Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > NWN Mod: Escape from Undermountain
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Has everyone given up on the Gauntlet? I don't recall hearing anyone lately say they're headed there.

Out of pure suicidal curiousity, my brand new dwarven fighter headed in last night. What a riot! She actually ran quite a ways before I finally admitted defeat [img]smile.gif[/img] . Son even made a comment that the purpose was to *not* die at every turn --

Does it still hold true that it's folly to try the Gauntlet at less than level 30+?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #2
Greything
Drizzt Do'Urden

I usually make sure I pick up Muriel's soul gem at some point.

I have no idea what it's for (perhaps it opens the door to the next level when that comes on line?).

As for the undead, spiders, etc Improved Evasion and blunt weapons are a big help (but then I would say that [img]smile.gif[/img] . The traps are something else. Attempt them at your peril - I hope that doesn't count as a spoiler.

And yes, I would not go in there at less than lvl 30 without cheating on armour and weapons.
Greything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

LOL, I remember wandering into Muriels when it was still in testing at the beginning and I had companions who died as much as I did... yah... I'd say it's a tough one without a good sized army or being higher levels!
Old 01-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I was there recently, with a higher level char, and was surprised at how much easier it seemed now than the last time I was there. I actually made it through the pendulums a few times w/out dieing, and actually got through them a couple of times unscathed. (Unless you count emotional duress from worrying about getting scathed...) I've been pretty much waiting for the announcement that she's fully operational now to go back.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #5
wellard
Dracolisk

With dex based characters like rougues I usually go through there and fully enjoy it. It seems to be made for those type of characters and i hope it remains that way! strength based fighters can stick to there Drow proving grounds [img]tongue.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #6
Mozenwrathe
Symbol of Cyric

Haven't been there in a while. I might try it out with some of my older characters when I start running them through the Undermountain again. Sure, they won't be as combat-ready as many other builds, but they were created with other themes in mind. After all, that IS what parties are for: big burly fighters or lithe wiry fighters protect everyone else - like the little crafting rogue with two shortswords glowing with red energy... Yeah... *grins* Still, I've taken pure fighter builds in there before and done alright for myself. Of course, that was JUST before I ran into a lich that refused to get hit. Ever. It was morally reprehensible. If and when I do go back to Muriel's Gauntlet, I am bringing spells with me. I haven't forgotten what's in there looking to carve the flesh from my bones.

What would be interesting, however, is everyone online one day drags one of the five henchmen to the Gauntlet to see how well they fare. Okay, we all KNOW Cookie is going to buy the farm early, but with the right equipment they MIGHT actually live to see the second level of the place! (That and some serious divine intervention I think.)
There are no paths to power which are not fraught with confrontation. No matter the battle, a lesson must be won. In the end, the path shall fade into nothingness for the one walking it, but may go on for eternity for those whom choose to follow. One must know their own footsteps before taking that first step, or instead of choosing your battles, your battles will choose you.
Mozenwrathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oh wait...you mean that there is no way to open the door? My brother and I probably spent an hour searching every nook and cranny...
Old 01-19-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally posted by dregnus:
Oh wait...you mean that there is no way to open the door? My brother and I probably spent an hour searching every nook and cranny...
Which door? The Gaunlet can be accessed through Skullport quite easily. At least, it could the other day.

(In the same corridor that leads to Ben's room there's a nice gardenesque area with a door and a guard (ignore him) - you have to wind around and around to get to the actual Gauntlet.)
Old 01-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
dregnus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Gauntlet I made it to. There was a locked door after a string of 3 pendulums that I couldn't figure out how to open.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

There's a switch you have to flip to unlock/open it, and it's timed, so you have to hurry.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote