Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2001, 02:04 PM   #11
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Desuma_Malevois:
Sir Kenyth, let me ask you a question, and I don't mean any insult by it - do you read much now? Children will most often follow the examples that their parents set, and if your child doesn't see you enjoying reading, then it may hold no appeal for him.

My daughter Katie is 5 years old. She is in a class of mixed kindergarten/first graders. She is the only one who can read in the class - in fact she reads at a second grade level at least. She also comprehends what she reads. My wife and I never pushed her into reading but she enjoys it greatly. I attribute her skill and enjoyment to two things. First, she doesn't watch hours of television. Second, her parents both LOVE to read and she sees us reading often.

Again, I mean no insult by my question but I felt I had to ask since you hadn't stated your own reading frequency. At any rate,, I wish you success with your son.

Mike

Oh, yeah! I like reading a lot. I'm on my second time through the Robet Jordan WOT series right now. That's why losing cable doesn't hurt me much. I like to read right before going to bed.

------------------
Member of ORT
Master Barbsman and weilder of the razor wit!
Official royal toad! Ribbit! Ribbet I say!

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-23-2001, 02:05 PM   #12
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
ok - you just proved to me that I am, by far, the oddest person in existence!

I agree with you that, as a child sees, a child will often do. And taking the time to read yourself, as well as with your child, will encourage interest for the child.

However, I'm odd - growing up, my parents worked so much that I NEVER saw them pick up a book. My father is not fond of reading, he can't seem to sit still long enough to read, plus he has poor eyesight. My mom just never has the time, it seems. Yet they encouraged ME to do so, bought me books, encyclopedias, etc. When punished and sent to my room - you never heard me complain. A couple hours later, my mom would come in to check on me and there I'd be with a dozen encyclopedias AND a dictionary open, tracking down information on my latest interests. And when I got Battlefield Earth at about 12 years old, I read it in ONE day...all 1000+ pages of it. Just goes to show how encouragement is a big part of it. But participation is better. I'm just fortunate that I liked reading so much.

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-23-2001).]
Actually, DM, you're not so odd. My dad was always out of town on business trips, and I really don't recall my mother reading much. What first got me hooked on reading was comic books! The ones from the sixties were great; not only were they interesting, but a lot of them were just chock full of odd little facts that I seemed to just soak up. In school, I always seemed to have my nose stuck in a book. As I got older, I would often sneak a flashlight into bed so I could read past my bedtime. The only point I was trying to make is that my child's reading abilities far exceed my own at that age, and I think it's mainly due to the example that her parents have set.

------------------
Guerilla gourmet, and former proprieter of the KFA.

Old 10-23-2001, 02:09 PM   #13
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Actually, DM, you're not so odd. My dad was always out of town on business trips, and I really don't recall my mother reading much. What first got me hooked on reading was comic books! The ones from the sixties were great; not only were they interesting, but a lot of them were just chock full of odd little facts that I seemed to just soak up. In school, I always seemed to have my nose stuck in a book. As I got older, I would often sneak a flashlight into bed so I could read past my bedtime. The only point I was trying to make is that my child's reading abilities far exceed my own at that age, and I think it's mainly due to the example that her parents have set.
OH! I'm so relieved. I really thought I was an odd duck - well, I am, but for different reasons, maybe. I did the same thing with the flashlight!

And I hope I didn't belittle your point. I was actually attempting to support it. Just had to throw in my little 'oddity' with it.
Old 10-23-2001, 02:11 PM   #14
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by DragonMage:
ok - you just proved to me that I am, by far, the oddest person in existence! I've suspected this for quite some time, now I KNOW it.

I agree with you that, as a child sees, a child will often do. And taking the time to read yourself, as well as with your child, will encourage interest for the child.

However, I'm odd - growing up, my parents worked so much that I NEVER saw them pick up a book. My father is not fond of reading, he can't seem to sit still long enough to read, plus he has poor eyesight. My mom just never has the time, it seems. Yet they encouraged ME to do so, bought me books, encyclopedias, etc. When punished and sent to my room - you never heard me complain. A couple hours later, my mom would come in to check on me and there I'd be with a dozen encyclopedias AND a dictionary open, tracking down information on my latest interests. And when I got Battlefield Earth at about 12 years old, I read it in ONE day...all 1000+ pages of it. Just goes to show how encouragement is a big part of it. But participation is better. I'm just fortunate that I liked reading so much. ).]

You're not odd at all DM! My father NEVER reads, except for the newspaper, my mother reads, but I rarely see her, I've got no siblings which read, my grandparents don't read much, my classmates don't read much, I'm just the odd one, I've spent much more time reading than most other things in my life and I have no idea WHY, since there's really no way anyone from my family could have influenced me.
Old 10-23-2001, 02:14 PM   #15
Desuma_Malevois

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Oh, yeah! I like reading a lot. I'm on my second time through the Robet Jordan WOT series right now. That's why losing cable doesn't hurt me much. I like to read right before going to bed.

OK, then have you tried reading with him (how old is he, BTW)? Find something he would enjoy reading - comics are a possibility, but make sure you screen them first as many may be inappropriate and/or of near mindless content.

------------------
Guerilla gourmet, and former proprieter of the KFA.

Old 10-23-2001, 02:22 PM   #16
DiabloRex
Elminster

Out of curiosity, how old is your son?

DM already suggested word puzzles also Desuma_Malevois have a good point about the child seeing what its parents do.

There are easy to read books, that might help your son reading (they helped me) Dont you pick the books though, as someone else said here already. Your son might see whatever you choice as not good. If your sons school have a library you can ask his teacher to find him one of those easy to read books, or just tell the teacher to direct him to that particular section of the library and let him choice a book himself.

Dont let him read by himself, but sit next to him, helping him reading

Due to a disease I had as a child (stupid epilipsi) I was quite far behind in school, not just reading but about it all. Thanks to some of the aforementioned easy to read books, and special lessons. I got good after it

As for your sons eye problem. I dont know about it (havnt heard about it) I suggest that you see a doctor about it.

Keep in mind that I dont have any kids, but am talking from my own experience
Old 10-23-2001, 02:40 PM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
OK, then have you tried reading with him (how old is he, BTW)? Find something he would enjoy reading - comics are a possibility, but make sure you screen them first as many may be inappropriate and/or of near mindless content.

You probably missed the fact that I usually only see him on the weekends. I was reading Harry Potter to him. He took the book home with him to his mothers where it was promptly lost. She also has cable and encourages TV watching while she does work at home. You can't fault her too much. If she didn't give the extra effort she would become prey to the rest of the office pirahna. The job is well paying and she truly lucked out at getting it with no college and middling experience. she intends to keep it fighting tooth and nail, and in todays job market around here, I can't blame her. That's why I'd like to have him more often. Maybe a week on-week off thing. At least until his schoolwork improves. I'll have to get certification training here pretty soon and my time will be very limited.

------------------
Member of ORT

The true secret to happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!
Old 10-23-2001, 02:43 PM   #18
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hm... I can't really help here, as I only have my own experience and I was an avid reader, teaching myself to read (both English and German) only a few months after learning English - I was about 5 or 6 years old. I suppose that one of the important things is - do not force him to read, you could put him off reading for life! Encourage him to read and discourage his watching TV, but make sure that reading is fun and not an onerous chore...

------------------

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Magess of Lady Lioness' Court
Saint of the SoS
Historian of IW
Most Illustrious Arch-Magess of the Illuminati
Lux omnis est
Once Upon A Paper Writer's Forum
Old 10-23-2001, 03:03 PM   #19
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by DiabloRex:
Out of curiosity, how old is your son?

As for your sons eye problem. I dont know about it (havnt heard about it) I suggest that you see a doctor about it.

Keep in mind that I dont have any kids, but am talking from my own experience
It's not really a disease or disorder per say. It's more of a pinpointed reason at why some children have a harder time picking up on reading than others. A learning difficulty. It's a problem that is always learned out of eventually, but it takes effort. Some optomitrists have developed exercises and regimens that are supposed to help, but none of it is proven. Most of us don't remember things like learning how to use our eyes and hands. Most of this physical coordination is learned through trial and error. What works and what doesn't. Some children teach themselves to use their eyes in a way that makes it difficult to read. Reading uses a constant focus and position at a short distance. Until they break the habit of letting their eyes roam or lose focus at a set distance, they will have trouble reading. Practice is really the only cure.

Some indicators of problems like these are:

Having to use excess concentration to read.
Constantly using a finger to keep ones place.
Difficulty reading from objects that are moving.
Difficulty throwing and catching a ball (spatial perception).
Poor hand-eye coordination.
Reading with only one eye.

I can't remember all of it. It was interesting though. I would have never though about a small lack of physical coordination leading to reading problems.

------------------
Member of ORT

Old 10-23-2001, 03:16 PM   #20
Cerise
Dungeon Master

Hmm my daughter is 4 and not readying properly yet.. but she is learning and has always been facinated by books knowing many by rote. At her request I got her a leap pad which is a kind computerised reading aid .. you point a pencil shaped thing (technical term there I think) at the book and it reads it to you, so if you get stuck on a word it helps. Or it can read the whole book to you, but you have to turn pages etc.

We read together a lot, but this toy really excites her...

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
Does anyone have a similar problem? My son is very far behind in reading and spelling. I attribute this to two things. The first was just recently noticed. I think he may have had an eye problem. I noticed that he couldn't read the numbers off of passing speed limit and highway signs while the car was moving. When stopped he could read them though. I read that some children have problem keeping their eyes focused on a single point. This is not a physiological difficulty, but a learned one. It is a product of how the child learns to focus on things early in life (baby, toddler). It makes reading and keeping ones place on the page difficult. Since he constantly used his finger to keep his place while reading, I think this was the case. The child avoids doing the difficult task and this makes development even worse. He was cured of this during a summer class where he received a lot of one on one attention. Unfortunately, he is now way behind. This is where the second problem comes in. 24 hour a day cartoons! I've discontinued getting cable. I'm going to start a reading regimen. I'll have him read a portion of a fun book and afterward tell me what it was about. I think this exercise will greatly improve his reading and comprehension. I'm not sure about spelling though. Should I first concentrate on his reading skill and then worry about spelling? I don't know quite how to handle this. I was reading at a high school level by his age. I'm worried because reading is the foundation of learning. Poor readers learn poorly. At the same time I want him to get enough exercise to stay healthy. Keeping him inside to study could be counter productive.