Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Shadow Stranger

Default Wizards and Warriors Editors

If anyone has programming skills, unlike me, they could create a W&W editor that works directly on any save game file. The two current editors work only on the file Roster.dat, this requires removing characters from the party at the Inn and so on.

Methodology
As far as I can tell, each PC has a record exactly 10,766 characters in length. The records occuring at the very end of the game are the only ones that really matter. So first find the total number of characters in the file, call this "S". Now (6*10,766) = 64,596. Thus subtract 64,596 from S, start the program at this hex address.

Now if there are less than six characters in the party, there won't be a valid record at this location. So the editor would need to be able to screen irrelevant material.

The contents of each record has been partially decrypted by me in my post in this forum.

(Note, the Roster.dat file has an initial section of 120 characters and 15 records of 10,232 characters. Hence the records are not exactly the same as the ones used by the save game file: so the two roster editor source codes would need to be altered before they could be used. I can't see any obvious differences in the 10,232 characters that the two types of records have in common.)

Fendris: Roster.dat Editor
  • The eight attributes
  • “Stats”: current hit points, maximum hit points, Gold, experience.
  • Skills
  • Traits
  • The current and maximum mana for the six spellbooks
http://www.abby-cheat.com/modules.ph...=show&lid=1205

Frederic: WWEdit
  • The eight attributes.
  • Miscellaneous: current hit points, maximum hit points, Gold, experience, level.
  • The skills
  • Role, Guild levels
http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/wiza...ads/wwedit.zip

Thus Roster.dat Editor is only needed for Traits or Mana.

Edit:
You will need to read the topic "Decrypting Save Game Files", which is found in this forum.

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 02-22-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Tell readers where to look for information
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote