
I love El Camino's...so cool!
Thats an awesome story! I really want to go to Arizona! The desert there sounds so cool to me. Coyotes can be pretty ravenous.

One time while i was planting i had a black bear get into my backpack and steal my lunch. I got back to where my pack was after a bag up of trees and my bag and tupperware was strewn about all over the logging road...my water jug was punctured too! Looked up and there he was...big bad bear! He followed me around all day as i worked.
I been followed by them lots of times...one time a bunch of us were out there being threatened by a black bear and this numbskull we were with wanted to throw the helicopters sling (a big net the chopper carries beneath it) over the bear so it wouldnt get us!!!!!! I was just like...ok you idiot...let it smell us its not going to mess with us. Let it do its thing and thats that...
That time we had had to radio in the helicopter to come in and scare it away...but the pilot was busy so we were stranded with this bear twenty feet away...not leaving and looking like its getting antzy.
Of course i know that i shouldnt have been there in the first place but i was...and so...
Anyways made it out that time. In my experiences for clever animals being annoying...the worst was ravens. They could get into bags that had closed zippers, open tupperwares, start cars and order out!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Heh heh heh heh heh heh heh
Cheesesteaks rock huh?!
El caminos too. If it interests you to know, it had a 1976 Chevelle 350 under the hood that I had bored out 30 over, a Holley 4-barrel carb and a 350-turbo automatic trannie. Good thing it was a half ton pick up or it could have taken flight.
I helped rebuild it from the ground up after paying a thousand dollars for it.
My (expert) mechanic was also a friend so I got it done for nearly the cost of the parts (at cost too) alone.
It cost me the rebuild kit, a beer and a chimichanga to get the carb rebuilt.
A fun truck, I sold it after owning and maintaining it for five years to cover expenses when my son broke his leg and had to have surgery to set his ankle. I had the option to buy it back when I found my son's father and got his military insurance restored but by the time that happened (nine days later) the guy who had bought it from me (for 800.00) had knocked a '59 Thunderbird off it's rear axle with it and was in debt to the tune of ten grand for his accident because he had failed to get insurance on it and my policy didn't cover him since we had transferred the title. A big "whew" for me and my insurance rates but he refused to sell me the El Camino back and got a grand out of the engine alone I still miss my baby LOL.

You have some guts running around out in the wilderness with bears dude!
I may have an affinity with animals but a bear is most definitely going to smell some "to the core" fear from me! No thank you! Did you ever get any pictures of them?
I am glad you made it out to come tell us your stories! They are just awesome.
Ravens LOL, I had no idea!

I have only been literally stalked (& totally creeped out!) by single crows that followed me during certain times in my life when someone I'd known had died.
Definitely spooky because they would perch on top of the wires right outside my door, be at the bank, looking down at me from the overhang above the door when I went to get money, and then be perched on top of the front of the store as I went in, and again, staring down at me from the wires when I got home!
One of them even followed me on a motorcycle ride to New Mexico once!

------------------

You know childhood is over when a puddle seems like an obstacle instead of an opportunity.

Is Too! Is Not! Is Too! Is Not!

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 09-03-2001).]