Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Light Bulb

Geez, games are resembling real life more and more every day, aren't they. Check this out.

Electronic Arts announced the release date for its much anticipated followed up to The Sims, despite a recent move by the Bush Administration and Christian groups to block the game from store shelves.

The Sims 2, which is scheduled to hit stores this summer, is drawing harsh criticism for its realistic depiction of sex and adulthood themes like abortion, gambling, sexual disease, and drug use.

The sequel to the best-selling PC game of all time lets you create and control your own virtual people and influence the outcome of their lives. It contains all of the features and challenges of the original Sims, but with better artificial intelligence and more mature subject matter.

The latter is drawing the ire of US Attorney General John Ashcroft, who labeled the upcoming game “obscene by anyone’s standards,” in a speech to the Christian Coalition of America on Thursday.

From infancy to childhood, and from teenage life to adulthood, you can guide your virtual character through any of the following situations:

Two virtual characters can have sex (in any number of positions). You can even have sex with multiple partners.
If you choose not to wear a condom, you can produce a baby that looks like you and your virtual partner. If you decide that you don’t want the baby, you can give it up for adoption. The Sims virtual world also has any number of abortion clinics to choose from if you decide that an abortion is best for you and your partner.

If your character has sex with multiple partners, you can run the risk of getting STDs like herpes, gonorrhea, and HIV. The Sims virtual world will contain support groups for full-blown AIDs patients.
If a drug dealer approaches your character you can purchase drugs. You can even choose to smoke (or shoot) the drugs alone or with the dealer in a back alley or crack house.

If your character quits smoking, it may develop physical side effects like shaking and sweating. You can counter these effects and make your character “happy” by picking up another habit like gambling, drinking and, ironically, video gaming.

In his speech Thursday, Ashcroft blamed an “immoral and money hungry” video game industry for trying corrupt teenagers with graphic depictions of sex and violence. He also went on to blame parents for not keeping a proper eye on their children.

“This administration will do everything it can to make sure this garbage does not get into the hands of our children,” said Ashcroft. “And we won’t stop until the last drop of immorality is drained from our movies, our music, our television, our radios, and yes, even our video games.”

Source: http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumo...ms_xrated.html

Comments?

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Oblivion437
Baaz Draconian

If there is a Mrs. Ashcroft, they're likely sleeping in seperate beds...
Old 05-16-2004, 05:19 PM   #3
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
If this is an official speech, I'm sitting here wondering why there isn't an entire transcript of it... I've Googled some phrasings and haven't been able to find much. Could this be a hoax? I have a lovely rant prepared if it's true...

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Heheh... gotta have that one. I'll create a raging, cokesnorting alcoholic, who robs old ladies' purses to get his buzz. This is gonna be cool.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:30 PM   #5
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Liquidgeneration people.. liquidgeneration..
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:32 PM   #6
DBear
Drow Warrior

I can't think of a more boring premise for a game.

[img]graemlins/yawn.gif[/img] :sleepy: :zzz:
Old 05-17-2004, 12:53 AM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

[img]graemlins/erm.gif[/img] A video game designed to let you role-play, of all things, real life. [img]graemlins/saywhat.gif[/img] I suppose art does imitate life some of the time....

Rumor or not, this could actually be a useful tool for more effective parenting. Buy the game for your children so they may safely and quickly see the potentially dreadful consequences to poor choices. [img]graemlins/beigesmilewinkgrin.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:13 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Hmmm...maybe Ashcroft has a point. Here's a screenshot.

Not that it bothers me...I think I'm well and truly over the age of consent...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:50 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I'll take this report with a grain of salt.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 05:59 AM   #10
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Nice pic Memnoch, personally i would have put a sandwich in the balloon over the guys' head. [img]graemlins/showoff.gif[/img]