Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

View Poll Results: Will you donate your organs when you die?
Yes 25 73.53%
No 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2003, 10:01 PM   #11
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Hmm, It would not allow me to answer number 2. None of the listed pertains to me and there is not an option to reflect that.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:32 AM   #12
pcgiant
Symbol of Cyric

Question Mark

I didn't vote on the poll, but I just wanted to make this comment, and I'd like to hear anyone's opinions on it. Someone once told me that organ donors are much less likely to put effort into reviving you/operating on you if you're unwell, simply so they have more organs. Does anyone have any comments on this? I very much doubt the validity of it, but who knows?
Old 10-31-2003, 08:07 AM   #13
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny:
Well, i doubt my liver will be of much use once i'm gone, but hey.... if you want it, take it.
LMAO Johnny !!

At least it will be preserved [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-31-2003, 08:24 AM   #14
Donut
Jack Burton

I carry a donor card at all times.

As for live donation I have explained to Lanesra that he will be allowed 1 kidney and some bone marrow!
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 10-31-2003, 08:34 AM   #15
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

I would like to be a donor, but I'm too young(I'm 17). There is a blood donor action in my school every six months or so, and once I reach the age of consent, I'll join in. Free meals, remember?
Old 10-31-2003, 09:10 AM   #16
wellard
Dracolisk

Arrow

Years back when; I put myself on the bone marrow donor’s list as well as giving blood at least 4 times a year. But about 4 years ago right in the height of the mad cow diseases the red cross who organize the donations in Australia banned all ex pommys (British) and people who had visited there from donating blood. To say I was outraged is an understatement. They are so scared of people with possible "mad cow" infection that they have stopped about 20% of this nation giving blood, a stupid idea.

I always looked upon it as a duty to give blood

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-31-2003, 09:57 AM   #17
cloud ff7 38
User suspended until [Nov26]

Im too young for it but ill give organs when i die besides i dont need em then.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:50 AM   #18
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I don't give blood because I'm afraid of needles. If a nurse wants to take blood from me I always warn her to get help. Weird fear, but at least I've only one big one.

As for my parts when I'm dead, please burn me. No, don't take anything. It's not that I don't feel sorry for those who need them -- nor will I have any use for them. However, medicine's simply gotten too good, and we still reproduce like bunnies, so I shall harden my heart against individual beneficiaries so that I can avoid contributing to the larger problem of overpopulation. Believe me, I'd rather be an organ donor, but there are simply too many of us, and I can't justify it to myself.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:40 AM   #19
WillowIX
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by pcgiant:
I didn't vote on the poll, but I just wanted to make this comment, and I'd like to hear anyone's opinions on it. Someone once told me that organ donors are much less likely to put effort into reviving you/operating on you if you're unwell, simply so they have more organs. Does anyone have any comments on this? I very much doubt the validity of it, but who knows?
Not true! Not in any country I have ever heard of! Doing so would mean you break every ethical rule in medicine, and trust me there are plenty of them. Doctors do not chose who they treat, and will never get the chance to do so. You could however be told you are not allowed to operate on an individual for personal reasons.

Now, if you are a poor citizen in a poor country this probably could happen. But the organs wouldn't go to a transplant, instead they would be sold on the black market. But those cases are rare and a lot of resources are used to track down every organ smuggler!

Timber, that's a rather dubious reason not to donate. [img]tongue.gif[/img] I would have respected a simple no more than that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Aelia, I don't support Spain's opt-out system, Why? Because there are many religious or other personal beliefs that contradicts organ donation. And many people don't know that you need to "unsubscribe" for such a list. But I agree that more information is necessary although I wouldn't like the government provide it. Words like "police state", "intrusion of privacy" and other silly things usually is heard in such cases. Better the governments tell the medical foundations to get out of their comfy chairs and earn their salaries.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:50 AM   #20
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Ah, but Willow, a "no" would make it seem like I am uncaring and callous and don't want to donate organs. I do. Philosophical reasons keep me from doing so.