Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

This taught me alot about how strict some nations are...where Germany requires you to name your child appropriately so that his / her gender is clearly identified, and is not offensive in any way. One family tried to name their kid Osama bin Laden, according to this article.

It seemed to be worth mentioning here to talk about...as I am interested in whether only Germany and Turkey have the govt. regulated names. Of course...this is the secondary topic in this article, as the first is..."Should the couple be allowed to use that name? This article points out that Hitler is a taboo name in German, and not allowed to be used. Will Bin Laden or Hussein become part of that taboo?

Here is the article

[ 09-05-2002, 02:08 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-05-2002, 02:36 PM   #2
Lord Shield

well to be honest, calling a child a name like that will give them severe problems in later life anyway

as for the government issue, it's pointless. You can't destroy someone by trying to refuse to accept their name exists LOL!! or find them by making sure nobody else shares that name

i don't see what they hope to achieve other than being seen publicly to be against Osama

Old 09-05-2002, 02:40 PM   #3
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Forget the government...why in the name of all that's holy would someone want to name their kid "Osama Bin Laden"? [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] They must HATE their child!

-Saz

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 09-05-2002, 02:46 PM   #4
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
No, i think that's wrong. They must have the possibility to name their child whatever they want, even when it's a name like that. But it shows a lot about the parents in question here. What's the guy's name anyway ? Piece of crap ?
Old 09-05-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Well, there were a couple of parents that wanted to give 'strange' names to their children in Slovenia. They were rejected too. One of the names was Jezus Kristus (Jesus Christ) and the other one, believe it or not, Banka Slovenije, which means Bank of Slovenia. [img]tongue.gif[/img] These are the ones I can remember. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and wasn't there a French woman that named her kid after the car Megan Renault? Or I might be wrong, hehe. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh well, some parents are just weird... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

yeah well i say let them name their kid that. i will gaurantee that the child is going to grow up and hate his family. i guess it would be ok if i named my child adolph hitler?! bah, the ignorance of the morons in this world makes me want to become a hermit, and shoot anyone who steps onto my land. from the looks of the world today, that isnt too far off!!!
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 09-05-2002, 02:52 PM   #7
Sigmar
Unicorn

I agree with the government, mainly to protect the child itself. I wouldn't want a child named Osama Bin Laden, I would be extremely paranoid of it's safety all the time.

It's for the good of the child, it doesn't matter if it's important to the parents to name it Osama, it's just a name (I know it shouldn't matter than but there are some very short sighted people in this world who see things differantly).
Old 09-05-2002, 03:01 PM   #8
Jorath Calar
Harper

Well here in Iceland the government also controls what names can be given... it]s from that time that the hippies started concieving and were naming their poor kids "Yrsa Þ(Th)öll"(Makes no sense) or Hreinn Sveinn (A boy virgin) and "Eilíf Nótt"(Eternal night I almost like it though). The worst one was Rútur Skæringur... I worked with that guy and the poor fella was broken

Some people here think they are smart by giving their kids "intelligent" names that have some meaning and have no idea what they are doing to the poor kids.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:14 PM   #9
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
Well, there were a couple of parents that wanted to give 'strange' names to their children in Slovenia. They were rejected too. One of the names was Jezus Kristus (Jesus Christ) and the other one, believe it or not, Banka Slovenije, which means Bank of Slovenia. [img]tongue.gif[/img] These are the ones I can remember. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and wasn't there a French woman that named her kid after the car Megan Renault? Or I might be wrong, hehe. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Oh well, some parents are just weird... [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Well my American Grandmother gave me the name Monique Renault and I happen to like it very much! Its a hard name to be teased for in this country though, not to many people can even pronounce it correctly, and many less know that it is a French automobile and, if I am not mistaken, a French surname.

I think parent's should be allowed to name their children anything they want. Even the worst of them (Moon Unit, Dwiesel, and Ahmet Zappa come to mind) can overcome their stranger titles to become (fairly) normal people. (who likes totally normal anyway lol)
I can see why some countries would want Osama Bin Laden or Adolph Hilter banned but it doesn't take away what the parent's will teach their children based on the names they wanted to give them to begin with ya know?

Old 09-05-2002, 03:18 PM   #10
Kaltia
Jack Burton

My mother named me Kyra
I have a friend...Joanna King-Jo King, and her older brother is Wayne King. Go figure.

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.