Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Light Bulb Judge: Loughner can be made mentally fit for trial

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44703763...me_and_courts/

Quote:
A federal judge has ruled that the suspect in the Tucson shooting rampage can eventually be made mentally fit to stand trial.

U.S. District Judge Larry Burns on Wednesday extended Jared Lee Loughner's detention for four more months, saying that "measurable progress has been made" in restoring him to competency.

Loughner has been at a prison facility in Missouri the last four months after Burns found him mentally unfit for trial.

Experts have concluded Loughner suffers from schizophrenia, and prosecutors contend Loughner can be made competent with more mental health treatment. But Loughner's attorneys argue prosecutors have failed to prove that it's probable his condition will improve enough.

Loughner has pleaded not guilty to 49 charges stemming from the Jan. 8 shooting that killed six and wounded 13, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

Dr. Christina Pietz testified Wednesday that Loughner, who is being forcibly medicated, remains on suicide watch but is no longer having auditory hallucinations. She says she has no reason to think he won't keep getting better. Pietz has been treating Loughner at a Missouri prison facility.

Pietz added Loughner "understands that he has murdered people" and "talks about how remorseful he is."
Can anyone explain to me what will likely happen at this trial? Like, are they attempting to prosecute him as they would any other person?

If so, am I the only one that finds it inheritantly wrong to hold a mentally ill man responsible for crimes he committed while mentally ill? Maybe I am completely naive, but the concept of making him sane so he can be punished for things he did while insane is horrific to me - it's like cheating just so he can be sentenced. The prosecution seem to want the maximum penalty, and were almost devastated when he was determined to be mentally incompetent due to schizophrenia. He was not responsible for his actions, and like thousands of people, for years he went undiagnosed with a very serious mental disorder. Anyone have experience or knowledge of trials like this?
Old 09-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Default Re: Judge: Loughner can be made mentally fit for trial

He is crazy, plain and simple. Lock him up for life and be done with it.Or execute him. The making him sane for trial is just a show. There is no doubt of his guilt, sane or not. i am not a big death penalty advocate but in clear-cut cases like this I am for it. Sane or not he did it. And it should be expedited.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Hey, he feels remorse, therefore, allow him to serve some community time and be returned to society. Who knows, he might be a good aide for a member of congress.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
He is crazy, plain and simple. Lock him up for life and be done with it.Or execute him. The making him sane for trial is just a show. There is no doubt of his guilt, sane or not. i am not a big death penalty advocate but in clear-cut cases like this I am for it. Sane or not he did it. And it should be expedited.
But he is mentally ill. Like, schizo. The voices in his head told him to kill. Then they make him sane to stand trial for something he did while insane...wtf?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

It's no more outrageous or horrific than the libs and media blaming Sarah Palin for the shooting.

Loughner did kill 6 innocent people and wounded 13 others. Mentally ill or not, he is a very obvious threat to society and should be locked away in a prison or mental institute for the safety of everyone else.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Up Re: Judge: Loughner can be made mentally fit for trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerek View Post
It's no more outrageous or horrific than the libs and media blaming Sarah Palin for the shooting.

Loughner did kill 6 innocent people and wounded 13 others. Mentally ill or not, he is a very obvious threat to society and should be locked away in a prison or mental institute for the safety of everyone else.
Bah, she also gets a pass due to mental illness.

But on the issue, I agree lock him in a mental hospital, get him treatment and then let him out after a few year or so when he looks like he can function, but to throw him in a prison with "sane" murderers and rapists is unfair IMO. Pay attention to him, help him, put him through extensive therapy and rehab. Then let him out when hes sane. The end.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
Bah, she also gets a pass due to mental illness.

But on the issue, I agree lock him in a mental hospital, get him treatment and then let him out after a few year or so when he looks like he can function, but to throw him in a prison with "sane" murderers and rapists is unfair IMO. Pay attention to him, help him, put him through extensive therapy and rehab. Then let him out when hes sane. The end.
Shirley you cant be seroius. Theres a cell with no key the guy needs to be in. Or a chair.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Judge: Loughner can be made mentally fit for trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Alcohol View Post
Shirley you cant be seroius. Theres a cell with no key the guy needs to be in. Or a chair.
Really? If you had a family member that was schizophrenic, and they went off their meds somehow, grabbed your gun and then killed multiple people because the voices in their head told them to, you'd honestly feel they should be executed?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Really? If you had a family member that was schizophrenic, and they went off their meds somehow, grabbed your gun and then killed multiple people because the voices in their head told them to, you'd honestly feel they should be executed?
If you were the parent of the 9-year old girl killed by the schizophrenic, would you feel he should not be held responsible for her death because he wasn't taking his meds?
Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Quote:
Yep, or jailed for life.