Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 07:52 PM   #11
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

That's what I've been saying...mostly, anyway. The difference is that these "relatively populated areas" are far greater in number than they used to be, giving more targets.

But, anyway, before I drift too far off topic, and start sounding like I'm excusing terrorism, as something besides the most reprehensible thing in existence...

Why Indonesia? Why Bali? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:30 PM   #12
SecretMaster
Apophis

I think the death toll was raised to 25, that is what the article says now.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:44 PM   #13
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Interesting, just when I'm going to Bali this coming November. Think I should cancel it?
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:48 PM   #14
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
That's what I've been saying...mostly, anyway. The difference is that these "relatively populated areas" are far greater in number than they used to be, giving more targets.

But, anyway, before I drift too far off topic, and start sounding like I'm excusing terrorism, as something besides the most reprehensible thing in existence...

I'll try to clear the path for you...

Why Indonesia ?

Indonesia is the largest muslim nation in the world

Why Bali ?

Bali is very popular among western tourists.

Can you say "boooom" boys and girls ?
Old 10-01-2005, 10:32 PM   #15
SecretMaster
Apophis

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Interesting, just when I'm going to Bali this coming November. Think I should cancel it?
If problems persist in Bali and depending on how long your stay is I'd say cancel it. If things appear to cool down I think there is some risk.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #16
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Bali relies heavily on the tourist trade as do many centres in SE Asia. They were hit bad by the bombings 2 years ago and even worse by the tsunamis last christmas. Avoiding bali as a holiday spot only breeds the kind of discontent that fuels terrorism. Not that i think the Balinese themselves were responsible for this. Nor Indonesia as a whole. The 'ease' of carrying out an attack, coupled with a target area rich in Westerners made Bali a likely target.

Let's hope the Indonesians do as goood a job of apprehending the scum as they did last time. [img]smile.gif[/img] And let's also hope the court system doesn't fail this time...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #17
kev
Drizzt Do'Urden

Why Bali?
Bali is a Hindu island that relies on Western tourism.
In a country that has the biggest Muslim population in the world it is easy to find extremists that want the whole country for themselves.
Bali would be a thorn in their side. It is easy to destroy the economy there by driving out the tourists. You don't even have to kill many Muslims to do it.
This is the second attack on Bali in 3 years. The 1st killed over 200 people. It damaged the economy which has only just recovered. Now the tourism industry will be almost destroyed.
I have many Balinese friends & I don't know how they will live now. I will be sponsoring the education of a friends child because I know that he will no longer be able to afford an education. My friend Wayan will probably go back to his village near Singaraja where he will live a subsistance life. The land is fertile there so they will not starve, but even electicity is a luxury.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:18 AM   #18
wellard
Dracolisk

3 Aussies are dead, maybe if the Indonesian government got more serious about religious freaks than drug users this may have been thwarted.

sad, sad, sad.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:47 AM   #19
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Let's not count it in terms of aussie dead...
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Sever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:39 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Ilander:
Indonesia is a muslim nation with a huge muslim population and a moderate government. Muslim extremists everywhere like the governments of their countries to adhere to their twisted views on what religion means. They have no patience for moderate governments that try to deal and get on with the so called "western nations".

Indonesia has suffered a major bomb blast every October for the past 4 years (ie every year since 9/11). October is in the period / month leading into Ramadan, and this is the method that Jemah Islamia seems to be using as their calling card to remind moslems in this country about all the evils of the west and how they are still in there fighting the "good" (cough cough) fight.

Their first bombing in Bali in 2002 was their most "succesful" if you count success by westerners killed and injured and terrorised. It targetted the popular tourist spot of Bali. The 2003 and 2004 attacks were thankfully much less damaging, being directed in Jakarta at the Marriot Hotel and the Australian Embassy. These attacks killed much fewer people, and in each case the victims were predominantly Indonesian muslims. So while the statements of the targets showed ongoing attacks against western targets, the bombings in Jakarta alienated potential supporters because they mostly killed muslims.

Looks like this year they spotted poor old Hindu dominated Bali getting on its tourism feet once again and tried to go back to the recipe that has been most "succesful" for them.

I am glad to read your responses Ilander, and I agree that all too ofetn people put their head in the sand when the attacks are far away and a global response is required. While I am not a great fan of GW I agree for the need for his war on terror. Just a pity that that agenda has now got hijacked into being about the war on Iraq.

Iraq wasn't about terror to start with - it was about WOMD if you believed (like me) the lies or false evidence, or it was about other agendas (pappy's unfinished business, or don't you go thumbing your nose at me Saddam, or oil) if you believe other stories. The governement has since done a good job of confusing the occupation with the war on terror, and what with all the suicide terrorism now in the country aimed at the occupiers and the new administration it is no wonder that the vast majority of people now equate Iraq to the war on terror.

So ignoring the blurring of issues in Iraq, I am all for world wide co-operation that refuses to tolerate and deal with terrorism and works with both stick and education. Like you I don;t believe you can eliminate malcontentment, but there must be a better balance than what we have now.