Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #11
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Steam?

The way that NWN 2's expansion was to be set up, it would require a 1 time validation, and you'd be allowed to make your physical backup of the game. To me, it's win/win. I get my backup, just in case, and I get rid of the rootkit that is SecuROM.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 PM   #12
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

How would that work? Would you have to validate when you install? Then you're still held hostage. What if you move in an area where there is no net connection available or what if they just close up? You wouldn't be able to reinstall anymore if something happen or you upgrade computer. If you buy something it's yours no strings attached.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #13
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I guess they are doing this because the securerom protection they usually use isn't working. I'm not overly keen on the idea either personally, I can deal with invasive copy protection but for the reasons listed above (connecting and validation constantly) it just seems more hassle than pleasure.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #14
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

When has copy protection ever stopped piracy anyway? It's always been trouble for the legit players, not the pirates. The pirates don't have to validate they just play, again it's the legit players that are inconvenienced.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It's the big move. Instead of pursuing, and prosecuting Pirates, it's cheaper, and easier to punish the paying customers. It's pretty sad that a non SecuROM exe runs an average of 20 FPS faster. I couldn't find the link, but a dev tested it out at OEI, and posted the results. I could see how it happens though, since the CP runs at random times during game operation.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 AM   #16
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
I hate any system that ask me to connect to the net, or does not give me the game ready to play on a permanent media. If I buy something, it's mine. I don't want to have to ask permission to play it, and I certainly want to have a copy of it handy in case I need it.

What happen if a company that require a net connection close up, You lose your purchase forever? Or what if you decide you won't want the internet anymore? Any purchase that has strings attached to it is not really yours, and that piss me off.
Firstly, valve have a very strong business model and don't seem any more likely than say, EA, to dissappear overnight. Secondly, they have promised to release a no-steam patch for all Steam protected titles if the steam network did go down.

And thirdly, Id far rather put up with Steam than with StarForce, or secuROM, or any of the other protection systems which have caused me far more problems. The worst that Steam has done to me was to go down for a day or so, and they fixed the problems that lead to the january '05 problems. I've never had to warez a game I bought over Steam to be able to play it, which I cant say for any other major protection.
andrewas is offline   Reply With Quote