Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 08-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #41
plenty
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Re: 23 Minutes!

old topic ;P

>Thanks, bsftcs. I'd forgotten what that entry room looked like >[img]smile.gif[/img]

>I'll have to try your suggestions when I get to a speed game, >plenty. I've actually run into the opposite issue with the door to >Cet's tomb: I've cleared out the bars, but the door was still there. >Conclusion of the Kerah-Cet confrontation removes it.

Confrontation 1st, and the entrance should be locked with bars only. Than vanish trough. If you remove bars, but the door are still there, vanish fails. If you remove both, there is no point in vanishing

Regarding teleportation for mavin sword. Go near the spire mountain, between it's wall and forest model, if u play a little, u can see a gap between textures, showing other side. That's the place from where (depending on vanish result) u will get to mavin sword or to the other side of the spire. To actually get mavin sword, you need to teleport trough another door. I think it was the upper one. Saves a LOT of time.

__________________________________________________ _____

Edit (12 years later, and W&W GoG version instead of Vanilla):

I think that some of this stuff is version specific and/or depends on hardware/software configuration.

a) I don't know how you guys get to the other side of the Dragon Spire. I run to the Shuregen(?) Castle, then turn right by the horse, and run to the Spire. Then I use the area where the forest meets the mountain, just by the Spire. There is a visible gap in the textures there, if you turn your head around. I just Vanish trough.

b) It is *possible* to get to the Mavin sword directly. It happened to me only once. I was standing on Torin's head, jumping and casting Vanish. I have not been able to repeat this.

c) Tree surfing does not work for me as well as it did on low-end graphics. I can tree-surf now only when running backwards and looking down. Going up the gate in the third town is also harder. I found that the only one way that works for me now is: I jump-run up, turn my head to the center of the gate when I nearly reach the top, and then the opposite way (towards the city wall).

d) In my version, there is a long lag before the Mermaid's script activates. I steal the Glowstone from her and ask about the Oracle, then run to place the portal near the rotating room, and when I'm back, the library grate is open.

e) You don't have to get any of the keys in the Cet's Tomb. After the Cet's confrontation with Kerah, the room area is loaded and the doors are open. You can Vanish right trough the bars into Cet's room.

f) Skipping (running in water when looking upwards) is indeed faster now than swimming backwards.

g) Teleporting to the portal set on water surface sends you to the bottom of the sea. Using both in succession is a bit faster then diving to the underwater city, if you can place the portal in the right place.

Not strictly related to the topic, but it can help to speed things up for new or returning players:

- Gem of the Ocean (or whatever the name of this amulet is) gives you Ironlung trait when Invoked. It can be sold and rebought for reuse. The party with Ironlung and masks does not need the rebreather? shells with them, so reruns are more managable. The same trick works with assassin's dagger, Kerah's Sword and most other items with Invoke that do not dissapear when used (Dragon Amulet does).

- The commonly known trick to pass the item (such as the assassin's dagger) do not work in my version (I can't do anything when the guildmaster is talking), EXCEPT for the Alibbabba(?) lamp. Use it, drop it, repeat on another character. I tend to ask for Power on each of my party members, then go back to the first town, create a character, ask for an item, pass it (and the lamp) over, then delete the new character.

- Cuffs are often dropped by the Highwayman near the first city.

- There is a chest that often contains a silver ring near the first city (go trough left town exit and stick to the right forest wall to get there). It's the chest with a horse roaming nearby. Save before opening the chest and reload till you get it. Restart adventures until you have enough rings for your party.

- Enchanting and Blessing. Enchanted items do not rise the cost of blessings. It is much cheaper to get two rings with part of the resists and part AC, than dedicated ones for each one.

- If you rob the King's Treasure chests, then do the Assassins Dager quest, when you come back via the lift, the chest area will be reloaded with new chests. I think that the game overwrites the game data with the area containing the tunnel that the rat dug. This contains the new, unopened chests.

- To cheese the dragon in your first game, attack him, then run to the dungeon loading area, and hide behind the wing of the opened doors. The dragon will go after you. As soon as he is half-way in, run and pull the lever. The doors will start slamming on him. If you move close the dragon and do nothing, you will lock him in a turn-mode. The doors will keep hitting him. This takes about 40 minutes to kill Earthsmeador. If your attack that turned him hostile missed, you may need to damage him at least once to get the credit for the kill.

- Bloodlust does not seem to be additive anymore. I used to use it to farm ankhs on that snake-guy near the first town's graveyard. He does not drop ankhs as often either. Does GoG version have the balance patch or something?

Cet Tomb key skip:
https://youtu.be/OQN19SL-zWA

Poorly executed skips and painful treesurfing from the start to the Sunken City:
https://youtu.be/G7SsJ23uYhE

Last edited by plenty; 09-01-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Update
plenty is offline   Reply With Quote