Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)

Old 11-13-2002, 02:10 AM   #1
ultima
Dungeon Master

Question Mark

I have just completed w&w.
want to know about wizardry. Is it worth trying?
Is it good?
ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:15 AM   #2
Twisted Brother
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Yes, it is worth trying. Yes, it is good. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2002, 09:09 AM   #3
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

Very, very good. The Surgeon General should issue a warning though as it is also extremely addictive...
Old 11-15-2002, 07:38 AM   #4
Wolfie
Zhentarim Guard

LOL!

[img]smile.gif[/img]
Visit [url]\"http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.foerster.cc/wolfie</a> or [url]\"http://wiz8.web1000.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://wiz8.web1000.com</a> (US) for a spreadsheet that allows you to enter in your spellcaster\'s stats, and it will tell you what spells the character can learn, or for spells that they are not yet able to learn, it will tell you how many points they need, or why your character can\'t learn the spell.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 10:11 AM   #5
Desdicado
Zhentarim Guard

No, it's pants (IMHO). It's nothing like W&W, which I am just finishing too actually. Go for IWD2 as that's a great game.

What really sucks ass about wizardry 8 is the combat, 20 minute battles with weak enemies are the norm, you might say fair enough but wait til you get in one, it's not because you need a strategy or to think anything through but because the enemies move at minus 10 miles an hour.

Ironweed one moves- wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, .......Ironweed 27 moves Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle, yawn.

I found myself running away from anything vaguely hostile as I couldnt face another long winded encounter.

I sold the game on Amazon in the end. Buy IWD2 or Might and Magic 9, or in fact anything else.
Old 11-15-2002, 10:41 AM   #6
el_kalkylus
Drizzt Do'Urden

Once again Desdicado, you should have tried wizfast.exe. I think the game is very good, so good that I have played it over and over again.
Old 11-16-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It is the best game i have played so if you like W&W then you sure wil love Wizardry 8!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Megabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 02:32 PM   #8
Vaprakgruumsh
Drizzt Do'Urden

20 Minute battles??

Of course, when your party begins you don't have much for resources - no good weapons, no good spells, etc. (Unless you imported from Wizardry 7).

So naturally, battles are going to take longer, as your party grows.

In time, you will get a weapon (Bloodlust, for example) that makes any fighting class, a shredding machine, and a MESS of spells that will make your casters - both mages and priest type alike (death wish, asphixiation, Freeze Flesh, Turn Coat, etc etc), a force to be recokned with.

I am at a point now, where I can face about 20 monsters (as it often happens in the Rapax Castle), and be done with them in no more than about 2 minutes.

Charging up to them, my fighter and Valk and Rogue chew through them - while my mage casts any number of his fire level spells, or his asphixiation spell - and my priest does lifesteal, death wish, or any number of her spells...

And next thing I know, I am cleaning the blood off my blade and robes.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:34 PM   #9
Dandad
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Wizardry 8 is well worth the money IF AND ONLY IF you download wiz8Fast.zip which speeds up the action and makes the battles nearly bearable. Without this programme shave your head so you will not suffer unnecessarily during the battles...pulling it out by the handfull! Fortunately I never had this latter problem. But the dog now has a bad limp. lol
Otherwise it is great.

Don't get MM9 if you have played the other earlier titles because it is not and never will be finished, and so will prove a huge dissappointment. It is full of promise that is only partially fulfilled.
If you have never played MM then its has many interesting aspects e.g. kill the dragon that has 50,000 hp. a twisty "suicidal" plot etc. Come to think of it I probably will play it again....some day.
Old 11-17-2002, 02:25 AM   #10
John_Tesh
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I've heard about the program wiz8fast, but no one seems to know where to get it now...any thoughts?
John_Tesh is offline   Reply With Quote